The Best #2 Goalie in the league

villavelocity

I would say by far right now would have to be Abby in Montreal.

Though arguements could be made for Bryzgalov,emery and Toskola.

Is the idea of a "back up " goalie going the way of the center line?

I think we will see more teams have 1A and 1B a la Wild for many seasons.

Thoughts?

Jvilla

I would say by far right now would have to be Abby in Montreal.

Though arguements could be made for Bryzgalov,emery and Toskola.

Is the idea of a "back up " goalie going the way of the center line?

I think we will see more teams have 1A and 1B a la Wild for many seasons.

Thoughts?

Jvilla

I couldn't agree more with the 1a and 1b sentiment. I think in today's NHL you need two stud goaltenders to be a competitor. As an example (and I realize the season is young - I'm making no judgement on the Canes) but the Canes had Gerber and Ward last season. This year, with Ward and Grahame they had a really hard time getting started. Last year when one guy had a rough game, or the team lost a couple back to back they'd switch to the other to get the team back in it. They haven't had that luxury this year. On the other hand, look at Buffalo. Undefeated so far, juggling Biron and Miller. Ruff has already said that he's going to make sure they each play at least once a week this season, so they've pretty much got a 1a and 1b system in place.

Now - I think if Abby can get his game back he gives the Habs an excellent one two punch in net. Toskala and Nabakov are definitly up there as well, and I would say Miller and Biron are very strong also. Gerber and Emery are good, but I don't think they match up as well.

I couldn't agree more with the 1a and 1b sentiment. I think in today's NHL you need to stud goaltenders to be a competitor. As an example (and I realize the season is young - I'm making no judgement on the Canes) but the Canes had Gerber and Ward last season. This year, with Ward and Grahame they had a really hard time getting started. Last year when one guy had a rough game, or the team lost a couple back to back they'd switch to the other to get the team back in it. They haven't had that luxury this year. On the other hand, look at Buffalo. Undefeated so far, juggling Biron and Miller. Ruff has already said that he's going to make sure they each play at least once a week this season, so they've pretty much got a 1a and 1b system in place.

Now - I think if Abby can get his game back he gives the Habs an excellent one two punch in net. Toskala and Nabakov are definitly up there as well, and I would say Miller and Biron are very strong also. Gerber and Emery are good, but I don't think they match up as well.

I completely forgot about Miller and Biron.....

I completely forgot about Miller and Biron.....

They're an interesting duo. Biron has shown great potential throughout his career, but never been super succesful. Last year, once he'd lost the starting job, he came in during Miller's injury and won 13 straight. Obviously, he's a talented keeper, but he has his moments and can be a question mark if we have to rely on him in the playoffs or for an extended period (or he could be stellar - that's the paradox...) and while Miller was great in his rookie year last season, he's an older rookie than is traditional and never was able to break into the NHL and be a succesful keeper before last year. So far he looks good in net again, but you never know how reliable some of these can be until they get a few seasons under their belts. Still - I see them as a good duo, as long as they both stay on top of their games.

They're an interesting duo. Biron has shown great potential throughout his career, but never been super succesful. Last year, once he'd lost the starting job, he came in during Miller's injury and won 13 straight. Obviously, he's a talented keeper, but he has his moments and can be a question mark if we have to rely on him in the playoffs or for an extended period (or he could be stellar - that's the paradox...) and while Miller was great in his rookie year last season, he's an older rookie than is traditional and never was able to break into the NHL and be a succesful keeper before last year. So far he looks good in net again, but you never know how reliable some of these can be until they get a few seasons under their belts. Still - I see them as a good duo, as long as they both stay on top of their games.

where or where did the great don edwards go?

I think the two best duos are Nabokov/Toskala & Miller/Biron, with the edge going to the Sabres goalies right now.

I don't see Biron staying in Buffalo all year, but I've been wrong before.

I actually see them holding Biron all year, but we'll probably deal him in the off-season. Just a hunch. Biron's a team player and he seems, from the perspective of a Sabres fan, to be the kind of guy whose attitude is, now that I've started this season with you guys, I'm going to be a part of it until the end. We shall see.

Great to see some more members today.

I have got to go with Toskala and Nabokov. 2 stellar goalies.

I agree. I love our boys in Buffalo, but Toskala and Nabokov are incredible. I'd say there's a clear number one and then some competition for number two, in terms of goal tending duo's throughout the league.

Another backup I like is Budaj. He hasn't won me over but I see potential.

Budaj has a lot of potential, but very unfortunately, Jose Theodore isn't even living up to his potential as a #1, so the Avs don't really have claim to a great one-two punch. It's a shame, because Theodore used to be so much fun to watch and he just really seems to be struggling lately... Hopefully he'll get it back.

Abby has shown he's the better goalie right now, looks like he'll be facing off against Theo & the Avs Saturday night. If he keeps this up Carbo might have to name him his #1 goalie. Toskala and Biron are right up there as well.

Abby has shown he's the better goalie right now, looks like he'll be facing off against Theo & the Avs Saturday night. If he keeps this up Carbo might have to name him his #1 goalie. Toskala and Biron are right up there as well.

Yeah - Abby is playing well. The only question is whether or not Huet is ever going to play like he did last year again. If he's unable to show that kind of skill this year, than I'd say Montreal has one of the top duo's in the league, but gets over shadowed by at least San Jose, maybe Buffalo as well, though Biron is just as iffy sometimes.