Taking pictures of a hockey jersey

JustAnothaVictim

I'm thinking of taking new pictures of my collection but I don't know how I should present them. I don't know what to do with the sleeves. I like showing the complete sleeve number but this way it makes the sleeve look weird and short. Any ideas?

Should I keep it the old way:

2152674870054115799AgxGLK_th.jpg

Or should I do it like this:

2344555710054115799zgwGxM_th.jpg

What about the background? Mine doesn't really turn me on. I took an old idea of mine taking pictures of jerseys "leaning" on my collection (is this correct English?)

I'm planning to use that background for ebay auctions like I did a few years ago.

Here's what I mean:

PIT_Crosby_away_01.JPG

I think one number showing from each sleeve is good so the sleeves look normal length and the collection in the background is way too busy.

My eyes are looking past the jersey and focusing in on the Avalanche shoulder patches.

I think one number showing from each sleeve is good so the sleeves look normal length and the collection in the background is way too busy.

My eyes are looking past the jersey and focusing in on the Avalanche shoulder patches.

I guess, you're right with the background. I makes my eyes sore when I look at it for too long. But I'll keep that idea for ebay auctions. What do you use as a background? Could be a big dry wall? :D

• 1 month later...

I had completely missed this thread somehow.

I personally like the way your Shanahan is positioned better. As for the background, I just lay the jerseys on my bed and stand on something so I can get a full shot on them from somewhat of a straight angle.

I'm curious about the background that JeffB uses.

It's white seamless paper that comes on a big roll. The original roll was cut down to four feet wide to fit on a sheet of plywood that was tipped up at an angle. It makes it a lot easier to shoot "straight down" onto the jersey without the inconvenience of having to be directly overhead.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Do any of you guys have any tips for lighting or camera settings? I took pictures of my jerseys today for the first time, and I'm not too excited about they way they turned out. I'm selling a few jerseys and I needed to get pics of those, so I haven't started with my actual collection yet (I want to make sure I get this down first!). Also, is there also a method that you use to get them to lay flat? Any tips on anything?!

Do any of you guys have any tips for lighting or camera settings? I took pictures of my jerseys today for the first time, and I'm not too excited about they way they turned out. I'm selling a few jerseys and I needed to get pics of those, so I haven't started with my actual collection yet (I want to make sure I get this down first!). Also, is there also a method that you use to get them to lay flat? Any tips on anything?!

I generally lay them out on the bed and just fidget with them until I get them to look somewhat decent for the pictures. As for camera settings, I don't do anything special, I just try to make sure that the lighting is pretty good then I just point, focus, and shoot. Sometimes I have to redo them, but for the most part the reshoots are because of me messing up.

What kind of camera do you guys use for taking jersey pics?

I have a Pentax Optio 555 that I have been using for a few years now.

I'm using a Nikon Coolpix S210.