EBay

Brilliant!

I do a lot of jersey searching on eBay. I don't necessarily do a whole lot of buying, but I search a lot just to observe what kind of jerseys people are moving. The one thing that absolutely drives me insane is what little knowledge there is. It seems that about 90% of the sellers have about WHAT they're selling. For example, I came across a Florida Panthers jersey yesterday and the person had it listed as an 'Authentic Florida Panthers jersey!!'. So, being the curious cat I am, I was inclined to ask him if there was a fighting strap on the back. His response was basically, "Huh??" I had to physically explain to him what it was I was looking for because he had no clue. I was so irritated at this that I scolded him in my response; telling him that he shouldn't claim the jersey as authentic if it wasn't an actual authentic.

Unfortunately, this seems to happen more times than not. Just about every 'authentic' jersey I find, turns out to be a dud. Somebody needs to educate these people because buyers are being deceived.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do a lot of jersey searching on eBay. I don't necessarily do a whole lot of buying, but I search a lot just to observe what kind of jerseys people are moving. The one thing that absolutely drives me insane is what little knowledge there is. It seems that about 90% of the sellers have about WHAT they're selling. For example, I came across a Florida Panthers jersey yesterday and the person had it listed as an 'Authentic Florida Panthers jersey!!'. So, being the curious cat I am, I was inclined to ask him if there was a fighting strap on the back. His response was basically, "Huh??" I had to physically explain to him what it was I was looking for because he had no clue. I was so irritated at this that I scolded him in my response; telling him that he shouldn't claim the jersey as authentic if it wasn't an actual authentic.

Unfortunately, this seems to happen more times than not. Just about every 'authentic' jersey I find, turns out to be a dud. Somebody needs to educate these people because buyers are being deceived.

...or just do your shopping from where people are extremely knowledgeable about what they are selling (hint hint) :thumbsup:

I've seen that and my Peter Forsberg jersey was listed as the same way when I got mine off of ebay, I was more after the Forsberg jersey than anything. I know of a few sellers who have a bad habit of that on there.

I used ebay for mostly minor league jerseys and have occassionally emailed the seller with the correct information on what is for sale. Not replica vs. authentic, more like what team it is, especially when it comes to some of the scarcer ones. Sometimes, there are no bids on them because the seller doesn't have a clue what he or she is selling and that's when I can swoop in and get a great deal on a rare jersey. That's how I got my Traktor jersey.

A lot of sellers abuse the word, "authentic", and it is definitely caveat emptor out there on ebay.

...or just do your shopping from where people are extremely knowledgeable about what they are selling (hint hint)

Heh...that's why I said I do a lot of searching! It's actually very rare for me to buy something from eBay. It has to be something of great quality, which they don't often have. Don't worry though...I know where to go when I want the good stuff!

Sometimes, there are no bids on them because the seller doesn't have a clue what he or she is selling and that's when I can swoop in and get a great deal on a rare jersey. That's how I got my Traktor jersey.

Yeah, that is true. That's how I got an authentic Nords jersey a few weeks ago. Sometimes you CAN hit the jackpot...just not always.

I used ebay for mostly minor league jerseys and have occassionally emailed the seller with the correct information on what is for sale. Not replica vs. authentic, more like what team it is, especially when it comes to some of the scarcer ones. Sometimes, there are no bids on them because the seller doesn't have a clue what he or she is selling and that's when I can swoop in and get a great deal on a rare jersey. That's how I got my Traktor jersey.

A lot of sellers abuse the word, "authentic", and it is definitely caveat emptor out there on ebay.

Yeah to them authentic means not a fake, instead of the on ice jersey that the players wear.

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of eBay, I came across this today.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dave-Babych-Signed-and...1QQcmdZViewItem

It seems a little too good to be true. A game-worn jersey? I mean the fight strap is there but I don't know...it seems like this guy is way too careful enough to NOT show the arms of this jersey and that is the true way to tell if it's an actual 80's version of the Whalers jersey. Only if the stripes on the arm are angled is it really the right style. Straight up and down stripes would indicate a fake...which I've seen many times on eBay. ALSO he doesn't show the tags. I'm perplexed yet intrigued. Obviously those puck and stick marks can be fabricated fairly easily too. Any opinions on this? If it's the real deal then I'm interested.

http://cgi.ebay.com/AUTHENTIC-CCM-88-QUEBE...1QQcmdZViewItem

"AUTHENTIC CCM 88 QUEBEC NORDIQUES JOE SAKIC HM JERSEY" I see that line and I think I'm gonna really see something rare, a Joe Sakic 88# jersey from his rookie season...only to find that its 19#. I hate it when people do that on there!

Seeing all those Whalers jerseys makes me really miss the Whale. Those jerseys they had at the end were sharp!

@Brilliant

You need to find out what size Dave Babych wore with the Whalers. Size 44 seems a little too small to me. I'm not even sure if they really used an airknit jersey with that weird looking CCM logo in the hem, isn't this supposed to be a mesh jersey?

@ZoomZoom18

That Sakic jersey is just a replica. Even the back numbers look pretty small too, they look like 10 inch numbers to me

@Brilliant

You need to find out what size Dave Babych wore with the Whalers. Size 44 seems a little too small to me. I'm not even sure if they really used an airknit jersey with that weird looking CCM logo in the hem, isn't this supposed to be a mesh jersey?

@ZoomZoom18

That Sakic jersey is just a replica. Even the back numbers look pretty small too, they look like 10 inch numbers to me

Size 44? Uh, no way. That's a tiny jersey and Babych is listed as 6 feet, 220 pounds. I'm 5' 9" and 170 lbs and I can't cram into a 44 without pads. Also the seller's feedback rating is a big, fat 1 so I'd stay away from that one.

As for the Sakic numbers looking small, the jersey is a tent-sized 58 jumbo. They are probably normal size numbers, just somewhat out of proportion to the size of the canvas they are on.

JeffB

What I can't stand is when sellers note the jerseys are in "good" or "great" condition despite it being used or worn. Got a Bruins jersey that was listed as "great" with no damage, worn spots, etc. When I received it, the crest looked like it had been worked over by a seam ripper, as the majority of the stitches were in terrible shape. I e-mailed the seller with the complaint but didn't expect any resolution since he used the "vintage clothing, sold as-is" cop-out. And of course, the photos were taken down immediately after the auction.

I turned it around on eBay but with proper, honest photos and description. Still managed to unload it for about $20, but ###### I was mad.

The last jersey I got was a vintage Sabres where there was a discrepancy in the listing and description about the size, so I asked the seller to take a picture of the tag. Sure enough, it was a large as written so I took a chance. It showed up in great shape :)

As for the Sakic numbers looking small, the jersey is a tent-sized 58 jumbo. They are probably normal size numbers, just somewhat out of proportion to the size of the canvas they are on.

JeffB

I heard, that seller sells lots of jersey with 10 inch back numbers. Besides that, how can a replica jersey be size 58? ;)

Ha! I didn't even notice that was a 3XL or "size 58" they were selling. I was hoping I was going to see an 88# Joe Sakic jersey. I've noticed that seller always has plenty of Avs jerseys that begin at 9.99. My first Ebay purchase was a Forsberg jersey from that seller who also has an alter ego on there btw. The name plate is TINY compared to the numbers. I will say this, I have not had any desire to buy from said seller again...

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, enough with all the bad stuff from eBay. Whatta bout the good stuff?

Check out the auctions this seller has (one of them is that Hextall I'm looking at): http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZpar4youpar

This is one of the items: http://cgi.ebay.com/Starter-Authentic-Cent...1QQcmdZViewItem

15d9_1_b.JPG

1651_1.JPG

1700_1.JPG

174e_1.JPG

What do you think?

Oh man...a Starter mesh authentic? Go for it. You don't see them very often nowadays and they're worth EVERY penny.

ZoomZoom18, I believe that is your cue. :thumbsup:

Of course! My starter Avalanche authentic is one of my most prized possessions. I got it from some catalog named 1-800-Pro-Team when I was in high school. The last 52 (XL) available and it went to me, also for the price of $85, they were having some bigtime sale, I also got a Coyotes semi-pro for $25. *sniff* I had it on in my senior pic. You won't regret that buy! Its a very nice jersey to wear and pretty comfortable.

Heh...I noticed that too but that jersey's just too nice to bicker about something like that! Maybe it was the prototype??

Heh...I noticed that too but that jersey's just too nice to bicker about something like that! Maybe it was the prototype??

No, the Starter logo from 95-96 looked like the one on my Sakic. BTW, the Avalanche was the only team that wore Starter jerseys in 95-96

http://sports.webshots.com/photo/1325484099054115799mipyJV