All teams to play each other next season

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/8171806...-'09-season

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said every team in the league will play all the others at least once next season. The announcement came Saturday before Game 1 of the finals between Pittsburgh and Detroit, two teams that did not meet this regular season.

I'm happy to see this and its going to be nice to see some more Eastern Conference teams come through the desert next season.

Any thoughts?

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/8171806...-'09-season

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said every team in the league will play all the others at least once next season. The announcement came Saturday before Game 1 of the finals between Pittsburgh and Detroit, two teams that did not meet this regular season.

I'm happy to see this and its going to be nice to see some more Eastern Conference teams come through the desert next season.

Any thoughts?

Nothing short of each team playing each other home and away would satisfy me. As a ticket buyer, I want a chance to see all the teams in person every year. If the NBA can do it, why is it so hard for the NHL?

Nothing short of each team playing each other home and away would satisfy me. As a ticket buyer, I want a chance to see all the teams in person every year. If the NBA can do it, why is it so hard for the NHL?

I agree with you on this! The NBA does pull it off, aren't there like 29 teams there too? I didn't even think about that until you brought it up. There's no reason the NHL shouldn't try to find a way on this, especially if they want to exploit the Crosby and Ovechkin phenomena. Bringing those two into each city each season could also probably really help the attendance in struggling cities.

The NBA has 30 teams just like the NHL.

The NBA schedule breaks down like this.

4 games against every team in your division = 16 games.

2 games against every team in the other conference (home and away with each team) = 30 games

The other 10 teams have 4 games against 6 teams and 3 games against the other 4 teams = 36 games

36+30+16 = 82 just like the NHL.

Could also break it down like this.

5 games against each divisional opponent = 20 games (Teams would alternate each year as to who got the extra home game in the series)

Home and away against other conference = 30 games

8 teams get 3 games and 2 teams get 4 games = 32 games

20+30+32 = 82

One last option if you want to keep the divisional heavy schedule is

6 games against each Divisional opponent = 24 games

home and away against other conference = 30 games

8 teams play 3 games and 2 teams play 2 = 28 games

24+30+28 = 82