2008 Free Agency

Pierre Marc-Bouchard signs a 5 year / $20.4 million deal to stay with the Wild. Good signing by the Wild to keep one of their young talents in town for the next few years.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pierre Marc-Bouchard signs a 5 year / $20.4 million deal to stay with the Wild. Good signing by the Wild to keep one of their young talents in town for the next few years.

And a very underrated player, at that. Great set-up man, yet can pop the puck in himself whenever need be. Great signing by Minnesota!

And a very underrated player, at that. Great set-up man, yet can pop the puck in himself whenever need be. Great signing by Minnesota!

That guy is definitely a force every time I watch Wild games. Good signing.

Jay Bouwmeester signs a 1 year deal with the Panthers. Probably just to give them time to continue negotiations on a long-term deal without the fear of an offer sheet.

Jay Bouwmeester signs a 1 year deal with the Panthers. Probably just to give them time to continue negotiations on a long-term deal without the fear of an offer sheet.

Or the flexibility to ship him out of town at the trade deadline. Good times there in South Florida.

He's going to have a nice UFA experience coming up, with the money Campbell got, he's sure to get about the same if not more.

I agree, he will be a marquee name next offseason (which should be crazy from a dollars perspective).

I agree, he will be a marquee name next offseason (which should be crazy from a dollars perspective).

I'd pay him the money before I'd pay Campbell what he got, and I think the salaries got too insane this summer. Good to see that lockout worked out for something. I'm curious to see how many of these big money free agent signings are going to be trade fodder come the trade deadline. I've already heard rumors about Gomez being moved out of New York.

I'd pay him the money before I'd pay Campbell what he got, and I think the salaries got too insane this summer. Good to see that lockout worked out for something. I'm curious to see how many of these big money free agent signings are going to be trade fodder come the trade deadline. I've already heard rumors about Gomez being moved out of New York.

I guess that's not a surprise as the Rangers dished out a lot of money with little return plus there seems to be a lack of chemistry. Still with the length of his contract, I think he would be hard to ship.

I think what was interesting about this offseason was the compensation for the people who weren't "names" went up considerably to about $4mil per season which means when more "names" come on the market next year their asking price will be huge based on what Campbell and others got.

i haven't seen anything about the Rangers trying to get rid of Gomez - from what I've read they are looking to hand the team over to Drury and Gomez. the chemistry issues were mainly between the two of them as centers with Jagr as a winger. last year it was Jagr's team - leading to the Rangers having the two highest paid 2nd and 3rd line centers in the league, and a rookie - Dubinsky - being the top line center for much of the year. as much as i grew to like Jagr, i think his departure was for the best for the future of the team.

actually Gomez and Drury are two parts of the Rangers i'm not worried about. it's the off-season signings of Redden and Naslund that worry me more and make me think may come back to haunt the blueshirts. the Zherdev trade i think will probably turn out well, but due to his age it may take a season or two.

i haven't seen anything about the Rangers trying to get rid of Gomez - from what I've read they are looking to hand the team over to Drury and Gomez. the chemistry issues were mainly between the two of them as centers with Jagr as a winger. last year it was Jagr's team - leading to the Rangers having the two highest paid 2nd and 3rd line centers in the league, and a rookie - Dubinsky - being the top line center for much of the year. as much as i grew to like Jagr, i think his departure was for the best for the future of the team.

actually Gomez and Drury are two parts of the Rangers i'm not worried about. it's the off-season signings of Redden and Naslund that worry me more and make me think may come back to haunt the blueshirts. the Zherdev trade i think will probably turn out well, but due to his age it may take a season or two.

I tend to think that Jagr leaving may actually be good for the team as well. They've been on the cusp the last couple of years and I have a feeling their run in the Cup Finals is coming up within the next year or two.

I was watching the NHL network last night and I have to admit, I was amazed by the available names out there that they were rolling on the bottom of th screen, like Yelle, Gelinas (I'm a Gelinas fan myself), Murray, Parrish, and Nagy just to name a few.

Numminen signs a 1 year deal with Buffalo.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3526037

I always liked him when he played for the Coyotes - didn't cost the Sabres too much, hopefully it'll work out for him and them.

I always liked him when he played for the Coyotes - didn't cost the Sabres too much, hopefully it'll work out for him and them.

Good price at 1.1 for the season.

I for one am eagerly awaiting training camp. Let's get it on!

Class player, hopefully the Sabres are in it this year and he gets a chance at the Cup either there or somewhere else. I hate to see players with long tenures in their entire career without winning a Cup or playing in the Finals when they retire.

I don't know if its going to happen this year ZZ. I thought 2 years ago when they maxed out the cap with Danny and Drury was their shot and they didn't make it then. I have my doubts about this team. That's why they play the games though, to prove me wrong!

Ditto for me brother, I tend to think he's going to come back. I have a feeling we haven't seen the last of him in the NHL and that's a good thing.

I hope so as well. He doesn't quite have the jump he used to but its great seeing him out on the ice.

• 2 weeks later...

Sakic signed a 1 year deal with the Avalanche. Glad to see him coming back again this season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3556394

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/64373

Shanahan a Duck? I'm still curious how they are going to get underneath the cap, but I'd still love to see him head out there.

The Lightning made a big trade. Gotta give it to their new owner, he's not afraid to make a splash.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/hock...s.ap/index.html

I agree, the Lightning ownership group is definitely trying to make enough changes to go from 1st overall pick to try and win the Cup. I think they got enough to get into the playoffs, but I think they need to improve in net a bit more. Kolzig will help, but not enough to win it all.

• 2 weeks later...

Eric Staal staying in Carolina for a while. 7 years $57.75 million extension. Good job by Carolina to lock up their top player.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=249130&amp...os=topStory_nhl