Islanders TV

SteveNJ

Check this out, it's some pretty cool stuff. You can watch exclusive stuff, including LIVE practices with commentary and without.

Just go to NewYorkIslanders.com

Yeah, they do, but I mean, not as in depth as that. Man, I would love that kind of coverage.

At least you can watch all your team's games in English! Anglophone Canadiens fans have to accept watching about 75% of the televised games in French only. English broadcasts of Habs games are getting more rare each season.

At least you can watch all your team's games in English! Anglophone Canadiens fans have to accept watching about 75% of the televised games in French only. English broadcasts of Habs games are getting more rare each season.

Gotta be difficult for transplants to the area, then again from what I remember about Montreal is that they would rather speak 100% french and eliminate the English from the vocabulary. (Note: I know this isn't all people in Montreal)

Gotta be difficult for transplants to the area, then again from what I remember about Montreal is that they would rather speak 100% french and eliminate the English from the vocabulary. (Note: I know this isn't all people in Montreal)

Well, Montreal is probably 35 to 40% Anglophone (just a guesstimate). And most Montrealers (French or English), accept and embrace the multiculturalism of this city... it is one of the aspects that make Montreal so unique. so, I wouldn't say your statement is really true of the people here today. However the province of Quebec as a whole is about 85% Francophone, so pretty much anywhere outside Montreal is French, and there your statement may be more true. In addition, government language regulations are aimed at protecting French as the official language of the province (Montreal included), so that really hurts the city's image in the eyes of visitors. You can't drive on a highway and find an English sign anywhere. Even when safety is a concern, the government is more concerned with protecting the French language, then making sure 100% of the public can understand a sign.

Well, Montreal is probably 35 to 40% Anglophone (just a guesstimate). And most Montrealers (French or English), accept and embrace the multiculturalism of this city... it is one of the aspects that make Montreal so unique. so, I wouldn't say your statement is really true of the people here today. However the province of Quebec as a whole is about 85% Francophone, so pretty much anywhere outside Montreal is French, and there your statement may be more true. In addition, government language regulations are aimed at protecting French as the official language of the province (Montreal included), so that really hurts the city's image in the eyes of visitors. You can't drive on a highway and find an English sign anywhere. Even when safety is a concern, the government is more concerned with protecting the French language, then making sure 100% of the public can understand a sign.

Thanks for clarifying that. The last time I was in Montreal was back in 1993 so I wasn't 100% sure.

• 1 month later...

When I was in Montreal in 2002, the French on the road signs (1st = 1re, etc) drove me nuts. I expected this. Even at Olympic Stadium (I saw an Expos game), everything was in French, including snack bar menus. I had to guess on a lot of things. The hardest for me was getting by on the subway. I couldn't read or pronounce half the stops on there. I was lucky to not miss any stops. Montreal is a cool city and someday I'd like to go back to visit.

And what is the fascination Montreal has with POUTINE? I didn't try any, but it's everywhere. Fast-food restaurants, concession stands, you name it.

I noticed that on the Center Ice package this year. The first time it was kind of a funny novelty, but the fourth time, it was more like "Uh, you guys. I'm not really getting my money's worth here."

JeffB

Heh...that's true. Every now and then they'll throw the RDS French broadcast out there for the Habs. I think it's hysterical. ET LA BOOOOOOOO!! or whatever they say when someone scores.

Heh...that's true. Every now and then they'll throw the RDS French broadcast out there for the Habs. I think it's hysterical. ET LA BOOOOOOOO!! or whatever they say when someone scores.

If you can understand French, the RDS crew actually does a pretty decent job of calling the game and they make it entertaining. If not, I guess you're just SOL. Et la Buuuuuuuut! (but=goal).