Avery Out Indefinitely

SabreFaninNYC

Gone for talking about his ex and a d-man who could hit him into next week. Do you think its justified?

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/R...ortsHockey/home

Personally, if you want to fine him ok, but the NHL stepping in for an indefinite suspension is a bit redonkulous. I don't like what he said but if there was any suspension it should come from the team. The NHL will have everyone toeing the line if it kills em methinks.

I agree that the league should not have been the one to suspend him. It should have been a team matter.

The comments should not have been made, and the fact that he basically looked for the media to go and say what he did was even more uncalled for.

I think its ridiculous that this is anything more than a fine.

It should have been and probably would have been settled on the ice by Phanuef.

An indefinite suspension? Come on, this is non-sense ... the league doesn't address issues of player safety after a vicious hit this swiftly or with this kind of open-ended punishment.

I can't believe the league is making such a big deal about this!!! Phanuef seems like a stand up guy, and after the Bertuzzi incident, I'm sure he wouldn't dare let it get that far.

The team said the same day that if the league had not suspended Avery, they would have.

I also heard speculation that the league suspended Avery in part to avoid having Phaneuf settle it on the ice.

The indefinite suspension is most likely because Avery is a repeat offender. "Offender" as in repeated offensive comments!

In this modern, image is everything age, the league cannot stand by and do nothing when a line is crossed. Avery leaves them no option when he not only rips a fellow player, but offends a famous Canadian actress with a very high public profile by using a term generally reserved for drunken sluts.

Decision is allegedly coming down today.

I just hope its a "time served" type of thing because anything longer and he is getting a worse penalty then hits to the head.

Decision is allegedly coming down today.

I just hope its a "time served" type of thing because anything longer and he is getting a worse penalty then hits to the head.

I don't have a link handy, but I saw an AP newswire story listing the suspension at 6 games - the 2 he's already missed and 4 more.

With all of the drama caused by players in other professional sports (on and off the field) I think what Avery said was tame and the whole thing just shows how ridiculous Bettman and the NHL can be.

Edit link added:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=396352

I don't have a link handy, but I saw an AP newswire story listing the suspension at 6 games - the 2 he's already missed and 4 more.

With all of the drama caused by players in other professional sports (on and off the field) I think what Avery said was tame and the whole thing just shows how ridiculous Bettman and the NHL can be.

Edit link added:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=396352

Right, its not the fact he was punished for the comments it was how the punishment was handled. The NHL really is like the keystone cops when it comes to how they run things.

What was wrong with how it was handled? They suspended him indefinitely, met with him, and announced how long the suspension was.

Yea, other players may say worse things, but Avery was warned by both Campbell and Bettman in the past and specifically told not to mention Phaneuf and Cuthbert before going to Calgary. The reporters didn't even bring it up, Avery sought them out and shot his mouth off. He got suspended as much for his actions as his words, especially while on double-NOT-secret-probation.

And just to back up the NHL, the Stars said if the league didn't suspend him, they would have.

What was wrong with how it was handled? They suspended him indefinitely, met with him, and announced how long the suspension was.

Personally I think the team should have suspended him not the NHL and then the length of the suspension becomes longer than violent incidents that happen on the ice. Not to say that speech and on ice conduct should be judged similarly but the NHL seems to be much more reactionary to something like this than hits the head which this situation only served to illustrate.

Avery's league suspension is done, but the Stars have told Avery that he is done as a Dallas Star.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3768552

Don't think they will be able to trade that 4 year $15.5 million contract.

Avery's league suspension is done, but the Stars have told Avery that he is done as a Dallas Star.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3768552

Don't think they will be able to trade that 4 year $15.5 million contract.

I wonder where he'll end up. I can't see his NHL career ending just yet. I think the best option for the Stars would be to waive him. I think there's a few teams out there that would pick him up. At least they wouldn't have to pay his full salary.

I'm sure there are very many who will disagree with me, but Avery is a decent player. No, he'll never be a top scorer but I admit I was surprised at how well he played with the Rangers last season - even spending some time on the first line with Jagr. He's a pest - not an enforcer - and honestly I think it's a necessary role on some teams. There's nothing Avery's done on the ice (including the Brodeur stunt in the playoffs) that I have a problem with. Even some of the off ice stuff I think has been blown out of proportion - if he played for the Bengals or the Cowboys in the NFL he'd look like an altar boy. The only thing that I can't agree with is the stories I've heard about him not being a team player in the locker room or during practices. Maybe this happened in NY and it was just covered up, or maybe his new contract went to his head (most likely). I think if he can get a handle on this, he can find a home with another NHL team and possibly prosper.

I'm sure there are very many who will disagree with me, but Avery is a decent player.

Watching him play against the Sabs he was a punk but an effective punk and I always respected him for that. I think a lot of guys were willing to put up with his personality if he was producing (like in NY) but with Dallas absolutely collapsing I think management was looking for a distraction and they got one.

I'm sure there are very many who will disagree with me, but Avery is a decent player. No, he'll never be a top scorer but I admit I was surprised at how well he played with the Rangers last season - even spending some time on the first line with Jagr. He's a pest - not an enforcer - and honestly I think it's a necessary role on some teams. .

I totally agree. He has a role on the team, and he plays that role very very well. He is also a very skilled player, unfortunatly some of his antics take the attention away from the good things he does while on the ice.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I got to see him play with the Kings in Phoenix in 2006. I was impressed overall at his game, he stood out to me quite a bit that game right up there with Kopitar (believe it or not).

Good player but terrible in the locker room. Sounds like the NHL finally has their version of TO!