SteveNJ

Eklund  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Eklund is...

• A Misunderstood Genius
    • Really Pete Eklund
    • A Complete Moron
    • Gary Bettman

Just thought it'd be fun to get your opinion on the infamous Eklund.

I've actually dealt with Eklund quite a bit, and in person he is a pretty decent guy. I wouldn't necessarily call him a 'misunderstood genius', but that was the only option that is in support of him. What I can say about him is that he is definitely plugged into a number of key insiders (I can attest to that legitimacy - he isn't making up who he speaks with). He really just started his blog pretty innocentlyand was in the right place at the right time and benefitted from the fans total lack of access to information during the lockout. I give him credit for taking that momentum and building it into a brand and a business, though I can also see why so many have turned against him - he started to build a business out of his turn of good fortune, and he really isn't a great business man.

• 3 months later...
I've actually dealt with Eklund quite a bit, and in person he is a pretty decent guy. I wouldn't necessarily call him a 'misunderstood genius', but that was the only option that is in support of him. What I can say about him is that he is definitely plugged into a number of key insiders (I can attest to that legitimacy - he isn't making up who he speaks with). He really just started his blog pretty innocentlyand was in the right place at the right time and benefitted from the fans total lack of access to information during the lockout. I give him credit for taking that momentum and building it into a brand and a business, though I can also see why so many have turned against him - he started to build a business out of his turn of good fortune, and he really isn't a great business man.

The way I look at Ek is that really whether you believe him or not he has established an online community to talk about hockey with other fans as well as beat writers for various teams. Its a great site for that purpose and the rumors (whether real or not) just adds a littl ebit of grease to the proceedings.

He is the NHL's National Enquirer in my opinion, mostly untrue but yes sometimes he gets one right. I do like that he has created a great area for hockey articles to read. A lot of team analysis.

I started reading Eklunds blog, going in his chat, and posting on his forum in December 2005, I stood up for him when people trashed him, and was a loyal member of the site. Now I can't even get into that Arse holes chat because of the season ticket thing. I PMed him asking could there be a chat for the non STers, but he hasn't responded.

I started reading Eklunds blog, going in his chat, and posting on his forum in December 2005, I stood up for him when people trashed him, and was a loyal member of the site. Now I can't even get into that Arse holes chat because of the season ticket thing. I PMed him asking could there be a chat for the non STers, but he hasn't responded.

Leafy, while I am happy about contributing money to keep the site going, the reality is that you don't get much bang for your buck. The chats are one of the only things for STH's like me can get rather than the people who just sign up for free. I have lobbied for another chat forum for everyone else but the Hockeybuzz folks don't see my viewpoint.