Player slashes ref

ZoomZoom18

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/hock...n.ap/index.html

"Tampa Bay farmhand Steve Downie was suspended for 20 games by the American Hockey League on Thursday for slashing an official with his stick late in a Feb. 28 game for the Norfolk Admirals"

Downie is a punk, a headhunter. I remember last season when he was with the Phantoms they came into Cleveland and tried to rough up the Monsters and got hammered. Downey lost two fights and spent all night hitting after the whistle and taking runs at players, all the time running his mouth. Twenty games is not enough. Anyone remember his dirty hit in the preseason with the Flyers a while back? He was suspended for that, too. Punk. No talent at all.

Wasn't he the one who blasted Dean McAmmond in the preseason last year? And then elbowed Ryan Kesler in the head? And then laid out Patrice Bergeron? He's a piece of crap.

While Avery is stupid with his mouth, Downie is stupid in a much more dangerous way.

He was a perfect player for the flyers!

He was a perfect player for the flyers!

Who traded for yet another enforcer at the deadline!

Downie needs serious readjustment or longer suspensions. Going after the Ref is in NO WAY acceptable and Downie, while young, has too long a resume to be allowed to play hockey until he make major changes. And that McAmmond hit was unbelievably bad.

Downie is just an idiot. Many of us have played sports, and I am willing to bet we have all had confrontations with officials, but there is never a reason to go after an official. Due to his previous issues, this suspension should have been for much longer, but since each league does not take into account each of the previous issues in other leagues, this would technically be his first AHL offense.

Video of the incident:

He's definately a bonehead, but this play looks somewhat innocent. I realize he shouldn't be taking a slapshot off the draw, but it just looks like he was trying to win the draw with a bit of force and hit the ref by accident...

He's definately a bonehead, but this play looks somewhat innocent. I realize he shouldn't be taking a slapshot off the draw, but it just looks like he was trying to win the draw with a bit of force and hit the ref by accident...

I don't know what quite to make of the video really, it looks like it could go either way, but that last swing with his stick was what got my attention. I was expecting it to happen during a play stoppage. Regardless of whether it was intentional or not, his reputation probably played a role in the length of his suspension.

It wasn't hard for me when I played to get caught up in the action, yet I couldn't imagine let alone justify taking a swing at an official or even giving some of the shots that have occurred to players in the past. The Jesse Boulerice/Andrew Long incident in 98 (or 99) was the first major incident that I had witnessed since the Dale Hunter hit on Pierre Turgeon in the 1993 playoffs. The Boulerice incident still makes me cringe to this day.

The video definitely made it look less blatant than I had imagined from reading the articles about the incident - however, the more I watched it the more I started to see that it does look bad. I've watched quite a bit of hockey in my life time, 14 years of college club hockey games involving players with far less skill than an AHL game and I've never seen anyone swing that hard and wildly on a face-off. At best, I think he was throwing a tantrum and the contact was incidental - at worst I think he knew exactly what he was doing. Considering the skill level and his history, I'm starting to lean towards the latter.

At best, I think he was throwing a tantrum and the contact was incidental - at worst I think he knew exactly what he was doing. Considering the skill level and his history, I'm starting to lean towards the latter.

Apparently he grew up and knew the ref and was jawing at him for a non-call earlier in the period. This leads me to this as you do on this one. Sad!

I don't know what quite to make of the video really, it looks like it could go either way, but that last swing with his stick was what got my attention. I was expecting it to happen during a play stoppage. Regardless of whether it was intentional or not, his reputation probably played a role in the length of his suspension.

It wasn't hard for me when I played to get caught up in the action, yet I couldn't imagine let alone justify taking a swing at an official or even giving some of the shots that have occurred to players in the past. The Jesse Boulerice/Andrew Long incident in 98 (or 99) was the first major incident that I had witnessed since the Dale Hunter hit on Pierre Turgeon in the 1993 playoffs. The Boulerice incident still makes me cringe to this day.

I hadn't seen the Boulerice/Long incident; definately cringe!!!

I hadn't seen the Boulerice/Long incident; definately cringe!!!

SI did an article about it in 1999 before the playoffs. Its been quite awhile since I've seen the video but I remember hearing about it. When McSorley swung his stick at Brashear, as bad as that was, it didn't make me cringe quite like the Boulerice incident. It pretty much ended Andrew Long's career, last I heard of him he was playing for the Miami Matadors in the ECHL earlier this decade.