Heatley requests trade

great1

Despite only being one year into his contract extension with the Ottawa Senators, Dany Heatley wants out.

TSN has confirmed that the 28-year old who signed a six-year, $45 million contract extension with the team in October of 2007 - that includes a no-movement clause - informed the team a week ago of his desire to play hockey elsewhere.

The veteran forward became unhappy with his role in Ottawa last season, especially after the Senators made a coaching change. Heatley discussed his concerns with head coach Cory Clouston in the Senators end of season meetings. However, both sides agreed some time away would help remedy the situation. So, the issues were left to settle while Heatley represented Canada at the IIHF World Hockey Championship.

Heatley returned and continued to consider his future before finally approaching Senators management with his trade request.

Senators general manager Bryan Murray has seen his club go downhill since they appeared in the Stanley Cup Final in 2007.

In the 2007-08 season, the Senators had a hot-start, but then had a brutal second-half of the season and held on to seventh place in the Eastern Conference, only to get swept by the Pittsburgh Penguins.

This past season, the Senators never really got it going, and missed the playoffs.

In order to deal Heatley, Murray would have to find a team with the room to take on the final five seasons of Heatley's contract that would count for $7.5 million per season against the salary cap. While he may have to be less selective to encourage a trade because of this, Heatley will have significant input into where he moves.

"We signed [Heatley] to a long-term deal and we expect him to honour it," Murray said on Tuesday. "At this point in time he's a Senator."

"We have been having discussions with Bryan Murray concerning Dany," Heatley's agent J.P. Barry told the Ottawa Sun. "I'd like to continue these discussions in private before determining what's best for Dany,"

Heatley notched 39 goals and 33 assists in 82 games last season. The 72 points were his lowest point totals in his four seasons with the Senators.

The veteran winger, who had back-to-back 50 goal seasons in 2005-06 and 2006-07, is believed to be interested in going to a Western Conference team.

- TSN

:(

I have a Heatley jersey for sale if anyone is interested...

haha seriously, i do

Let's touch on some of Heatley's moments in hockey:

1. Recklessly kills teammate Dan Snyder

2. After an outpouring of support from team, community, and family of victim, receives exceptionally lenient sentence. Is still a murderous felon.

3. Claiming he needs a fresh start, requests trade from Atlanta, and is moved to Ottawa before completing all of his mandated community service for his felony conviction.

4. Only one season into a new no-trade contract, demands a trade from Ottawa because he doesn't like the way the coach is playing him.

Does anyone else see a pattern with him? Does anyone want to defend him now? He should be thankful that he is allowed to play hockey and is not in a prison cell. Here's someone who has received more of a pass than anyone and more sympathy and has turned around and spit in everyone's faces.

Let's touch on some of Heatley's moments in hockey:

1. Recklessly kills teammate Dan Snyder

2. After an outpouring of support from team, community, and family of victim, receives exceptionally lenient sentence. Is still a murderous felon.

3. Claiming he needs a fresh start, requests trade from Atlanta, and is moved to Ottawa before completing all of his mandated community service for his felony conviction.

4. Only one season into a new no-trade contract, demands a trade from Ottawa because he doesn't like the way the coach is playing him.

Does anyone else see a pattern with him? Does anyone want to defend him now? He should be thankful that he is allowed to play hockey and is not in a prison cell. Here's someone who has received more of a pass than anyone and more sympathy and has turned around and spit in everyone's faces.

If you don't like him as a person because of the above-mentioned fact pattern, fine. Some of what you say is very on point. It still doesn't mean that he isn't one of the elite players in the game today and his wanting out makes Ottawa even MORE of a mess. I guess if anything, sports talent seems to trump other considerations. Just look at what goes on in football.

If you don't like him as a person because of the above-mentioned fact pattern, fine. Some of what you say is very on point. It still doesn't mean that he isn't one of the elite players in the game today and his wanting out makes Ottawa even MORE of a mess. I guess if anything, sports talent seems to trump other considerations. Just look at what goes on in football.

It could end up helping Ottawa as well. Half of their cap is taken up by three players on their first line. Alfredsson, Heatley and Spezza. Teams that load up their roster with one line dont tend to succeed in the long run but may expierence short term success. (Tampa Bay with Richards, Lecavalier, and St.Louis)

If the Senators can unload the salary of Heatley, they can make a bigger splash in the free agency pool and try to accelerate their rebuilding process. With Heatley leaving, they could afford several of the upper echelon of players like Boumeester, Gaborik, Tanguay, maybe Hossa or Havlat again,

Minnesota needs a player like Heatley so bad it isn't funny. Short of 7 first round picks, make that deal!

I guess if anything, sports talent seems to trump other considerations. Just look at what goes on in football.

I would disagree with that. If you ask me hockey players are generally held to a higher standard of personal conduct than most other sports. And if I am running a franchise I'm not going to be very enthusiastic about trading for a player who signs a six year deal then wants out after one year. It shows a lack of character and commitment, which raises warning flags especially combined with his previous horrible decision making.

I am almost positive that me buying Heatley jerseys is the kiss of death for him playing for that team. My first jersey I ever purchased was an Atlanta Thrashers alternate already personalized, a few weeks later he is traded to Ottawa. I think Heatley only wore that jersey a handful of times too. I just decided to get my Senators jersey personalized with his name and number then this story breaks although I am really considering changing my mind now, thankfully it's not too late.

This whole situation is going to have a huge impact on Ottawa for many years to come, whether it is good or bad.

To say he is still one of the elite players in the game is absurd and misses the whole point. Dumping on your team, twice, does NOT make a player elite. It makes him a cancer. And he puts Bryan Murray and the Sens in a terrible situation because his trade value is nill. Who's gonna give Ottawa any return for a disgruntled player with 4 years @ $7.5M left on his contract? And how long before he does this to his next team?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writ....html?eref=sihp

Good article by Jim Kelley that sums things up well.

I read that article this afternoon, it was quite interesting.

That's one thing that irritates me out to no end these days. Getting a no movement clause only to either ask to be dealt a year later or, in Dan Boyle's case, have management give you one and then come back and ask you to waive it or they will waive you.

I hope this helps kill the market for a Lecavalier trade. It is absolute BS that the Lightning are shopping him(although the Vinny for Jack Johnson, then Jack Johnson for Jordan Staal scenario would be acceptable)...I dunno how the Bolts would plan to increase fan interest and support by trading arguably their best and most popular player(along with Marty). Hopefully the Kings or Habs pick up Heatley and call it a day and abandon the Vinny sweepstakes

I hope this helps kill the market for a Lecavalier trade. It is absolute BS that the Lightning are shopping him(although the Vinny for Jack Johnson, then Jack Johnson for Jordan Staal scenario would be acceptable)...I dunno how the Bolts would plan to increase fan interest and support by trading arguably their best and most popular player(along with Marty). Hopefully the Kings or Habs pick up Heatley and call it a day and abandon the Vinny sweepstakes

Considering that they were "allegedly" selling some of their office furniture on Craigslist, they might simply not have enough money to pay Vinny despite what trading him would do to the fans' interest in the franchise.

It was only one case for $300. And if it is that bad they might as well just move the team. There's no way to be realistically competitive while spending only the cap minimum...and if they aren't competitive they will end up like the phoenix coyotes.

It was only one case for $300. And if it is that bad they might as well just move the team. There's no way to be realistically competitive while spending only the cap minimum...and if they aren't competitive they will end up like the phoenix coyotes.

From what I've read, their biggest problems are the owners bickering back and forth. Any truth to that? Personally, I heard it was Barrie that was behind the Boyle situation last year. What do you think of him or Oren?

Personally, I hope they keep Vinny. He's handled that situation a lot better than Heatley's handled his.

Brian Burke was asked about Heatley on the NHL Live radio show...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=282128

"When you have players come ask you for a trade, I tell the players 'don't finish that sentence,' because once you ask, I'm going to move you," Burke stated. "If a player wants out, you're darn right I'm going to move you. I'm not kissing anyone's Arse to play in my town, so to hell with you, don't finish the sentence. My second rule is if I hear about this, you're not going anywhere."

I have to say, I REALLY like Burke's statement regarding that matter.

From what I've read, their biggest problems are the owners bickering back and forth. Any truth to that? Personally, I heard it was Barrie that was behind the Boyle situation last year. What do you think of him or Oren?

I was at a thing yesterday that the Bolts had to try and sell season tickets, and the guy that was giving me a tour around the forum said that Oren is pretty involved, he gives the staff regular updates. I didn't ask him that directly(of course he's not going to say something like he's a real a******), it came out during a conversation about his movies. I don't know much about Barrie really. But Oren is pretty laid back and relaxed according to most reports. I really think Vinny is staying, because they know how the fans will react to such a move. That's one thing I have to give to the Bolts, their team may suck but they are very good at fan appreciation. I got to meet Malone, Mike Smith, and Tocchet as well. Tocchet is a really cool guy, I think he is going to have the Bolts in much better shape this year.

I was at a thing yesterday that the Bolts had to try and sell season tickets, and the guy that was giving me a tour around the forum said that Oren is pretty involved, he gives the staff regular updates. I didn't ask him that directly(of course he's not going to say something like he's a real a******), it came out during a conversation about his movies. I don't know much about Barrie really. But Oren is pretty laid back and relaxed according to most reports. I really think Vinny is staying, because they know how the fans will react to such a move. That's one thing I have to give to the Bolts, their team may suck but they are very good at fan appreciation. I got to meet Malone, Mike Smith, and Tocchet as well. Tocchet is a really cool guy, I think he is going to have the Bolts in much better shape this year.

Hopefully they hang onto Vinny, I couldn't see him pulling a Heatley. I got the feeling that Barrie is the bigger a-hole of the duo. Buccigross spoke very highly of Oren in one of his columns on ESPN.com back during the season.

According to truth and rumors on cnnsi.com, Heatley wouldn't nix a trade to the Rangers if it came down to it. I've seen San Jose and St. Louis named in possible destinations.

• 1 month later...

So with all the stuff with Heatley declining a trade to the Oilers, should No Trade Clauses be allowed in NHL contracts? I personally think they should allow them but in a limited fashion. I know other sports have them too, but my favorite part is the one that baseball has. The 10-5 rule. 10 years in the league and 5 consecutive years with the same team gives you the right to decline trades. It would give teams more flexibility in the event a player doesn't want to be there and it gives the power back to the teams as opposed to the player. Heatley may be a great player, but the Senators are the ones invested in him, shouldn't they have more power than the player in saying where he can and can't go?

So with all the stuff with Heatley declining a trade to the Oilers, should No Trade Clauses be allowed in NHL contracts? I personally think they should allow them but in a limited fashion. I know other sports have them too, but my favorite part is the one that baseball has. The 10-5 rule. 10 years in the league and 5 consecutive years with the same team gives you the right to decline trades. It would give teams more flexibility in the event a player doesn't want to be there and it gives the power back to the teams as opposed to the player. Heatley may be a great player, but the Senators are the ones invested in him, shouldn't they have more power than the player in saying where he can and can't go?

That's a good point. From what you're saying, the baseball thing is a good rule. The no trade/no movement clauses seem like a waste of time these days.

I think once a player has asked for a trade then the no trade clause should be voided but I also like the sounds of that 10-5 rule you mentioned as well.

• 1 month later...

Looks like we got a deal.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=4463628

Sharks get Heatley

Kings get Marleau

Senators get Frolov and Jarrett Stoll

Though the GM's of both the Sharks and the Senators are denying the trade has happened.

Edit:

TSN saying the deal doesn't exist.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=290650

Heatley has been traded,

San Jose gets,

Dany Heatley

5th round draft pick

Ottawa gets,

Milan Michalek

Jonathan Cheechoo

2nd round draft pick

I have no idea what happened to Cheechoo over the last few season but I really like Michalek. Considering how up against Ottawa's GM was, I think this is the best trade they could pull off. There has always been a real downturn in SJ's play in the playoffs, maybe Heatley gets them over the hump?