How did you become a fan of the team you cheer for?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was born and raised in Wisconsin but was always raised a Blues fan because my Dad was born and grew up in St. Louis before moving to WI. And now that I've move to the STL area, it's sweet to be able to root for my home team from home! They will always be my first love in the NHL, but I've kind of adopted the Wild as my second favorite team because I've always had a friendly reception to that state. Except for the stupid Vikings, but this is not the place for that.

And oddly enough, I'm a big AHL Milwaukee fan, but never really could support the Peoria team despite their affiliation with St. Louis.

My pride and joy is the North Dakota Fighting Sioux (NCAA). Went to school there, fell in love of course.

My NHL team is the Chicago Blackhawks. They are the closest proximity to my hometown in Wisconsin, and their captain, who I went to school with and had the pleasure of golfing with here and there, is their captain.

Anyway, I was thrilled again in 2007 when Anaheim won the Cup and beat Ottawa, who I also don't like AT ALL...not even any of their players. Blah. Plus Chris Kunitz came from there and the Pens' head coach, Dan Bylsma, also played there...so it has some very solid, nothing to complain about Penguin connections. And that is how and why I like the Anaheim Ducks...and may be one of the few people in PA that does; let alone ever heard of that team.

Add me to that list.

Funny though, I wear my Anaheim Ducks shirts now and then, and the self proclaimed Flyers fans (who can't name five players on their team) ask something like "Hey, are they like the Mighty Ducks?" in which I then go into a respectful schpiel about how they switched and were champs a few years back.

My reason for liking them, my favorite movie as a kid...

51G1EW0EBNL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The NHL team just stuck, got their merchandise, jerseys, and played as them on video games from Sega on.

Add me to that list.

Funny though, I wear my Anaheim Ducks shirts now and then, and the self proclaimed Flyers fans (who can't name five players on their team) ask something like "Hey, are they like the Mighty Ducks?" in which I then go into a respectful schpiel about how they switched and were champs a few years back.

My reason for liking them, my favorite movie as a kid...

51G1EW0EBNL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The NHL team just stuck, got their merchandise, jerseys, and played as them on video games from Sega on.

So my question is....Where are you meeting the "self proclaimed Flyer's fans?" In Anaheim? There may be a few "so called" fans here in Philly but I will say there are a heck of a lot more educated and dedicated HOCKEY fans here than in Cali...You should know this as you list the Flyers as your #2 team... Also, Blame the NHL for Eastern Conference ignorance regarding the "Mighty" being dropped. For a while there the two conferences never met till the Finals. Now we are lucky to see the ducks once every couple years...if that.

My father was born and raised in Boston, met my mother and moved to Philly. I was 6 or 7 when the Flyers beat the Bruins in the Stanley Cup Finals and I have been a Hockey Fan ever since...My first jersey my father bought me was a Bruins one (yes they were available at retail in the mid 70's) but my first love was the FLYERS! I swear I had the old "Hockey Encyclopedia" memorized by the time I was 10 :thumbsup:

Born and raised in Chicago. The guys in my neighborhood had a team, and they all had Blackhawks jerseys. When I started playing, I got one, too, and followed the team. It wasn't too long after that I learned to curse Wirtz, the cheapskate.

So my question is....Where are you meeting the "self proclaimed Flyer's fans?" In Anaheim? There may be a few "so called" fans here in Philly but I will say there are a heck of a lot more educated and dedicated HOCKEY fans here than in Cali...You should know this as you list the Flyers as your #2 team... Also, Blame the NHL for Eastern Conference ignorance regarding the "Mighty" being dropped. For a while there the two conferences never met till the Finals. Now we are lucky to see the ducks once every couple years...if that.

As far as I know, interconference play has always existed in the NHL. The exception being the strike-shortened 1994-1995 season. But yes, even way back in the 1967 Expansion the Original Six teams played the Expansion Six teams 4 times per year. And this hold true today with the newer schedule by the NHL where every team from the East plays every team from the West, where 3 teams are played 2 times (a home and home).

Born and raised in the Hockey hotbed of Utah. Growing up my Dad got us hooked on the old IHL Salt Lake Golden Eagles. They ended up affiliated with the Calgary Flames for a period of time. Yes, I got to see Fleury play in Utah prior to the olympics, as well as watch Stu Grimson play and then met him at a PR event at our church for a Boy Scout program. He dressed up a kid in his gear and when he pulled out his garter belt he told us to ask our Mom's what it was for!!!!! Pretty funny for a church sponsered event. He was really cool and treated everyone great. I've loved him ever since.

Secondly when cable tv became available my Dad wasn't too keen on paying for TV. But when he learned that the NHL was on contract with ESPN, and we could watch numerous games, he broke down and payed for it. One of the first teams I saw was the penguins and being a impressionable pre-teen, I LOVED the skating penguin jersey. They were my team from then on. My older and wiser brother told me how bad my team was but I didn't care. A couple of years later my Dad went to one of the only Hockey shops in Utah and ordered me a White and yellow home jersey. Great memories.

As far as I know, interconference play has always existed in the NHL. The exception being the strike-shortened 1994-1995 season. But yes, even way back in the 1967 Expansion the Original Six teams played the Expansion Six teams 4 times per year. And this hold true today with the newer schedule by the NHL where every team from the East plays every team from the West, where 3 teams are played 2 times (a home and home).

I thought they stopped the interconference play for a few seasons, Maybe it just seemed that way... My Bad. As I am no longer a season ticket holder, I will say I was getting very tired seeing the Devils, Rangers, and the rest of the teams from the division every other night because the league wanted to promote "Rivalry." I was the guy trying to unload all of those games as I wanted to see the Western conference teams. Needless to say, Detroit, Chicago, and Colorado never came to town enough for me...

At the start of my post, I obviously implied that I was one of the few people in PA who knows about the Ducks. The "Flyers fans" are here in PA.... I'm relativley close to Philly (Flyers are my local team, that's why they're 2).

These "Flyers fans" that I'm familiar with are the extremley casual "HOCKEY" fans who pledge alliegence to the team ONLY because they're local. And most of them became fans after they went to the finals last year.

That being said, it's fun educating people that there is a Western Conference.

• 2 weeks later...

I couldn't sleep one night back in 01, stuck my TV on which had Ch5 on (UK based members will know about that) just as game 7 of the Cup Final faced off.

Ended up watching the whole thing and loving the Avalanche, the whole Bourque story, Sakic being awesome etc was just so awesome to watch and I was hooked on hockey since then.

Suppose I may have been a Devils fan if it turned out that way lol

• 1 month later...

Growing up outside of Philly, I was a casual Flyers fan growing up. My family moved to southern Indiana in '95 and I became a Predators fan when they started playing in '98.

Being only a casual Flyers fan it was a lot easier for me to make the jump compared to ditching the Eagles or Phillies. Plus, with Nashville only be 2 hrs. or so from home it's nice to be a fan of at least one "local" team.

Since then, I've become a more dedicated and die hard fan that I was before. It must have something to do with them being the closest, location wise, of my favorite teams.

• 1 month later...

I grew up in a time before 100 cable channels when the only TV we could get included local stations, TBS & WGN who used to carry the BlackHawks. So I initially was a BlackHawk fan. When I came back to NW Ohio from the military, we then had cable TV galore. I was training for a spring marathon, and running alot on a treadmill at a gym over the winter. There was a Canadian guy who lived in the area also in training and he would change the channels to watch the Red Wings & Blue Jackets on 2 of the 4 TV's in front of the treadmills. That is how I initially got hooked into the Blue Jackets.

• 3 months later...

The Ducks for me. I used to be a BIG Kariya fan back in the day, Plus my daughter really liked the logo...especially when I wore the jersey around her.

I also used to live in London, Ontario...While a certain Ducks player played there for the Knights.

Selanne was and is my favorite player of all time. I have had a soft spot for wherever he played over the years, but if there is a Ducks game on Centre Ice, thats what I am watching!

It was easy following the Ducks while I lived in Edmonton, but I might have a harder time now that I moved back to Ontario.

At about age 6 I was living in upstate NY and we took a trip to Montreal to see a game at the Forum. I don't remember a whole lot of it but according to my Dad I thought the goalie for the home team was really cool and asked my Dad who he was and decided then that he'd be my favorite hockey player (Roy). So I was a Habs fan till he was traded and an Avs fan until he retired. Having spent most of my childhood in the MD/DC area (and the fact that the Avs haven't really been worth watching post-Roy) I just settled on the Caps after that.

I now cheer for my home team, but when I was very, very little, I was a Habs fan. Boo, hiss, shame. :mellow: The reasons were pretty much the same reasons most Habs fans who don't live in Quebec would give if they were being truthful, because they'd won the most Cups, because so many of the greatest players of all time have played for them, because they have such an incredible amount of history and mystique associated with them. Then I realized that liking a team just because they're successful was lame, and shortly after, my two aunts who were obsessed with hockey during the eighties pretty much indoctrinated me and turned me into an Oilers fan by showing me a documentary called The Boys On the Bus about their team in the eighties. I still like Edmonton, but finally by the time I was about 9 years old I saw the light and started supporting the Leafs, and have been absolutely bleeding miserable ever since. :lol:

I was born in Pensacola FL and my dad was Navy so we moved around a bit. My first love was the Maine Mariners because he took me to a few games when we lived in Brunswick.

I am not sure why I became a NYR fan, probably they were beating Boston one night and both of my parents are from there so any team that beats them becomes a natural favorite. The funny thing is I remember wearing Rangers stuff to school in FL and I graduated in 94 so I must have jumped on in 1993...pretty good timing eh?

When the Ice Pilots came to P'cola of course we were fans of them but for some reason I was a big dummy and did not go to games while I was in the Navy...so many opportunities too.

Orlando- Solar Bears

Charleston- SC Stingrays

Norfolk- Admirals

Ballston Spa NY- River Rats

We moved to Atlanta in 2005 and again we did not go to a game until my dad took me to an Ice Pilots vs. Gladiators game here in Gwinnett in 06. The fire returned and I brought my wife and daughter the next time. We have been weekend season ticket holders since 07.

We went to some Thrashers games here and there, mostly to see other teams we liked but in 09-10 and 10-11 the bug really bit me...enough that it hurt pretty bad to lose them.

Now we will go see some Preds games and boo the Jets whenever they are in town.

Christy is a PHX fan...I assume at first due to their emblem but now they are her team and coincidentally our team is affiliated with them this year.

My dad is a Pittsburgh native so I was raised a Penguins fan. Having Lemieux definitely didn't hurt things either. I started watching when I was 3 (1989) and have been hooked ever since. Couldn't see myself wearing any other colors other than USA or a Pens affiliate of any era.

Lived in Totowa, NJ most of my life (born in '74). Back in the early 80's , the Devils were the new kids on the block. I was 10 years old in '84 and just starting to become a bit of a hockey fan, made all the easier by now having a New Jersey team that practiced 5 minutes away from where I lived (Ice World) no less. I remember bicycling over to Ice World every chance I got to watch the Devils practice.

One day I managed to bump into Chico Resch near the lobby and asked him if I could have his autograph. His response was, "Sorry kid, can't do it.". From what I gathered this was quite uncharacteristic for Resch as he had a reputation as one of the nicest guys in hockey. Unfortunately, for a 10 year old kid who doesn't understand that maybe he had some pressing business or a legitimate reason, this event was earth shattering.

Needless to say, I became a Rangers fan overnight. Followed them through the mediocre 80's, became a big fan of Tomas Sandstrom, and it all culminated in the '94 cup which was one of the greatest fan experiences I've ever had. From Messier guaranteeing a Game 6 victory and delivering a hat trick against the Devils to Richter's save on Bure. Was a rough few years in the late 90's and then the habit of signing aged stars who failed to deliver but I have hope for this new crop of young guys. With the addition of Richards, as long as the team stays healthy, I think we'll finish in the top 3 Eastern Conference. Just need a big bruiser...

• 1 month later...

Born and raised in Anaheim. I have to stick to the home team!

• 4 weeks later...

Being that I am born and raised in Montreal, Quebec, I grew up around the fact that the Montreal Canadiens were not a religion - they were more than that. Myself, I was more into playing hockey, than watching it. So, while most kids were at home watching the game, I was on the pond, playing it. I was a hockey fan, first and foremost - period. Still am.

But, when I would watch hockey, I found myself attracted to teams who played a different style of hockey than the Habs, and most teams in their Conference; I loved watching the West. Teams like, San Jose, Detroit and Vancouver. The only Eastern team I'd watch, were the Pens, but that's because I idolized Mario Lemieux, from the get-go.

So, being a big Western Conference follower, and HUGE The Mighty Ducks franchise lover, it's not hard to see how I immediately felt a connection with that team, when they made their way into the NHL. I mean, owned by Disney, the same name and jerseys as in the movies, playing at Arrowhead "Pond" and taking in the cartoon Wild Wing as their mascot - too perfect! Not to mention, I loved watching Paul Kariya play and when Teemu Selanne was signed, and they became one of the best duos in the NHL, at the time, it was like magic to me.

And even so, I refused to become a "fan" of the team. I wanted to remain an unbiased hockey fan, who watched a few games, here and there, and didn't let the fact that they lived in this city, dictate who they were going to root for, for the rest of their life; a rarity, in Montreal. In-fact, I only decided to finally pledge my devout allegiance to the Ducks, at the beginning of this season. Way after they won the cup and were sold by Disney. Way after Kariya was gone and so were the old logos/uniforms. Basically, way after I had grown up, and wanted to love a team, without any outside factors influencing the decision.

Until this season, I had always had a special place in my heart for the Ducks. I even rooted for them, throughout the playoffs, that year when they hoisted up Lord Stanley, for the first time. Now, I'm proud to call myself a fan; regardless of their place in the standings. And I'm happy I waited so long, before doing so. The fact that I decided to finally be a Ducks fan, this year, is why I'm on these boards, today. I wanted my first Ducks jersey and didn't want to get duped, so I found you guys. :D

I apologize for the lengthy post; it's just that I felt the thread title and my story, went well together, and it feels good to finally tell it to people (aside from those closest to me) who might just be able to relate.

Edited by AdamBanks

Although, i do cheer for my home team, the capitals, many people call us bandwagon fans because of recent success (well not so recent success :( ) but i as born in 92, and my uncle got me into them. I've always lived in maryland. my uncle was the equipment manager, or something with the equipment. he is good friends with Rod Langway (a good friend of mine is actually dating his niece) and Olaf Kolzig. he was almost suited to play a game as goalie once. he was the second backup they were gonna ask. but thats who got me into hockey and then of course the caps. so please believe me! I AM NOT A BANDWAGONER! :noway:

• 4 weeks later...

Early 90's (before the cup) as a kid I was a Rangers fan and a good friend was a Jets fan. I don't really know what drew me to the Rangers but being from the east coast of Canada with no team close I just "picked" a team, that was until the Mighty Ducks came along. Watched the movies of course as a kid and fell in love with the team. When I first started watching hockey I never knew till after we lost the AHL team we had that they were the affiliate team for the Jets, so learning of that connection as I got older plus my friends love for the Jets/Selanne drew me to them as well. Late 90's/early mellenium I got out of following hockey for a few years as I lost touch with most friends that followed hockey. Got back into pretty heavy when I learned about the center ice tv package and started watching it more religously (of course at this time mostly the Mighty Ducks). This year with the Jets making their return and the Winter Classic I found my renewed love of these two teams as well, the HBO countdown and alumni game really brought back some good Rangers memories (I used to have their logo hand painted on my wall about 3' tall). A weird mix of 3 teams to be into but between the 3 it's always exciting hockey to watch!