You Know You're Addicted to Hockey Jerseys When...

Curry1fan

Since we are all very open about our jersey problem, why don't we amuse ourselves and find out what are some signs that one has the hockey jersey collecting problem?

You Know You're Addicted to Hockey Jersey Collecting When...

-Ever since Ebay expanded the watch list to 200 items, you are stacking your watch section and checking auction pages religiously

-You bookmark the Ice Jerseys forum and come here more than three times a day

-You check the trading post multiple times a day praying that someone will have your dream jersey for sale

-You check a site daily to make sure they still have a jersey you want in stock...and repeat this practice until you can afford the jersey

-You walk around at hockey games mentally playing "I Spy a Fake Hockey Jersey" AND counting how many you find

-As soon as you open a package with a jersey, you photograph it and upload it so you can brag about it in "It Arrived Today"

-Your friends and family just do not get you and always ask how many jerseys you have everytime you talk about another great find

OK I know a listed a lot, so who's next? This is just for fun but hopefully we can all find something to relate to.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-When you buy jerseys you already have for the sole purpose of trade bait.

- When you continue to purchase more uncrested jerseys while you still have others in a cue line to be customized, not accounting for the fact you could have elminated that cue of customizations while you are just purchasing more blank ones.

- Purchase jerseys well knowing it will never be worn, but it fits into the criteria for your collection....For example Calgary Flames Todd Simpson Jersey

- Sell jerseys to buy more jerseys

-You store your jerseys in a closet or other special room, but then organize them in some methodical way that is only known and understood by you.

(My collection is color coded from left to right: whites, blacks, blues, and reds. This could change depending on what colors I add in the future)

-Even though you are jobless and/or strapped for cash, you are still thinking of ways you can afford jerseys.

-When you have to part with your jerseys, you feel like you are at a funeral for a dear friend.

-You consider Third String Goalie, the IJ forums, Icethetics, and/or Puck Drawn the Holy Bible.

When you no longer have room to store all your jerseys and are forced to pack some away.

At my highest i had more then 175 jerseys between Hockey, Basketball and Football. I have since then started to sell my Football and Basketball so i can continue my collection of hockey. When i had 175, i had many of them in boxes or drawers. Now i can fit all my hockey ones with a select few other sports ones on two 5 foot racks.

-You have a Word or Excel document detailing your wish list, and it is much longer than your IJ signature.

-You look at your separate wish list and think of what you could put in your IJ signature.

-You have opened a package and put a jersey on almost instantly after it is out of the packaging

-When you buy a jersey on Ebay for a low, low price or win a bidding war, you convince yourself and your few understanding loved ones that the jersey was meant for you to have.

When you start writing beer prices on point of sale in the same shape of NHL fonts. I caught myself doing that the other day.

LOL, what do you do for a living? Or was this a non-work pursuit?

-You are the first one at the team store as soon as a new batch of jerseys is put on the shelves

-Someone in your family has told you that your closet resembles a team locker room, particularly if you collect a lot of jerseys of one team

-You spend time persuading others to buy jerseys in hopes you can hook them on the habit...and then feel a small disappointment if they do not buy one.

-Your collection photo album is on proud display on your Facebook or Myspace, in addition to its home on Webshots or Photobucket

-One of your biggest life goals is to have as many jerseys as JeffB or Brilliant

- When you're really hoping Brilliant's mail gets delivered today.

- When you create rules to keep your collection in check, then find the most tenuous links to players to circumvent your own rules.

You chose a lifetime to be yourself, keeping all your jerseys, and got rid of your fiance.

:lol: Did you really do that TBG?

- When you're really hoping Brilliant's mail gets delivered today.

- When you create rules to keep your collection in check, then find the most tenuous links to players to circumvent your own rules.

:lol: Did you really do that TBG?

That's pretty much what happened. I got my full price back for the ring, and added the WBS Fleury, and HWP Callahan jerseys to my collection. I was also able to order new custom Vaughn pads, glove, and blocker.

She never understood why I liked them, but the last Christmas we were together, I bought and resold enough jerseys to pay for a $500 laptop computer for her. It's also the way I saved up enough for an honest engagement ring. She still didn't understand why I was so into buying, and occasionally reselling "dirty shirts".

I may be addicted to collecting jerseys, but being with her is what really sucked my bank account dry. Now I have, money, my jerseys, new goalie equipment, a custom painted mask on the way, an apartment, and I finished school. Her loss...My gain. Oh, and by the way, I no longer answer to anyone.

That's pretty much what happened. I got my full price back for the ring, and added the WBS Fleury, and HWP Callahan jerseys to my collection.

Good choice on both of those. Did you buy the Callahan already customized or have it done? I've got 3 Wolf Pack jerseys from that era I need done (Dubinsky, Callahan, and Girardi) but that font they used has been troublesome as not every place can do it (haven't tried EPS yet).

Also is the Callahan you have kiss-cut? I've got an auto'd Dawes that was originally purchased from the Wolf Pack team store that I was pleasantly surprised to find out was kiss-cut.

For me it was starting to buy jerseys for teams other than the Capitals. I first got back into collecting just to get every style the Capitals wore as authentics. Now I'm buying jerseys that I like how they looked when they first came out and of my favorite players. Now I'm trying to find Russian and Junior jerseys of the current Caps players and I have way too many authentics that are not customized yet. Recently, I went on a badge/patch buying spree so I can finally have all the components to customize my jerseys.

So I guess then a good sign would be:

You know you are addicted to hockey jerseys when your collection has more than one focus.

Mad, I feel like I am headed in the direction you are. Once I either finish collecting Penguins jerseys or those of Penguins players on other teams, I'm going to move into franchise players on other teams. At least I'll already have Crosby, Malkin, and Lemieux from the Pens. LOL.

Good choice on both of those. Did you buy the Callahan already customized or have it done? I've got 3 Wolf Pack jerseys from that era I need done (Dubinsky, Callahan, and Girardi) but that font they used has been troublesome as not every place can do it (haven't tried EPS yet).

Also is the Callahan you have kiss-cut? I've got an auto'd Dawes that was originally purchased from the Wolf Pack team store that I was pleasantly surprised to find out was kiss-cut.

The Callahan jersey was sent to Coolhockey.com for customization. It IS NOT kiss-cut. However, I recently purchased a Hershey Bears jersey to replace one I sold a while back, and regretted. The first one I owned WAS Kiss-Cut. The new one IS NOT. Maybe AHL teams did this together in the same season, so maybe your Dawes jersey was supposed to be if it was from a certain year. I would request it NOT be Kiss-cut. Nobody can really tell, and i feel like the kiss-cut can unthread a little easier and start to fray.

The Callahan jersey was sent to Coolhockey.com for customization. It IS NOT kiss-cut. However, I recently purchased a Hershey Bears jersey to replace one I sold a while back, and regretted. The first one I owned WAS Kiss-Cut. The new one IS NOT. Maybe AHL teams did this together in the same season, so maybe your Dawes jersey was supposed to be if it was from a certain year. I would request it NOT be Kiss-cut. Nobody can really tell, and i feel like the kiss-cut can unthread a little easier and start to fray.

Good to know that CoolHockey can do that style - I know since the Wolf Pack changed fonts for 2008-09 some places don't know if they can get that font anymore.

As for kiss-cut vs traditional, I prefer the kiss-cut if that's what the team wore. I definitely makes the numbers less rigid by not having 3 huge layers of twill throughout. There are a couple of people who've asked what exactly kiss-cut means, so here's an image I whipped up to show the comparison of the separate layers:

kiss-cut.png

To bring things back to the topic of the thread, I guess you know you're addicted if you care about the little details to make an authentic be as much like a gamer as possible (like worrying about kiss-cut lettering).