'New' Flames 3rd jersey:

Darth Xed

Nice jerseys, but in my opinion (and don't 'flame' me, pun intended) the retro jersey craze is starting to run its course.

Point taken and understood BUT when they're killer styles like these that never should have changed in the first place, it's excellent.

Nice jerseys, but in my opinion (and don't 'flame' me, pun intended) the retro jersey craze is starting to run its course.

Point taken and understood BUT when they're killer styles like these that never should have changed in the first place, it's excellent.

Exactly my thoughts. Nothing wrong with a great looking retro jersey when it's done right like the Flames have done.

vintage205.jpg

Looks like it's a 6100 cut, which looks great except for the NHL shield which looks a bit out of place in this style.

Yeah kinda like the Habs barber pole jerseys. 6100 cut with the shield on the neck and not made of x-trafil. They'll do good by making this a straight air-knit jersey like the Flames wore almost their entire history. I really dig it. The patch is pretty cool looking too.

Not really knowing much if anything about late 80s/early 90s hockey jersey history, I guess I can't fully appreciate some of these jerseys. To me, there's a reason why some jerseys were in the 80s/90s and should STAY there. I don't mean to upset any traditionalists but I guess the lack of appreciation and disgust at a lot of this retro craze is my own fault. At the same time, I can't help it that I wasn't born till 1985 and don't remember the "glory days" of teams I don't follow to begin with.

I remember reading that the Flames new 3rd jersey would have a new logo which is not the flaming C or the horse although I also remember reading each team can have a 3rd and a retro jersey, perhaps they will have both this year.

I remember reading that the Flames new 3rd jersey would have a new logo which is not the flaming C or the horse although I also remember reading each team can have a 3rd and a retro jersey, perhaps they will have both this year.

Heard that as well.

Oh and All in favor of Ottawa changing their 3rd to an homage to the Silver Seven days, raise your hand!

(sorry for the thread jack but your avatar inspired me)

The jersey looks great, and I think it's awesome that it doesn't have a stupid flap at the bottom.

I don't like the patch very much though, it looks particularly out of place on this vintage jersey.

205s8rd.png

There's too much black in the patch for it to match this jersey, there's no black what so ever on the vintage uniform.

Black should look ok on the regular uniform, but I think that font for the 30 doesn't fit very well either.

Hmmm...

wb4391.jpg

The jersey looks great, and I think it's awesome that it doesn't have a stupid flap at the bottom.

I don't like the patch very much though, it looks particularly out of place on this vintage jersey.

205s8rd.png

There's too much black in the patch for it to match this jersey, there's no black what so ever on the vintage uniform.

Black should look ok on the regular uniform, but I think that font for the 30 doesn't fit very well either.

Hmmm...

wb4391.jpg

I found the black unnoticeable, i guess i am still focused on the ridiculous Blue Alberta flag on the shoulders

Not really knowing much if anything about late 80s/early 90s hockey jersey history, I guess I can't fully appreciate some of these jerseys. To me, there's a reason why some jerseys were in the 80s/90s and should STAY there. I don't mean to upset any traditionalists but I guess the lack of appreciation and disgust at a lot of this retro craze is my own fault. At the same time, I can't help it that I wasn't born till 1985 and don't remember the "glory days" of teams I don't follow to begin with.

No hurt here (not sure I'm even a "traditionalist"), but I think there's a lot to be said for simple designs. Don't worry so much about the retro "craze" and remember that there are a lot of fans out there, and most aren't 24. Nostalgia's a hell of a drug.

Let's stay with the Flames - I think the jerseys they've been wearing the past few years are awesome. The red jersey with the black "C" looks bitchin, especially when everyone in the arena is wearing one. But I do have a soft spot for their old style, and I'm not much older than you ('77).

I remember watching Fleury and company race around in the old style unis, which I recreated (to statistical excess) on NHL '93 and '94. At the same time, my local hockey shop had the replicas on the floor racks, but kept authentics out of reach by hanging them from the ceiling. Basically, anything from that era gets a total Pavlovian response from me.

P.S. I would have preferred the white version for this throwback, though. Better color balance, with the red shoulders and all...

fd

I know a lot of fans are older than me, but since I only saw pics of that jersey (very few I might add) and I didn't watch the Flames physically play in them, it can't bring back any memories for me. I don't think of nostalgia. I think of "1989 called and wants its jersey back." But I'm not knocking what it means to certain fans of certain teams. I just don't see how I'm supposed to like the retro jerseys of the Flames, Oilers, Flyers, and Islanders when I didn't see them play in those jerseys.

Even with Pittsburgh, when fans say they want our Cup jerseys from the early 90s brought back....I can only think "God what an ugly jersey" instead of "Ah yeah the good old days!" (Of course this mostly applies to the mainly black version of that jersey; that's the one everyone wants the current day Pens to wear. I like the white version of it fine. Hopefully someday I can find one.)

Perhaps it's my own fault for not being appreciative more...but most of the jerseys I like come from the late 90s/early 2000s when I was introduced to hockey.

I was just thinking, This may have to do with the Flames counting their chickens before they hatched...

If they were fairly confident they were going to get an winter classic game this year, they may have already put their money towards the design and prototypes of a jersey, and after they whole idea got canned, perhaps they just decided to stick with the vintage style

i love these jerseys, they were the best the flames ever wore. Not like their was much competition though, between the ones with the random diagonal line and the goofy horsehead. they make me think of playing NHL 94. The edge uniforms are decent except for those stupid socks. At least they didn't go with something black. black is whack.

I agree with the guy who said the teams going back to their old jerseys never should have changed them in the first place. The Sabres, Kings, Oilers, Isles, Flames, Canucks, and others had some great, yet simple jerseys back in the 80's and early 90's. But the faux-retro by other teams(Avalance, Wild, soon the Predators) is very annoying...

• 2 weeks later...
I agree with the guy who said the teams going back to their old jerseys never should have changed them in the first place. The Sabres, Kings, Oilers, Isles, Flames, Canucks, and others had some great, yet simple jerseys back in the 80's and early 90's.

I agree 110%. Its great seeing some of these designs coming back into play and I'm glad to see this one back with the Flames. I've never been the biggest Flames fan, but I have liked how this particular style looked, especially when I get out my old box of hockey cards from the early 90s. It reminds me when I was a kid and getting into hockey for the first time.