The Last of the 'Diques

Crimson

With Sundin's official retirement, who's left of the Nordiques still in the League? With Chris Simon in Russia, is it just Adam Foote and Owen Nolan?

I believe so. I went back to 1992-93 on hockeydb.com and the only names that I noticed other than the ones you mentioned are Jocelyn Thibault and Martin Rucinsky, but I don't believe they're playing anywhere these days and may very well be in Europe. Then there's also the possibility that Peter Forsberg may be making a comeback to the NHL.

They are becoming fewer and fewer, the only other thing we have left of the Nordiques name other than the handful of players is players who were drafted by them but never actually played for the Nords.

Yeah that's true. I know Drury was drafted by the Nords but never played; so was Hejduk. This all makes me feel old. :(

That's hitting me too. Watching Sakic's number get lifted to the rafters tonight and then hearing about Shanny not playing the season for the Devils, these are the last of the hockey icons of my childhood. :(

It's true. Once Nicky Lidstrom eventually hangs them up, it really will be the end of an era. A great era too that saw some really phenomenal players.

It's true. Once Nicky Lidstrom eventually hangs them up, it really will be the end of an era. A great era too that saw some really phenomenal players.

Don't forget Mike Modano, I have a feeling this could be his last season. I'm not sure if Recchi is hanging around with the B's or not for this season. My stomach was in knots watching them raise Sakic's number last night. I have a lot of good memories from the Sakic years... :( Last year NOT being one of them. :D

Crap, you're absolutely right about Modano. How did I forget about him? And yes, Recchi is still playing in Boston but I wouldn't put him in that category. I was really referring to those guys who have stayed with the same franchise for their whole career. It's probably something that is just about defunct nowadays with all the money being thrown around to these guys. I really doubt we'll see anyone sticking with the same team for 15+ years anymore.

Crap, you're absolutely right about Modano. How did I forget about him? And yes, Recchi is still playing in Boston but I wouldn't put him in that category. I was really referring to those guys who have stayed with the same franchise for their whole career. It's probably something that is just about defunct nowadays with all the money being thrown around to these guys. I really doubt we'll see anyone sticking with the same team for 15+ years anymore.

Oh okay, yeah the guys staying with the same team for so long. I'm not convinced that some of these long-term deals that have become quite popular will prove to enable that. I think the only ones that you could say could maybe pull it off will be Ovechkin, Richards, or Zetterberg. But with that being said, what's to say that one of those guys may decide later that they want to move onto another team if their teams suddenly become uncompetitive. Those no-trade/no-movement clauses are almost pointless anymore. I'd imagine the Heatley saga will keep a lot of GMs not wanting to deal with those anymore. Interesting days in the hockey world.

Oh okay, yeah the guys staying with the same team for so long. I'm not convinced that some of these long-term deals that have become quite popular will prove to enable that. I think the only ones that you could say could maybe pull it off will be Ovechkin, Richards, or Zetterberg. But with that being said, what's to say that one of those guys may decide later that they want to move onto another team if their teams suddenly become uncompetitive. Those no-trade/no-movement clauses are almost pointless anymore. I'd imagine the Heatley saga will keep a lot of GMs not wanting to deal with those anymore. Interesting days in the hockey world.

Even with a No Trade Clause, it may not mean anything except for the player deciding where he wants to go. Also another thing to think of in relation to all these 8 year and more contracts is that many of them are extensions. Look at the Lecavalier situation last year, how many trade rumors were there revolving around him due to the fact that his NTC did not kick in until this year. I agree with Zoom though, that only the "Special" players will get the 10-12 year contracts, but there is no guarantee that the player will play out his whole time of that contract on the one team. If there is not a ntc, then if the player starts to struggle, the team will look to offload him quite quickly.

I'm curious to see what the NHL is going to do regarding those in the future. Especially during the next CBA negotiations. The DiPietro extension was insane. I think only AO, Sidney, Malkin, and Zetterberg are really the only players that I can think of offhand that I would give that kind of contract to.

• 5 months later...

Don't forget that Iginla has already played for the Flames since 1996 and still has like 3-4 years left on his deal. What happens after that is anyones guess, yet it is possible that he may stay for the duration of his career. Same with Regehr, he's also got at least 10 years under his belt and 3 more to go on his contract. With the market for a stay at home defensemen not as furvent as say, one for Mike Green, it is also possible that he could play 15+ years with one team and call it a career.