It is good or not?

lafountain

Not sure if this is the right place for this... but anyway...

Looking to get a "throwback" Islanders #77 Turgeon jersey from the era right before the fisherman mess. I can't seem to find an authentic anywhere (ebay web etc) but they have a decent looking "semi-pro" replica on Icejerseys and sportsk.com Both offer customization.

a) I always liked the semi-pro replicas from the 00's... are these good?

http://www.icejerseys.com/images/products/33/New-York-Islanders-Vintage-Replica-Jersey-1982-(Royal)-N37964_XL.jpg

b. do either IceJerseys.com or SportsK use the proper-era fonts for customization from the early/mid-90's Islanders?

The white version sportsK shows seems about right. Last thing I want is customization with the wrong number/letter font...

Any advice would be appreciated!

Edited by zpalffy

• Replies 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Answer to #1 is they are definitely much better quality than today's replicas, which are trash.

The CCM vintage replicas are pretty decent quality. As for the customization, fonts from back in the early 90's weren't laser-cut/computer-guided, so even though that font is pretty simple, the versions that jersey customizers of today will apply to your jersey tend to have some variations in letter thickness and even the shapes of the numbers and letters. I'd be willing to bet you'd see some noticeable differences between the gameworn jersey lettering and what you would get from the customizers you mentioned. Whether those differences are sufficient enough to bother you obviously depends on how picky you are. Trouble is, with most customizers you have no experience with, you just won't know how accurate the job will be until you get it back. Unless you're lucky enough to find someone who has already had the same jersey lettered by those customizers (someone here, perhaps?).

I'd say you're good

https://www.ebay.com/itm/322112461478

Obviously stripping it would be necessary, but is that price too good to be true? I'm not sure how useful that kit would be for resale.

EDIT: Damnit, the seller increased the price since I posted it.

Edited by TheKevinShow

Still a really good deal assuming you can strip it.

What was the original price?

Edited by jsh139

Yeah, I sent the seller a message asking how the nameplate and numbers are attached.

Did DiPietro ever even wear #1? I can't find any pictures of him wearing anything other than 39.

I'm almost positive I owned that Islanders about a decade ago, and no, it won't strip - if it's the same one, which I'm pretty sure it is, they're cemented on there.

I'm almost positive I owned that Islanders about a decade ago, and no, it won't strip - if it's the same one, which I'm pretty sure it is, they're cemented on there.

That's about the only thing DP has stuck to over his entire NHL career.

Well, we'll see when I get a response from the seller.

Well, we'll see when I get a response from the seller.

It's not like the seller is obligated to tell the truth. That's a pretty unique jersey so I'd listen to slim, I'd be very cautious even if the guy says it'll strip.

My guess is that the price reflects the fact that it's stuck as is.

You're probably right.

Then again, since I can't make any big purchases until the end of the month, someone will beat me to the punch anyway.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Jersey-Devils-Anton-Volchenkov-Game-Used-Jersey/231953356834?

Any reason to believe that a Meigray-tagged gamer starting at $10 (albeit with the reserve price surely being much higher) is anything less than legitimate?

Even though I know it'll cost much more than $10, that's really tempting.

That being said, I feel like since my first jersey was a Blackhawks jersey and my first 2.0 was a Blackhawks jersey, my first gamer should be a Blackhawks jersey.

Decisions, decisions...