It is good or not?

lafountain

3 hours ago, furiousd said:

I'd stay away from that North Stars. It just has too many inconsistencies with how I would expect a legit 91 jersey to look.

Has that seller not been talked about before for maybe having remakes or even fakes 

• Replies 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, furiousd said:

I'd stay away from that North Stars. It just has too many inconsistencies with how I would expect a legit 91 jersey to look.

Cheers D.

It wasn't a serious consideration for me (you'd know that). Thought I'd put it up for discussion and appears that might have been a good thing.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pittsburgh-Penguins-Authentic-Pro-Player-Alternate-Third-Hockey-Jersey-sz-56/292463056809?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

This doesn't look like a fake to me, but what is it?  Going by the nhluniforms.com, the Pens started wearing these alternates in 08-09 and were Edge cut.  This looks like a pre-edge cut.  Maybe they wore it prior to 08-09? 

It’s just a normal Edge 1.0, nothing unusual.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got this Nike Hawks jersey in today. The Nike swoosh and NHL shield are missing at the bottom, but everything else checks out. The shoulder patches are legit. The fight strap looks good. The Indian feels a little thicker than normal.. Has anyone seen anything like this? Does anything look off to anyone besides the missing Nike and Shield symbol?

I uploaded pictures here:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VA3sJvl7gWLfapZ73

45 minutes ago, gwarjis said:

Just got this Nike Hawks jersey in today. The Nike swoosh and NHL shield are missing at the bottom, but everything else checks out. The shoulder patches are legit. The fight strap looks good. The Indian feels a little thicker than normal.. Has anyone seen anything like this? Does anything look off to anyone besides the missing Nike and Shield symbol?

I uploaded pictures here:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VA3sJvl7gWLfapZ73

That is strange. Compared it to my version which is exactly the same (black, Nike, 52, NWT) and everything appears to match minus the swoosh and shield. Could be a manufacturing defect?

Either way, great pickup!! You never see black Nike's come up, let alone with tags. It's one of my favorite jerseys simply because you never see them. Downside is Nike's sizing is massive! That 52 fits like a 56 from CCM.

1 minute ago, mdwsta4 said:

That is strange. Compared it to my version which is exactly the same (black, Nike, 52, NWT) and everything appears to match minus the swoosh and shield. Could be a manufacturing defect?

Either way, great pickup!! You never see black Nike's come up, let alone with tags. It's one of my favorite jerseys simply because you never see them. Downside is Nike's sizing is massive! That 52 fits like a 56 from CCM.

I've had some Nike jerseys (non NHL) from the time period and did not have that experience with the size. But man, that looks like a huge 52. Look at the width of the arms, that looks almost goalie cut!

21 minutes ago, mdwsta4 said:

I was also thinking a possible manufacturer error or possible someone put it together...

What's everyone's opinion on jerseys with manufacturer errors? I guess it's technically more rare, but what about value?

Edited by gwarjis

19 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I've had some Nike jerseys (non NHL) from the time period and did not have that experience with the size. But man, that looks like a huge 52. Look at the width of the arms, that looks almost goalie cut!

Same here.  I have two Nike Authentics and two Nike GWs and their size is virtually identical to my CCMs.  Weird.

9 minutes ago, gwarjis said:

I was also thinking a possible manufacturer error or possible someone put it together...

What's everyone's opinion on jerseys with manufacturer errors? I guess it's technically more rare, but what about value?

In a hobby where everyone is trying to get things as "on ice accurate" as possible, I'd think that errors that make things less accurate make them less desirable. 

Take for example, this big block CCM Devils:

26792266928_1b07568d9b_b.jpg

First reaction was, where's the NHL shield next to the CCM logo? I haven't consulted the Jersey Book yet to see if the Devils ever had a big block CCM without the shield. But I am already considering options on how to get a shield added, I'm not at all thinking "wow, maybe its worth more". 

Oddly enough, this is available on eBay right now:

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Beautiful-New-Jersey-Devils-Sean-Burke-Game-Worn-Used-late-80-s-retro-jersey/192478460562?hash=item2cd09c3a92:g:acUAAOSwkChao0wb

I’m pretty sure that during 1989-90, the Devils had small block logos on some jerseys, and big block ones without NHL shields on others, like this one:

http://www.gamewornauctions.net/products/1989_90_Troy_Crowder_New_Jersey_Devils_Game_Worn_Jersey-6725-153.html

So maybe you don’t need to bother adding the NHL shield.

5 minutes ago, LAK74 said:

Oddly enough, this is available on eBay right now:

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Beautiful-New-Jersey-Devils-Sean-Burke-Game-Worn-Used-late-80-s-retro-jersey/192478460562?hash=item2cd09c3a92:g:acUAAOSwkChao0wb

I’m pretty sure that during 1989-90, the Devils had small block logos on some jerseys, and big block ones without NHL shields on others, like this one:

http://www.gamewornauctions.net/products/1989_90_Troy_Crowder_New_Jersey_Devils_Game_Worn_Jersey-6725-153.html

So maybe you don’t need to bother adding the NHL shield.

Just what I was looking for but had not yet had the time to seek out. Thanks for the info, I can leave it as is and bask in the glory of having purchased it, fully customized, for a very decent price that I don't have to add on to. 

EDIT: If that Burke is in fact a game worn, then whomever did the customizing on mine did a pretty good job!

Edited by mfitz804

Plus, didn't JoeM spend a ton of time removing an NHL shield from a big block jersey?  He wouldn't have done all that work if there wasn't a reason.  Or, maybe he did that to make a Utica jersey?  Can't remember.

3 minutes ago, jsh139 said:

Plus, didn't JoeM spend a ton of time removing an NHL shield from a big block jersey?  He wouldn't have done all that work if there wasn't a reason.  Or, maybe he did that to make a Utica jersey?  Can't remember.

Yes he did, and it was for a Utica (his was black and red, not green and red, although you'd need no shield for that one also). 

I also picked an NHL shield off of a jersey to do the same thing, but I wound up selling mine. To JoeM if I recall correctly. 

On that Burke gamer on eBay, I’m not sure how good the lettering is- is it really a gamer?  Maybe one of the Devils gamer experts here could comment.

Here’s a white big block/no shield 89/90 that was converted into a 91/92.  Once again, a Burke!

http://www.gamewornauctions.net/products/1991_92_Craig_Billington_1989_90_Sean_Burke_New_Jersey_Devils_Game_Worn_Jersey_Photo_Match_Team_Letter-10697-229.html

14 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Yes he did, and it was for a Utica (his was black and red, not green and red, although you'd need no shield for that one also). 

I also picked an NHL shield off of a jersey to do the same thing, but I wound up selling mine. To JoeM if I recall correctly. 

Anyone happen to have a White Swoosh and NHL shield available?

34 minutes ago, LAK74 said:

On that Burke gamer on eBay, I’m not sure how good the lettering is- is it really a gamer?  Maybe one of the Devils gamer experts here could comment.

Here’s a white big block/no shield 89/90 that was converted into a 91/92.  Once again, a Burke!

http://www.gamewornauctions.net/products/1991_92_Craig_Billington_1989_90_Sean_Burke_New_Jersey_Devils_Game_Worn_Jersey_Photo_Match_Team_Letter-10697-229.html

I'm not sure how good it is either...but its a good match to what I have so I am hopeful. My original intention was strip it, add the shield, Brodeur #29. But I think I like it as is so I will save that project for another day. 

The swoosh looks like it’s a patch, but the NHL shield is embroidered directly into the jersey.  It will be difficult to get the shield to look exactly the same as the original; it’s not like just buying an authentic patch from National Emblem.

Edited by LAK74

17 minutes ago, LAK74 said:

The swoosh looks like it’s a patch, but the NHL shield is embroidered directly into the jersey.  It will be difficult to get the shield to look exactly the same as the original; it’s not like just buying an authentic patch from National Emblem.

I was thinking about finding the cheapest Nike authentic and stripping the parts, but I'm leaning towards just returning it at this point.

9 minutes ago, gwarjis said:

I was thinking about finding the cheapest Nike authentic and stripping the parts, but I'm leaning towards just returning it at this point.

If its a rare enough item (and it seems it is), I am not so sure I would be so quick to return it. I'd tolerate a little inaccuracy to have it in my collection vs. not have it.