It is good or not?

lafountain

And not for nothing look at that space between the K and A

• Replies 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks OK to me too.

I just heard of the whole Griffenfood thing and I'm a bit worried as this was my first Starter Mesh pickup. Fingers crossed hoping i didn't get @#$%#$!

20130120041839.jpg

20130120041737.jpg

20130120041416.jpg

This belongs in the 'Deals and Steals'-thread, great buy! B)

I just heard of the whole Griffenfood thing and I'm a bit worried as this was my first Starter Mesh pickup. Fingers crossed hoping i didn't get @#$%#$!

I'm going to say I think yours looks good. The snap button on the fight strap is white, is it not?

That Avs jersey is 100% legit

Any idea what he means by, "CCM COLLAR PATCH IS NOT SEWN ON THE BOTTOM SIDE OF THE TAG ? LOOKS LIKE IT COULD HAVE BEEN ADDED."

No CCM log on the back of the neck?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400389484303?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I don't think there's anything wrong here. The CCM neck tag that says "Authentic Game Jersey" is not supposed to have the lower edge of the tag (where the size tag is attached) stitched down to the jersey. If that's what he meant.

That Avs jersey is 100% legit

I thought so too, but please help us understand what the giveaways are of a griffenfood jersey. I saw Punisher's jersey and thought the same as everyone else...legit, Berlin made because of the tag, great looking jersey. I'm assuming griffenfood only put out customized jerseys, also. No blanks, right? What are the tip-offs, what should we be looking for?

Each fake is different, so the following only applies to punisher's jersey and the fake posted by enzo.

The fight strap on the fake isn't the same as what's used on Starters. Look at the Starter wordmark on the hem- the embroidered letters are off on the fake. The 3 stacked neck tags usually appear on 1996-97 Starters with the S-star/wordmark combination hem logo. The fake with the wordmark-only logo is supposed to be from 1997-99, and those almost always have just 2 tags, the white/orange/black Starter/Center Ice tag and the size tag. Even if the 3 stacked tags did appear on a 1997-98, they are all slightly different in width, not all the same size, as on the fake. The tag borders on the Center Ice/Mise au Jeu and blue Starter logos have been cut off or folded over- they are never sewn into the neck area like that.

If there were more detailed closeup photos of the fake, I'm sure you would be able to spot some differences in how the jersey panels were stitched together.

Thanks LAK, I didn't think to look at the fight strap at all, but I did notice the 3 neck tags with the wordmark on the hem, just wasn't sure if that was one of the giveaways. I also noticed on the Sakic fake that the numbers and the letter on the size tag look like they're printed onto the tag in a different way. Not sure how, just that they look different than my Avs Starters. Mine look like the numbers and letter on the size tag are sort of plastic/vinyl and the Sakic on Ebay's tag looks like it was printed on in some way.

Have to look more closely at everything, now. So, this guy actually constructed these jerseys himself, from scratch? That seems like an overwhelming task to take on. Finding the right material, finding enough material, cutting, sewing all the panels together...etc. Not to mention finding/reproducing all the neck tagging (even with the inaccuracies), fight straps, embroidering all the tail tagging, cutting and sewing all the numbers & tracking down all the patches. It couldn't have been just some guy in his basement, could it?

Thanks for your time LAK. Great, educational info as always.

I also noticed on the Sakic fake that the numbers and the letter on the size tag look like they're printed onto the tag in a different way. Not sure how, just that they look different than my Avs Starters. Mine look like the numbers and letter on the size tag are sort of plastic/vinyl and the Sakic on Ebay's tag looks like it was printed on in some way.

In this particular case, the neck tags really give it away. Just some more observations in addition to what I said earlier. On the fake blue Starter tag, look at the quality of the lettering in the circle around the NHL shield. It's really crappy-looking, especially in the French word "officiel." The word "licencie" looks like it has an "M" in the middle of it, and it looks this way even in the English part ("LICEMSED"). Even the NHL shield itself looks dodgy. On the original tags, the letter "N" doesn't look that great but it looks worse on the fake.

On the size tag, my 1996-97 Starters have the numbers and the R with a raised, shiny vinyl appearance like you said, which is very different than on this fake. However, my 1997-99's do have a less raised, duller finish to them, but the printing still looks more opaque and solid than on the fake. I don't know if this is true for all Starters, but I have never seen an "R" with the lower right leg curved like on the fake. Mine all have straight legs regardless of the season. On 1996-97 Starters, when the 3 tags are stacked together like that, the size tag tends to have numbers with a different, skinnier font. The one on the fake has thicker numbers which look more like those on the 1997-99's.

I'll post the photo of the fake tags here so people can still see it after the auction is gone from eBay:

starter_tags.jpg

I thought this was interesting but don't know anything about it. It's a size 44. The third pic kind of sucks but it's what the person sent me.

The jersey looks legit (early 1990's). However, Chelios wasn't captain in 1992-93, and the back number 7 is wrong (body should be bent more to the left).

LAK is spot on with the Avs Starter sweaters... I have a Griffenfood Sakic that I bought on EBay and I was a little disappointed when I figured out it was fake.. It isn't too bad of a jersey. But it is definitely a little off in several areas... The Starter wordmark and NHL logo on the hem are definitely off.. As LAK also pointed out above the neck tagging is off as well.. Cheap a$$ fightstrap as well.. 19 on sleeves are way too low... Not a bad jersey though for a fake..

photoczr.jpg

photocopy2.jpg

photocopy3i.jpg

LAK is spot on with the Avs Starter sweaters... I have a Griffenfood Sakic that I bought on EBay and I was a little disappointed when I figured out it was fake.. It isn't too bad of a jersey. But it is definitely a little off in several areas... The Starter wordmark and NHL logo on the hem are definitely off.. As LAK also pointed out above the neck tagging is off as well.. Cheap a$$ fightstrap as well.. 19 on sleeves are way too low... Not a bad jersey though for a fake..

photocopy3i.jpg

The thing that stood out to me when I first saw the listing, which looks exactly like your pic, is the silver "dazzle" bottom layer on the numbers. Though when I first saw the listing I did thing the jersey was legit, the customizing - especially that bottom layer - caught my eye and didn't/doesn't look right compared to my Avs jerseys. I just chalked it up to bad customizing. Thanks for all the info guys, big help.

Thanks for confirming that my Av's jersey is legit everyone. I was getting a little nervous there for a min.

@LAK - I honestly thought the white snap was a little weird at first, but its there... aaaand thanks for pointing out the (very obvious now, thanks to you) details in how to spot those fakes. Like SuperTheGreat, the biggest thing my eyes caught at first was the size tag and how it didn't look quite right.

@ThePunisher,

Glad to be of help. Just to be clear, the generalizations I made above pertain mostly to the El Salvador-made retail authentics, which would be the ones you would be most likely to find on places like eBay. Since yours is USA-made, some of the things I mentioned about the size tag, like the font and finish of the numbers, might not apply to your jersey (or the gamers, which were also USA-made). There were also some 1996-97 Starters made in Haiti, which tended to have 3 stacked tags, but with the white/orange/black Center Ice tag instead of the thinner one in English and French. I just found one of these Haitian ones that had a size tag with the curved leg on the "R," so there may always be exceptions to the generalizations I made earlier.

photocopy2.jpg

I'm sorry, but the fight strap being in between the jersey material should have been an instant giveaway that the jersey is fake. If it's not sewn in between pieces of twill, it's not real.