Olympic Hockey

lafountain

That must be a tough day at work for the annoucers trying to keep the viewers engaged.

It's too bad the women's field isn't closer in talent to prevent as many scores as lopsided as this from happening.

OK, just got done watching the US/Switzerland game on my DVR, gotta say that the USA has a little bit of work to do, but all should work itself out. Jack Johnson was everywhere when he was on the ice, haven't seen any Kings games this year so not sure if that is how he plays all the time, but he was in the offensive rush and was getting back to play defense and was doing it quickly, was very impressed with his play.

Hiller kept the Swiss in the game as long as he could, but the Swiss need to figure something out offensively if they hope to pull any upsets this year.

US Women cruised by Russia 13-0.

In Mens Olympic Hockey

Canada looked real good in their game against Norway in their 8-0 win.

It never looked like Canada was trying to run up the score, they were just that much better than Norway all the way around.

OK, just got done watching the US/Switzerland game on my DVR, gotta say that the USA has a little bit of work to do, but all should work itself out. Jack Johnson was everywhere when he was on the ice, haven't seen any Kings games this year so not sure if that is how he plays all the time, but he was in the offensive rush and was getting back to play defense and was doing it quickly, was very impressed with his play.

Hiller kept the Swiss in the game as long as he could, but the Swiss need to figure something out offensively if they hope to pull any upsets this year.

I was amazed at how big the U.S. looked in those navy jerseys. That goal by Backes was a thing of beauty. I was impressed by Malone, or what I saw of him. Unfortunately, I caught bits and pieces of the Canada-Norway game. I did hear that Iggy had a hat trick.

That Backes goal was sick! US is a good team compared to several others but not elite. I think Canada/Russia showed what they are all about. I believe the Swedes go today as well.

Regarding the Canadians, I was almost losing my mind during the first period. Here in the States, they DID NOT SWITCH OVER to the game when it started, then they started showing it on MSNBC after the US womens' game despite the 13-0 blow out and THEN switched it over to CNBC but played commercials until about 2 minutes to go in the period.

I really want to move to Canada just so I can get consistent hockey coverage. :blink:

So I just finished watching the Russia/Latvia game. Fun 3rd period. Russia up 4-0 after 2, then all of the sudden it is 7-2 with 16:30 to go in the 3rd.

Russias offense looked as dangerous as it was expected to be.

I'm rather appalled at how they seem to have no problems starting their coverage of games after the conclusion of the first period. I feel like I'm back in 1980.

From what I've seen in the US, every hockey game that we've missed the beginning of was because of ongoing coverage of another US team. So, I find it understandable that they're keeping US coverage on rather than switching to a hockey game where no US team is playing. We'll see how it plays out further along, but that's been the way it's gone so far from what I've been able to see.

Norway stuck with the Americans pretty well there, til they let it slip at the end. Not a bad showing.

Also, Vikingstad is the best name ever. Especially for a Norwegian :D

Hope the U.S. picks up there game quite a bit on Sunday.

Also, Vikingstad is the best name ever. Especially for a Norwegian :D

Even better - a Norwegian Vampire with a love of plunder! vikingsm.gif

What a set of games so far, Russia/Czech Republic was a good game to watch, but it was easily topped by the US/Canada game. The pure joy on the face of the Americans when they got the empty netter just showed how much they want to win this tournament. Sweden/Finland has a lot to do to keep up with the games that were played today.

So far USA and Russia have earned byes. Winner of Sweden/Finland gets one and then comes the tiebreaker for the 4th one.

What a game. That's all I can say. What a GAME!! I can't remember the last time I saw such incredible hockey.

The last 5 minutes of the game were incredible. The US might just have the horses to hang in for the medal rounds. Canada had another slow start which they can't afford any more. I hope they get past Germany so we can get the epic Russia/Canada showdown.

It's amazing how the smallest things can have such an effect on a tournament format like this.

Case in point, the three seemingly meaningless goals the US scored in the last few minutes against Norway were what elevated it into the #1 seed over Sweden with it's now superior goal differential, allowing them to avoid the bracket with Russia and Canada.

If Canada defeats Switzerland in regulation, they would have had six points, and their superior goal differential over Finland and the Czechs would have earned them a bye.

The last 5 minutes of the game were incredible. The US might just have the horses to hang in for the medal rounds. Canada had another slow start which they can't afford any more. I hope they get past Germany so we can get the epic Russia/Canada showdown.

As great as he is, I think it is time for the Canadians to look at benching Brodeur in favor of Luongo. While Luongo didn't play against the toughest opponent, Brodeur's save percentage is quite ugly so far at only 86.6% which is good enough for 9th place out of 12 in the tournament out of goalies who played at least 2 games.