eBay Tips and Tricks

flountown

So I wanted to get a topic up to concentrate all the strategery people use to find and win their auctions. This will also give us a place to debate the pros-cons of certain things like sniping, away from the Ebay listings thread.

First off, I do use gixen.com to snipe and I don't feel bad about it.

Another thing I use to find some of the rarer items that you want to search for is using the RSS feed option.

I have an iGoogle homepage with an RSS feed reader that I use. I don't use this for large ticket or popular items as it would return too many results, but its great for the rarer items that you hate to constantly type in everyday individually for searching. For example, in my feed I have a 'macon whoopee' search feed, a 'philadelphia wings jersey' feed, and some others. When I log into Google, if there are any new items that match these terms, they show up in my feed. This saves a boatload of time especially on the less common items.

To get the RSS feed for your search, just go to eBay and search like you normally would and at the bottom of the search you will see the little RSS icon. Right click and copy the link location, or click and copy the text from the web address and paste this into an RSS reader of your choice. Do this for as many searches as you like, heck you can even do this to follow different sports writers and bloggers like the following: http://thirdstringgoalie.blogspot.com/rss.xml

Please post up any type of tips, tricks, and so forth that you all use to streamline your eBay experience.

When it comes to finding jerseys on eBay i use 3 searches that have worked well for me.

"CCM Jersey"

"Koho Jersey" and

"Maska Jersey"

I find that works well cause it automatically weaves out MANY of the fakes and even more of the JERSEY CARDS. Some of the fake vintage jerseys find there way in those searches however.

When i find the jersey i want to buy i either ask the seller if there is a price they'll end it for early....or i use, www.hidbid.com

I've never used a sniping service. My preferred method is to put a jersey I want in my watch list in my Ebay. Then about 5-10 minutes before the auction ends, I open the page and place my bid...sometimes with even less than 5 minutes left. Once my bid is placed I keep the page open and continue to hit refresh. I have won about three or four jerseys this way.

Pretty simple strategy, but I'm a keep it short and to the point kind of girl. :thumbsup:

That's what I do too but I don't bid until there's about 30 seconds left. Then, I put my max in this way there's no chance of losing it unless the other guy REEEEEALLY wants it.

That's what I do too but I don't bid until there's about 30 seconds left. Then, I put my max in this way there's no chance of losing it unless the other guy REEEEEALLY wants it.

I do exactly what Mike does. I just put in the max that I'll pay with about 15 seconds left. That way I'll either save some money or know that the other guy simply wanted it a little more that I did and that's alright.

I also try and stay away from sniping services. I don't think they're bad or anything, I just think I would actually spend more money than I already do if I used them.

I'm in the minority because I'm anti-sniping (for me personally - others can do as they like).

As soon as I see the item, I bid. I try to be incredibly honest with myself and not bid what I'd like to pay - instead I try think what the maximum amount would that where I'd not kick myself for bidding, then I normally add $5 or $10 on to that. Then I move on - usually only checking in on the auction once more.

My thought is, I can't affect or control what other people do - if someone wants to pay more than me, they will. Waiting until the last minute in my opinion just raises the likelihood that I'll miss time it and the auction will be over. I don't have time to jump on eBay to watch auctions like a hawk - so I just fire and forget.

i'll put a base on it, a couple days after it's listed, to see if there is any major intrest in it. If someone else bids, I wait until about 30 min left in the auction and put up a bid that's not my highest. I wait and see if anyone bids on it, and then I enter my highest at 15 seconds, usually about 20 higher than what it normally is.

I click bid, go to the second screen and count like 8-10 seconds down, then hit bid the second time to snipe at 2 seconds left or so.

Haven't lost this way yet.

• 2 weeks later...

for finding hockey jerseys on ebay, most of them are generally in one of three sections.

1) Sporting Goods - Team Sports - Ice & Roller Hockey. just search for "jersey" once there.

2)Sports Mem, Cards & Fan Shop - Fan Apparel & Souveniers - Hockey - Other

- Minors

- Team Canada

- NHL

and just look under the jerseys section.

you used to be able to go to the Fan Apparel & Souveniers and click on the jerseys and then you could click on multiple areas (other, minors, etc.) but this doesn't seem to be available now, and i end up going through them one at a time now.

3)Clothing, Shoes & Accessories. search for "hockey jersey" - use advanced search to weed out some of the other stuff that isn't jerseys such as "shirt".

For patches, there are usually very few in the sporting goods section. Most are in Fan Apparel & souveniers, or in Sports Mem, Cards & Souveniers - Vintage Sports Memorabilia - patches.

They probably is a better way of finding jerseys and patches, but that's what I've been doing recently.

always search "newly listed" items first.. incase theres a Buy it Now deal.. sometimes search "including descriptions" as well. sometimes spell things wrong on purpose because there are people who cannot spell..

~one time I searched "sweeden(2 E's) jersey".. and i got a Forsberg authentic sweden for 20 bucks ~

in regards to bidding. I almost always wait until the last day, its nuts to bid early. someone will almost surely bid it up almost all the time.sometimes people will bid to the top just to see themselves as the high bidder..youre definetly adding on a good chunk of funds that you may or may not need to come up with.. my advice .. Just wait until the last day guys!

keep it in your watched items, and ebay sends you an email about 6-8 hours before the item ends. and then either prepare yourself to be there while it ends. or use a bidding service.. only time I use sniping is when I know I wont be around to bid on it myself.. which im doing tonight for a certain jersey Ive wanted since moving to phoenix.. hint hint..

I couldnt stand not getting something I really wanted to have, or paying way more than it was possibly worth because I decided to bid too early.. its hard enough to find the jerseys were all looking for. you gotta do everything and anything you can to obtain it, especially at a good price!

I search ebay.com , ebay.co.uk , ebay.it , ebay.fr, ebay.de twice a week for jerseys as well.. Ive gotten some killer deals.. many game worns for EXTREMELY cheap...im talking $20-$40.. but as you all know, I sometimes buy jerseys just to resell them and keep the funds going to get other new jerseys without having to really dip into my own pocket..

ebay kicks Arse.. I just wish the fees werent so high to list.. I understand they have to make money.But man, they make a cheap car payment off me a month!

always search "newly listed" items first.. incase theres a Buy it Now deal.. sometimes search "including descriptions" as well. sometimes spell things wrong on purpose because there are people who cannot spell..

~one time I searched "sweeden(2 E's) jersey".. and i got a Forsberg authentic sweden for 20 bucks ~

I 100% agree. The best bargains are from listings that are misspelled, or with a terrible/lazy description.