How to spot a fake jersey!

I'd say you got a good deal as you only paid about half of what they usually go for.

No way. The regular price on a blank premier replica is $130-135, with many many sites offering them for $110-120. Even the price tag he showed in the pictures said $109.99. So he got a bit of a deal at $10 off, but nothing spectacular.

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No way. The regular price on a blank premier replica is $130-135, with many many sites offering them for $110-120. Even the price tag he showed in the pictures said $109.99. So he got a bit of a deal at $10 off, but nothing spectacular.

My bad, I was going off of nhlshop.com for one that you could customize or buy blank.

Just out of curiosity, what is the date indicated on the tag (on both the Hawks and Mighty Ducks) right after where it says "Trademark of CCM Holdings"? I can't quite read it in the Hawks photo.

Thats really interesting about the size tags. The north stars jersey I saw did have the jersey size written in ballpoint pen on the Maska tag. Thank you very much for letting me know that.

As for your question regarding the tag on the jerseys it reads, " *Trademark of CCM Holdings (1983) INC.

How about these? I'm not the most experienced with this.. the price I'd be buying from this guy isn't too expensive so I want to double check here..

http://imageshack.us/a/img27/2125/jzob.jpg

I am not sure if you are looking at all three or one particular jersey from the picture. Make sure and ask to see the tags on the jersey before you buy them. I can tell you that on the Coyotes authentics the tan color on the Coyotes face is actually a suede like material. I have heard it refered as sew suede.

As for your question regarding the tag on the jerseys it reads, " *Trademark of CCM Holdings (1983) INC.

The 1990's CCM's all seem to have the 1983 date on the tag. The few 1980's tags that I've seen had an earlier date on them, so I suppose the tags on your Hawks and Mighty Ducks jerseys were not leftover older tags as I speculated earlier. Btw, around 1993-94, for some teams CCM started replacing the Maska Ultrafil and Airknit neck tags with a newer one that looks very much like the one in the Hawks photo, except that instead of "Made in USA" it says "Assembled in Canada with USA and Canadian Components." This tag eventually replaced the Maska ones for all other teams as well. I would guess then, that the Hawks jersey was probably made around 1993 or so when they started changing the tags. It can't have been made much later, since the Hawks switched to airknit in 1994.

Thanks for your imput guys. The reason I was asking is because I just picked up a jersey with the same exact tags only it is a Mighty Ducks jersey. I wasn't sure about the tag because other than this Blackhawks jersey and my Mighty Ducks jersey I haven't seen the made in the US tag. I am not a jersey expert though so I haven't looked at a lot of Jerseys with this tag. I have a Minnesota North Stars jersey from this time period and it has the Maska Ultrafil tag. Side by side the jerseys look the same and the fabric is ultrafil on the Ducks jersey. Any other imput on the tags would be appreciated. I always enjoy learning new info about authentics.

One more question about authentics. I was looking for a Minnesota North Stars jersey from the years 89-90 or 90-91. Basically the jersey before their final jerseys in Minnesota (I already have the final jersey before they moved to Dallas). Does anyone know if CCM put in the size tags during this time period? I have seen some on Ebay that have a hand written number on the tag either because the tag fell off or they didn't come with one. Thanks again guys.

Wish I had seen this earlier haha, as that is my eBay listing. I have another one with the Canadian ULTRAFIL tag, and the jerseys are exactly the same material/specs wise, only the tagging is different. I don't know why that is, but it is definitely a legit jersey.

Wish I had seen this earlier haha, as that is my eBay listing. I have another one with the Canadian ULTRAFIL tag, and the jerseys are exactly the same material/specs wise, only the tagging is different. I don't know why that is, but it is definitely a legit jersey.

Also for LAK74.

Yeah I have seen more of those jerseys with the tags that read , "Made in Canada with US and Canadian Components. I didn't know that information about when the tags changed over. I know that the change over for some teams from ultrafil to airnit jerseys were during different years as wel in the 1990's. I am thinking my Ducks Jersey is probably from around the 1993 season.

As for your listing regarding the Blackhawks jersey. In no way did I feel that the jersey wasn't real based on comparing my ducks jersey side by side with my stars jersey (which has the maska ultrafil tag). They are both Ultrafil material I just had never seen that tag and wasn't sure what to make of it. I find it very interesting how you can determine time periods of jerseys based on tags. Also the fact that the made of us components in canada type stuff is because of trading and manufacturing laws. I have seen some starter jerseys that have the made in EL Salvador with US components and others that just said made in EL Salvador, both of which are authentic jerseys. The Coyotes authentic player worn starter jerseys were made in the US and have different tagging. Not sure if other teams did that who wore starter jerseys in the 90's. I'm a Yotes fan so I did a lot of past research on their tagging for Starter jerseys. The more I research tags, the easier it is for me to find what I want. I appreciate all of your feedback and knowledge. I sometimes wish the tagging was a little more uniform but I like the history they carry.

Another question. The NHL 75th anniversary patches sold on ebay, are those authentic or refabrications? I was looking to get the NHL 75th Anniversary Patch and the Minnesota North Stars 25th Anniversary Patch for my jersey and I don't want crappy looking patches on my authentic. Thanks again guys.

Nearly all the NHL 75th patches on eBay are reproductions, especially when the seller has multiple copies available. Personally I think the ones sold by Ice Hockey Patches are the best of the repros- they seem good enough to me that I've actually used them on my authentics.

If you want a North Stars 25th, contact Casey Samuelson (username here is PenguinsChronicles.com). He still might have one that he posted recently in "The Patch Thread."

Nearly all the NHL 75th patches on eBay are reproductions, especially when the seller has multiple copies available. Personally I think the ones sold by Ice Hockey Patches are the best of the repros- they seem good enough to me that I've actually used them on my authentics.

If you want a North Stars 25th, contact Casey Samuelson (username here is PenguinsChronicles.com). He still might have one that he posted recently in "The Patch Thread."

Thank for the info and recommendations. I will look into the patches.

• 4 weeks later...

It's a legit replica. Fake replicas would be so rare there's little point in worrying about them. If it has replica tags, a letter size, and no fight strap, it's most likely legit.

• 5 weeks later...

I dont know if this has been asked before but 2 questions how can you tell a fake 6100 seeing as how they have been out a while some things to look for and secondly do premiers have fight straps im almost positive fight straps are a sign of authentic but thats why im asking thank you in advance

Replicas never have fight straps. As for fake 6100's, there rare but there have been some penguins 6100's of Crosby and Lemieux that are around. You can tell the same way that one is fake like fake edges including fight strap, shiny material for customization etc

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The jersey is a legit replica from the early 1990's. The letters in Gretzky's name look very much like the style used in the 1989-90 season, but unfortunately the numbers (especially on the arms) are not accurate.

Edited by LAK74

Even a legit jersey can have inaccurate customization put on it- it doesn't make it a fake. My comment about the numbers had nothing to do with the legitimacy of the jersey.

Washing jerseys a lot may cause some wrinkling in the lettering, but you might be able to fix that by ironing it with a lot of steam. Be sure to put a shirt between the jersey and iron to avoid scorching.

• 1 month later...

I have a question about jerseys that are advertised as Edge on ice replica's that have that green reebok strip instead of the silver piping on the collar line, they can't be authentic right? They also say that they're manufactured in Indonesia but don't have as much tags as other Edge jerseys that are manufactured in Canada. Can anybody enlighten a guy like me who wants to move into Authentics and Edge jerseys but doesn't want to get scammed out of 200 bucks?

Those are indo edges. They are nothing like 2.0's. They aren't necessarily fake since there licensed but they are nothing more than glorified replicas with cheap fight straps.