How to spot a fake jersey!

Everything that guy is selling is fake. :noway:

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even with all the info on this board, its still hard for me to tell real from fake, especially when it comes to older jerseys/styles.

Size 48 is a dead giveaway. Reebok doesn't make size 48 in EDGE cuts. Keep in mind though, that this ONLY applies to EDGE jerseys. Reebok 6100's (which are the same as CCM/Koho 6100's) were available in 48, as were Starter, Nike and Pro Player. If you see a current jersey (or any jersey since 2007-08 when the EDGE system came about) in a 48, it's fake.

Size 48 is a dead giveaway. Reebok doesn't make size 48 in EDGE cuts. Keep in mind though, that this ONLY applies to EDGE jerseys. Reebok 6100's (which are the same as CCM/Koho 6100's) were available in 48, as were Starter, Nike and Pro Player. If you see a current jersey (or any jersey since 2007-08 when the EDGE system came about) in a 48, it's fake.

Good info, thanks

First post, but I've checked here frequently when I've needed hockey and/or jersey info. Great message board!

Anyway... thoughts on this one? Real or fake?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zdeno-Chara-Jersey-Size-52-XL-Boston-Bruins-BRAND-NEW-TAGS-/170771265234?pt=U_Hockey_Fan_Shop&hash=item27c2c2b6d2

First post, but I've checked here frequently when I've needed hockey and/or jersey info. Great message board!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zdeno-Chara-Jersey-Size-52-XL-Boston-Bruins-BRAND-NEW-TAGS-/170771265234?pt=U_Hockey_Fan_Shop&hash=item27c2c2b6d2

Definite fake, there is a thread dedicated for people to ask if it's a good jersey or not btw :) and welcome!

http://forums.icejerseys.com/index.php?showtopic=2060

Fake for sure you can tell by looking at the NHL shield on the reebok tag on the neck its done horribly.

New to the site but been looking around the site fora while. Just got into hockey after a 10 year break doing other things and have been completely

surprised by the amount of fake jerseys knocking about. I'm from the UK and, having educated myself here and elsewhere am now very wary about a lot of

the jerseys I see for sale online. I'd be royally p***ed if someone bought me one thinking it was the real thing but was nothing more than a cheap knock off.

Here's one I wanted to get a second opinion on, especially as the guy on eBay.co.uk is pretty insistant that the jersey is an authentic Blackhawks edge.

To me it's a fake - fight strap - reebok neck tag and size label - nhl logo on front bottom of neckline looks wrong and so on. Would anyone care to take a look and hopefully confirm my suspicions:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chicago-Blackhawks-Reebok-Edge-Jersey-Jonathan-Toews-2010-Cup-Run-/140700654203?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item20c2699a7b

Cheers

Chris

I hope the mods let this post stay up because recently I ran into a few fake 90's jerseys.

First I'll start with an early 90's Vancouver Canucks:

You can see the size tag is incorrect.

IMG_2087.jpg

The jersey is shiny.

ScreenShot2012-02-13at124648AM.png

ScreenShot2012-02-13at124734AM.png

And the patches are creased.

ScreenShot2012-02-13at124659AM.png

ScreenShot2012-02-13at124708AM.png

Here is a 1997-1998 Nike Detroit Red Wings jersey, as you can see the Nike sign is to round and the fight strap is missing. Now I know I've heard this from so many people saying that Nike jerseys were never faked, well there is one there.

ScreenShot2012-02-12at23053PM.png

ScreenShot2012-02-12at23107PM.png

Please add as much information as you can to this page.

Thank you,

i have seen both of those before , the Bure was being sold on ebay with a coa from whatsitworth.com and their "team" of experts. I have also seen a nords 90's and yzerman jersey faked as well. Best way is just go to one of these fake sites and see what they have everyday new stuff shows up

Creased patches mean nothing, thats just the way the jersey is folded, I've gotten retail jerseys in the bag still that had creased patches, nothing a white t-shirt and iron can't fix

Here is a 1997-1998 Nike Detroit Red Wings jersey, as you can see the Nike sign is to round and the fight strap is missing. Now I know I've heard this from so many people saying that Nike jerseys were never faked, well there is one there.

Those Nike jerseys have been faked and it has been well documented.

Some even have the Game-worn set stamp on the inside back hem which mentions it is a playoff set.

if its worth good Money it will be faked. Caveat emptor!

In all walks of life. Watches. Cars. Paintings.Even drugs! You name it. They will fake it.

Mods, maybe move all these posts into the EXISTING "How to spot a fake jersey" thread. I don't really see a need for another post dedicated to a widely discussed topic.

For the newer members:

If you have any questions about a specific jersey you want to know the legitimacy of, utilize the "Is it good or not" thread and we will help you.

If you have any input about discovering fake jersey traits utilize the "How to spot a fake jersey" thread.

Again, not trying to be a ######, but lets try and streamline the boards and put stuff in a place where it will be most useful to everyone here.

For the newer members:

If you have any questions about a specific jersey you want to know the legitimacy of, utilize the "Is it good or not" thread and we will help you.

Again, not trying to be a ######, but lets try and streamline the boards and put stuff in a place where it will be most useful to everyone here.

:rolleyes:

What he said.

If you take the time to go through the boards, you'll quickly familiarize yourself and learn where everything is. You'll also gain a wealth of info.

Too much information, often redundant, doesn't help anyone. Try and AVOID starting new topics that have already been posted elsewhere.

And just for the record, chow_hound isn't the resident ##### here, I am :D

• 3 weeks later...

There's only one picture, and not a very clear one at that, but I don't see anything to indicate it's not legit. Jersey cut (shape), sleeve tags, neck tags and fight strap appear to be good. Could be more certain if more photos with better detail were given.