How to spot a fake jersey!

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its the Ducks third mixed with Dallas' home/away. Unoriginal, but I do like black. I like the font as well (see the Streit kit I posted in the third jersey page).

On a side note, I love how Ranger fans all think they have an authentic Winter Classic jersey. Also, some ranger fan was trying to tellthe people waiting before the game for autos that had an authentic Cally third. The retired numbers were printed on the front of the jersey on the outside. He was like "look at the position of the K in New York"..its only like that on authentics. I was like no, its only there on fakes :thumbsup:

When I went to the Anaheim game, I saw nothing but tools in fake Winter Classic jerseys. I was walking around yelling "FAKE!" at people between periods.

• 4 weeks later...

im having a tough time determining if my Capitals Ovechkin jersey is a fake. I got it from my manager at work (who is a blackhawks fan) he says it was real, and i'm 99% sure it was a gift to him.

It has the "A" so i'm assuming it is an EDGE 1.0. i did the water test and the water wicked away. It is also stretchy, though i don't know how stretchy it is supposed to be, but i would say it is pretty stretchy. From what I can tell the stitching is correct and colors and fonts look appropriate. The reebok patch on the back neck and the NHL badge on the throat looks correct as well (the NHL is black and grey/silver). The size tag and RBK/NHL authentic tag on the neck seem correct.

What im worried about is the "A" doesn't seem right. the little triangle inside the letter is solid white. should that be red with a white border? also around the stitching on the front capitals logo, some of the edges are somewhat sharp/rough. Could that be from how old it is? lastly the fight strap stretches longways and i've seen inconsistent pictures about a proper fight strap. it is sewn properly though: direct center, you can see the square on the outside under the number, the sewing is the square within a square with an X patern in the smaller square.

If this is a fake, its the best fake ive ever seen, how can someone get something like the "A" wrong, but have the water wicking material?

im having a tough time determining if my Capitals Ovechkin jersey is a fake. I got it from my manager at work (who is a blackhawks fan) he says it was real, and i'm 99% sure it was a gift to him.

It has the "A" so i'm assuming it is an EDGE 1.0. i did the water test and the water wicked away. It is also stretchy, though i don't know how stretchy it is supposed to be, but i would say it is pretty stretchy. From what I can tell the stitching is correct and colors and fonts look appropriate. The reebok patch on the back neck and the NHL badge on the throat looks correct as well (the NHL is black and grey/silver). The size tag and RBK/NHL authentic tag on the neck seem correct.

What im worried about is the "A" doesn't seem right. the little triangle inside the letter is solid white. should that be red with a white border? also around the stitching on the front capitals logo, some of the edges are somewhat sharp/rough. Could that be from how old it is? lastly the fight strap stretches longways and i've seen inconsistent pictures about a proper fight strap. it is sewn properly though: direct center, you can see the square on the outside under the number, the sewing is the square within a square with an X patern in the smaller square.

If this is a fake, its the best fake ive ever seen, how can someone get something like the "A" wrong, but have the water wicking material?

Welcome to the board!

Post some pics! To be 100% certain, posting pictures would be necessary

Very fake. The fight strap and vector are dead giveaways. The fight strap on legit authentic jerseys (up until this year with the Indonesian-made EDGE jerseys anyway) is always sewn to a piece of twill, not cotton like the one you posted. The vector is also embroidered, but on a real jersey it would be a patch that's sewn onto the jersey.

Really bad fake.

Burn it. Not just because its an Ovi. The name and number material is the traditional stuff the knock offs use. The RBK ring around the collar is incorrect. All in all it's a classic fake. Sorry you had to come to a site full of strangers to find out, but feel free to hang out here, post questions, learn about sweaters and maybe get some real nice ones from members, ebay, or our host IJ.

burning it is a bit extreme... take a black sharpie to the front crest and shoulder patches/numbers, cut the fight strap out, and donate it to goodwill. no one will want it as a jersey but maybe it can keep someone warm...

I got it from my manager at work (who is a blackhawks fan) he says it was real, and i'm 99% sure it was a gift to him.

The biggest lesson here is to never trust a Blackhawks fan.

Red Wings fan here. I finally decided to buy a jersey, and I settled on a Datsyuk Premier, home red, size XL. I was going to buy it from Amazon.com since I trust them and I'm a sucker for free shipping, BUT being the cheap Arse that I am, I was enticed by an Amazon Marketplace listing that was like $20 cheaper. At the time, I figured I was already skimping by getting a premier, so I might as well skimp a bit more. And I didn't think there'd be too much risk of getting a fake Premier. Lo and behold, when the jersey arrived, the tags said Authentic! The stitching looked clean, fight strap, size 52... at first glance it looked legit (this was my first jersey, so I'm no expert). At first I thought the poor guy didn't know what he was selling, and I just got a great deal. Then I looked closer and started to become very suspicious. I let my friend who owns several pre-EDGE jerseys inspect it, and he couldn't tell one way or the other (he's a dumb Flyers fan :P). So now I WANT to believe it's legit, but at the same time I'm pretty sure it's a fake. I'm obsessed, conflicted, and dying to know, so I'm deferring to you guys. Give it to me straight.

The black Center Ice tag in the last picture says copyright 2007, if that comes into the decision at all. If you guys decide if it's a fake (I feel like it'll be obvious for you), I'll probably shell out for a legit authentic after Christmas. Same jersey (home datsyuk), any recommendations on where to buy?

f1029f04.jpg

f6904c5f.jpg

2f7b61c5.jpg

f17ea8c8.jpg

3c570d63.jpg

6c0cfd22.jpg

dd47042b.jpg

b6cc4ad1.jpg

Definitely a fake...as for where to buy after XMAS look out for deals, JerseyExpress right now have them for about $170 shipped if you are in the US

burning it is a bit extreme... take a black sharpie to the front crest and shoulder patches/numbers, cut the fight strap out, and donate it to goodwill. no one will want it as a jersey but maybe it can keep someone warm...

True, but it could also keep someone warm if it were on fire..... :thumbsup:

I let my friend who owns several pre-EDGE jerseys inspect it, and he couldn't tell one way or the other (he's a dumb Flyers fan :P).

This is a bigger problem than you having a fake jersey. :noway:

any recommendations on where to buy?

Any legit retailer or legit eBay seller (there are a few, thank god) - NHL.com obviously, IceJerseys, JerseyExpress. You can always find blanks on eBay, usually for decent prices, and then send them to be professionally lettered. Again, IceJerseys and JerseyExpress both do that. So does Exclusive Pro Sports, but you might not see your jersey until next season with EPS.