Need some branding help...

flountown

So, I am an engineer at Drexel with a concentration in Biomechanics and Human Performance.

I have a few hockey equipment ideas that I am working on getting patented, and in the meanwhile I am having some fun trying to come up with a company name and logo. Now, I wanted to get feedback as well as any further suggestions. My name is Andrew Moriarity, Drew for short, and somehow wanted to incorporate my name into it. My friend come up with the idea of dreWMore, which has grown on me, but I didn't want the visual of the word 'more' in it, and morphed it to dreWMorr and came up with the following logo:

logo1.png

First, what are your opinions on the general concept, and feel free to suggest other names, slogans, etc. I want you to be able to picture a kid, maybe even your kid, standing in a pro-shop saying something like, 'But Dad, I don't want the Easton shoulder pads, I WANT THE dreWMorr ONES!!!'

• 1 month later...

What about just using your last name of Moriarity? I think that actually sounds like a pretty good name for a hockey equipment company.

Paul

www.PensJerseys.com

Edited by Paul

• 4 weeks later...

What about just using your last name of Moriarity? I think that actually sounds like a pretty good name for a hockey equipment company.

Paul

www.PensJerseys.com

Meh, I am not super crazy about that. I want it to have a hint of my name in it, but I want it to sound cool and trendy. One thing I have noticed is 2 syllable names seem to stick better. Also, I want to distance myself from it as well in case I ever sell out for the big bucks.

I currently have 2 ideas that I am in the process of patenting and will share once I do so. Then I have a few other ideas to compete in a high end way at first. I might be able to work a meet with the Flyers equipment manager, so maybe the Flyers will be wearing some dreWMorr products in the next few years :)

Branding is what I do 9-5, I'm a graphic designer and work freelance for a couple different design firms.

At first I wasn't crazy about the name, but it's growing on me. kinda sounds like "do more" which has a positive spin.

The wordmark isn't doing the name any good though, it's too grunge and hard to read with too much emphasis on the WM.

Also it doesn't look "performance". Not sure what kind of products your coming up with but I would suggest thinking

of more performance/innovative words or suffixes. also, think about words and places you like, make it personal maybe.

If not your last name, maybe there's a cool place, Drexel is a great word. Morr is pretty cool too.

Nike always has cool names for it hockey gear.

- drewtek

- morrtek

- tactix

- drextech

- morr

- Morr Gear

Branding is what I do 9-5, I'm a graphic designer and work freelance for a couple different design firms.

At first I wasn't crazy about the name, but it's growing on me. kinda sounds like "do more" which has a positive spin.

The wordmark isn't doing the name any good though, it's too grunge and hard to read with too much emphasis on the WM.

Also it doesn't look "performance". Not sure what kind of products your coming up with but I would suggest thinking

of more performance/innovative words or suffixes. also, think about words and places you like, make it personal maybe.

If not your last name, maybe there's a cool place, Drexel is a great word. Morr is pretty cool too.

Nike always has cool names for it hockey gear.

- drewtek

- morrtek

- tactix

- drextech

- morr

- Morr Gear

Thanks for your suggestions, I was skeptical about the logo as well. I am going to use a similar color scheme and maybe layout but with a different font. I have grown to like the name, the original thought I had was Moritech but it was taken by an IT company if i remember correctly.

And yes, our original thought was to use "Do More" as the slogan, but I think American Express has used it in the past...I couldn't find it on a trademark search though. We came up with "Advance Your Game" as a secondary option.

Again, thanks for any and all help.

• 5 weeks later...

Well a slight update, I was reading hannuvirta's stuff again and seeing 'morr' just hit me...

Going to go with 'morr' as the new name moving forward. It opens up a whole slew of advertising ideas such as the original 'do more' but now it's going to be stuff like:

do morr

do morr with your game

be morr

etc. etc. etc.

I am really pumped with this new name, hannuvirta, definitely owe you a beer if you are ever in the Philadelphia area...

Secondly, I was thinking of moving to something more logo based as well, and I had an idea of involving something similar to a plus symbol, as the whole idea is 'more' its like adding your game. Also, there are four letters in the name/4 arms on a plus sign, so maybe something could be worked out that way.

If this sounds stupid, let me know, I am open to any and all criticism at this point.