E-Bay clean up.

Thelonious Sphere Monk

:angry: :angry: :angry:

I'm SO sick of all the fakes on e-bay I've been and will be reporting EVEY fake jersey I have the displeasure of clicking on. I have never reported anyone on E-bay before but it makes me sick to see sellers sucking bidders in for well over $100 bucks for a fake. If no one else will bother, ###### it. I will! Anyone who claims the jerseys are "Authentic" are open season! They have no recourse otherwise. :noway:

I would ask the community here to do the same once in a while. Get the E-bay people off there asses. Right or wrong they have to check out the report just like a #911 call.

Three strikes on a seller and they have to open another account. Problematic for them at best. Just report a "listing Violation" - "Misleading Title" and explain in brief the problem with the jersey. Some are FAR more obvious then others and wont take much for the Admin to remove the listing.

I know it sound like a insurmountable task. I would compare it to trying to plug up the BP oil spill in the gulf in a sense BUT I've had success with over TEN listings so far in under 2 weeks!! It don't take much, just a click or three :) I swear 5 or 10 of us could do a major dent, Imagine 50 or 100?

That's my rant. Thanks for reading. :fight: the war on fakes, or at least start one.

What if Everyone were to commit to doing the jerseys from a specific team. Starting with "Newly Listed"

I am on ebay probably 3 times a day. It would take a week to get rid of most of them if we were to report the newly listed fakes.

I'll do Flames!!

Sigh. I've been simply trying to get ebay to remove one sellers fake twins jerseys from the "game used" jersey section with no luck. It makes me crazy that there are 148 listings for game worn twins items, 95 are non-game worn knockoffs from one seller and the majority of what's left are trading cards with teeny, tiny pieces of what used to be jerseys, but aren't anymore, so they belong only in the trading card section, not the game used jersey section.

My understanding is that you can't report something as being fake unless you represent the company they are counterfeiting. Don't get me wrong, you can report whatever you want, but they will dismiss it unless you represent Reebok, or the the teams in question in most cases.

This is what I was told when I worked for the University of Kentucky Hockey team and we had some of our posters being illegally reproduced and sold on eBay. A parent of one of our players kept reporting them to eBay but they wouldn't pull the listings. Eventually I had to contact eBay on behalf of the team and we had to jump through a bunch of hoops to get them pulled.

My understanding is that you can't report something as being fake unless you represent the company they are counterfeiting. Don't get me wrong, you can report whatever you want, but they will dismiss it unless you represent Reebok, or the the teams in question in most cases.

Someone said on here a while back that e-bay had told them they'd only act if the complaint came from the copyright holder or something. Annoying, but I'm sure e-bay would be loath to lose all those listing fees from all the knock-offs.

Ebay has really become a garbage heap. They are making huge money being the middle-man for these (illegal!) fakes. They have no interest in doing the right thing. It's both disappointing and disgusting.

Luckily, I've reached the point where I don't expect much movement in my collection (either buy or sell) for a while.

Ebay is now a terrible environment for legit buyers and sellers.

It's getting harder for buyers to filter through all the fakes out there and some fakes are getting better to the point where a casual collector might choose a good fake over the real deal...pretty sad...There was a time where you saw the occasional fake now it's to the point where its like 80% fake out there and some ebay sellers have been doing it for years now with fake rangers,canucks,and more recently 3 patch pens, double ccm oilers, and kings jerseys.It looks like some people dont care if the jersey they buy is fake as long as the price is as cheap as the POS they buy. I find it very frustrating as a seller to compete with this crap since it almost devalues all the real stuff being sold out there.

You get still report them for basic listing violations such as pictures of two different jerseys for the same jersey. That's a easy one. If they show a picture of the authentic CCM jersey and another of a replica or a vintage edition in the same auction well that's a violation.

There's more then one way to skin a cat (I still don't know the 1st way) but I'm sure you can get creative and knit-pick at there false/bad description and misleading pictures.

Item location is another. The sellers ID may be based in USA but sends the jerseys from Asia. Well unless he points that out to you that in the auction header NOT the description then you can report them. The items location has to be the same as the sellers location unless it says so in the item header when you do a search. They like to toss that in at you at the end. 2 weeks lead time from Asia. The jersey prolly doesn't even exist yet.

The BEST case scenario that can happen is when you inquire about a jersey using E-bay mail and they send you a link to their web site to buy it direct. Well my friends. That's about the WORST thing any seller can do and they WILL jump all over his head. Its called circumventing auction fee's. watch the sparks fly on that one.

Here's the problem with reacting emotionally to a perceived problem. It's not eBay's job to police every market and pick out the counterfeits. That's why they stay hands-off until/unless the intellectual-property owner steps up to make a claim AND provides proof.

It's not just restricted to eBay, and it's also easy to cast a disparaging eye against them simply on the basis of their size and reach. It's easy to express dissatisfaction against a giant, nameless, faceless corporation that will have zero chance of interacting with you personally.

Hell, not all of US know the exact details of the fakes and reals. It's not reasonable for eBay to maintain a staff of experts for every possible item that may ever possibly exist.

Finally, how are they to distinguish the authenticity of the complaint itself? In that similar vein, anyone can claim counterfeiting and draw up a number of convincing reasons, but how is eBay to know that the complaint is legitimate or coming from a disgruntled customer or vendor whose motives aren't necessarily pure?

Too many questions and loose ends for this sort of venture to make any sense.

Being a Star Wars costumer, we get this sort of thing in our field just as often. Lots of overseas and offshore costume makers who make absolute garbage, but sell them for cheap. Then we get applicants who get mad when we tell them that those costumes aren't acceptable for our groups because they're not accurate or will fall apart at the first event they wear them to. Then WE'RE the bad guys for being "elitist snobs."

Whatever.

Being a Star Wars costumer, we get this sort of thing in our field just as often. Lots of overseas and offshore costume makers who make absolute garbage, but sell them for cheap. Then we get applicants who get mad when we tell them that those costumes aren't acceptable for our groups because they're not accurate or will fall apart at the first event they wear them to. Then WE'RE the bad guys for being "elitist snobs."

Heh...I remember those days! :D You do make some solid points though. It really is nearly impossible to get all the crap off of the site itself because as long as eBay makes a profit on said items, the stuff isn't going anywhere any time soon.

that's what this is here for...so others can bounce an item of all of the people here and based on that, build their knowledge and opinions....all we can do is try to inform one at a time for a person with a passion for this hobby to gain the ability to tell the good from the garbage....

I really would to see those go away as well...but as long as people are producing cheap "alternatives" there will always be people willing to shell out the money.

I just wish Reebok would create a middle-of-the-pack jersey in terms of quality, for fans who want similar quality to an authentic, but closer to the price range of a Premier. I think most people feel the Premiers are a little bit of ripoff with nothing stitched on.

So your only other choice is to buy the expensive, but very nice authentic. With the way players move around these days, it just isn't possible for some people.

But if there was a "replithentic" that uses the Premier material, but everything is stitched on (sorta like the old CCM replicas), I think a lot of people would be happy with them. Charge $115 for the Premiers, $150-175 for the replithentic (call it Deluxe or something), and then the usual $250 for the authentic.

I am pretty sure they already do something similar with the football jerseys.

Edited by mmajeski06

But if there was a "replithentic" that uses the Premier material, but everything is stitched on (sorta like the old CCM replicas), I think a lot of people would be happy with them. Charge $115 for the Premiers, $150-175 for the replithentic (call it Deluxe or something), and then the usual $250 for the authentic.

The idea of "replithentic" sounds great. I would definitely looking into that as a consumer as the points you mentioned are valid, including the fact that the premiers don't have anything stitched on and they are slight rip-offs in price.

The old CCM replicas were the way to go, as the quality was pretty good and everything was stitched on, not that ironed on stuff.

I really would to see those go away as well...but as long as people are producing cheap "alternatives" there will always be people willing to shell out the money.

I just wish Reebok would create a middle-of-the-pack jersey in terms of quality, for fans who want similar quality to an authentic, but closer to the price range of a Premier. I think most people feel the Premiers are a little bit of ripoff with nothing stitched on.

So your only other choice is to buy the expensive, but very nice authentic. With the way players move around these days, it just isn't possible for some people.

I am pretty sure they already do something similar with the football jerseys.

Essentially to get what you are calling the replithentic, all you have to do is order a basic Premier from a place like IceJerseys. You will then get properly sewn on letters/numbers.

I don't know how well it would work, but maybe drop the Premeir to a Dye Subilmated process, and sell those for like 60 bucks to counteract the fake market, and then keep the Premier and Authentics as is, maybe a bit of a price drop and no screen printed twill.

Essentially to get what you are calling the replithentic, all you have to do is order a basic Premier from a place like IceJerseys. You will then get properly sewn on letters/numbers.

That's what I plan on doing...and that is what a lot of people end up doing as well.

What bothers me though is that the league is telling people not to waste their time buying fakes, but at the same time, people are hearing "don't buy Premiers from NHL.com, as they are ironed-on rip offs". So your Average Joe looking to buy a jersey, weighs his options and of course he goes for the $50 fake with everything stitched.

I took advantage of the free customization at NHL.com last year, the quality was embarrassing. The name plate looked like a 3rd grader cut it out, the fake stitching looked blurred...it just looked cheap. I ended up giving the thing away to a friend.

Having the shoulder patches that plastic patch crap is the deal breaker for me. There are no words to describe how crappy looking the Replicas are with the plastic shoulder patches and numbers. Looks like something you would think the counterfeiters would be making. Its an absolutely shame when counterfeiters make better quality fakes then the Official NHL store.

Man, they don't even give you a PRO jersey for buying seasons? That's pretty weak. I remember the days when the Rangers would give out 100% authentic Cosby CCM mesh jerseys for getting a season plan. In fact, that's how my uncle got his two authentics.

Man, they don't even give you a PRO jersey for buying seasons? That's pretty weak. I remember the days when the Rangers would give out 100% authentic Cosby CCM mesh jerseys for getting a season plan. In fact, that's how my uncle got his two authentics.

Meh, it would of been nice, but free is free. I got a Carter jersey out of it, and I wasn't planning on buying a Carter anytime soon so it's nice to have.

:angry: :angry: :angry:

I'm SO sick of all the fakes on e-bay I've been and will be reporting EVEY fake jersey I have the displeasure of clicking on. I have never reported anyone on E-bay before but it makes me sick to see sellers sucking bidders in for well over $100 bucks for a fake. If no one else will bother, ###### it. I will! Anyone who claims the jerseys are "Authentic" are open season! They have no recourse otherwise. :noway:

I would ask the community here to do the same once in a while. Get the E-bay people off there asses. Right or wrong they have to check out the report just like a #911 call.

Three strikes on a seller and they have to open another account. Problematic for them at best. Just report a "listing Violation" - "Misleading Title" and explain in brief the problem with the jersey. Some are FAR more obvious then others and wont take much for the Admin to remove the listing.

I know it sound like a insurmountable task. I would compare it to trying to plug up the BP oil spill in the gulf in a sense BUT I've had success with over TEN listings so far in under 2 weeks!! It don't take much, just a click or three :) I swear 5 or 10 of us could do a major dent, Imagine 50 or 100?

That's my rant. Thanks for reading. :fight: the war on fakes, or at least start one.

Yet another fake added to the variety......http://cgi.ebay.ca/Wayne-Gretzky-New-York-Rangers-1992-93-All-star-Jersey-/140423626698?cmd=ViewItem&pt=U_Hockey_Fan_Shop&hash=item20b1e67fca

:blink: