University of Kentucky Hockey Jerseys

akteon

I thought I had already posted this, but I realized it was on another board (doh!) - so, here's my collection of University of Kentucky Hockey gamers I acquired working for the team from 1994-2012 as the Media Director:

1995 - #10 Robbie "Legsweeper" Loucks road jersey

uk_1995_10_blue_f_sm.jpguk_1995_10_blue_b_sm.jpg

1996 - #10 Travis "Mach 10" Mauk home jersey

uk_1996_10_wht_f_sm.jpguk_1996_10_wht_b_sm.jpg

2001 - #10 Alex Derhohannesian road jersey

uk_2001_10_blue_f_sm.jpguk_2001_10_blue_b_sm.jpguk_2001_10_blue_patch_sm.jpguk_2001_10_blue_sponsor_sm.jpg

Edited by akteon

continued ...

2003 - #10 Johnny Rankin home jersey
uk_2003_10_wht_f_sm.jpguk_2003_10_wht_b_sm.jpguk_2003_10_wht_patch_sm.jpguk_2003_10_wht_flag_sm.jpg

2004 - #1 Matt "Media D!ck" Eichman (me) alumni-game jersey
uk_2004_alumni_wht_f_sm.jpguk_2004_alumni_wht_b_sm.jpg

2006 - #58 Bill "Luckenbill" Leckenby team issue set (never worn)
uk_2006_58_wht_f_sm.jpguk_2006_58_wht_b_sm.jpguk_2006_58_blue_f_sm.jpguk_2006_58_blue_b_sm.jpg

I joke that I've got the world's largest UK Hockey gamer jersey collection, simply because I think I'm the only person with more than one :D

• 2 months later...

How else could one go about getting UK jerseys? I'm from Kentucky, and as a huge UK and hockey fan, I'd be thrilled to own some, especially some from the 2006 set.

Edited by Pwood

How else could one go about getting UK jerseys? I'm from Kentucky, and as a huge UK and hockey fan, I'd be thrilled to own some, especially some from the 2006 set.

Older jerseys (2006 or earlier) would be next to impossible to get unless you track down a former player and convince them to sell theirs. Jerseys are normally only sold when the style changes.

The good news is (for you at least) they are switching to the RBK Edge cut gamewear jerseys this season so they should have some old jerseys available. The old style they are getting rid of is slightly different than 2006 set - I believe they got rid of the shoulder bar on away blues and switched back to the UK crest on the home whites.

Contact the team GM Ian Ward at gm@ukhockey.com about purchasing jerseys.

Older jerseys (2006 or earlier) would be next to impossible to get unless you track down a former player and convince them to sell theirs. Jerseys are normally only sold when the style changes.

The good news is (for you at least) they are switching to the RBK Edge cut gamewear jerseys this season so they should have some old jerseys available. The old style they are getting rid of is slightly different than 2006 set - I believe they got rid of the shoulder bar on away blues and switched back to the UK crest on the home whites.

Contact the team GM Ian Ward at gm@ukhockey.com about purchasing jerseys.

Thanks so much for the info!

I had no clue they were going with the Edge cuts this year. Does you know what they are going to look like? If so, I may wait on those (if they are available for purchase, that is).

Thanks so much for the info!

I had no clue they were going with the Edge cuts this year. Does you know what they are going to look like? If so, I may wait on those (if they are available for purchase, that is).

I have yet to see one, but they are just Edge Gamewear Toronto-style blanks with a UK crest on them. I'm not a fan of the Edge cut and what makes it worse is that although Toronto finally added the bottom stripe back, the Gamewear jerseys don't have it (yet?).

153-6010.jpg153-6011.jpg

As far as I know they don't have any plans to sell them. It's always been a real hassle to try to get extras to sell. Your best bet would be to get a Edge Gamewear blank in whatever size you want, and then contact Ian to see if he can send it off to the Locker Room Sports in Lexington who does the crests and customizing for the team.

I have yet to see one, but they are just Edge Gamewear Toronto-style blanks with a UK crest on them. I'm not a fan of the Edge cut and what makes it worse is that although Toronto finally added the bottom stripe back, the Gamewear jerseys don't have it (yet?).

153-6010.jpg153-6011.jpg

As far as I know they don't have any plans to sell them. It's always been a real hassle to try to get extras to sell. Your best bet would be to get a Edge Gamewear blank in whatever size you want, and then contact Ian to see if he can send it off to the Locker Room Sports in Lexington who does the crests and customizing for the team.

Wow. Thank you so much! I'm definitely going to contact them and see if they can do it. But like you said, if they change to the bottom stripe jerseys, then I'd just regret it (obviously I like those better).

I like the Edge cuts basically because they fit me a lot better. Older, boxier sytles (CCM, Reebok pre-Edge, Starter, etc.) tend to not fit me as well in the arms length-wise. I also like that the Edge jerseys are tapered a bit on the sides. While many like those styles, it really is just personal preference for the most part (outside of the new Edge designs changes, i.e. the way the jersey looks as opposed to fits).

Again, I really appreciate it. My friends would be really impressed if I rocked a UK hockey jersey. :)

As an aside, do you ever get to go to their games anymore?

Wow. Thank you so much! I'm definitely going to contact them and see if they can do it. But like you said, if they change to the bottom stripe jerseys, then I'd just regret it (obviously I like those better).

As for the stripe thing, I don't think it will change soon. I expect Reebok will eventually add the bottom stripe to the gamewear version of the Toronto jerseys, but as UK already has a full set sans stripe, they will probably try to keep using the ones without the bottom stripe so they don't have to order a whole new home and away set.

As an aside, do you ever get to go to their games anymore?

I officially "retired" from working for the team 3 seasons ago. Since then I think I've been to 4 games total. Last year my replacement mysteriously quit without telling anyone, so for now I'm back updating the website temporarily. Because of that I'll probably end up going to some more games as it'll be something I think about more often.

I definitely plan to see them play in Cincinnati and Dayton this year, but nothing beats home games at midnight in Lexington with a packed house. It's sad that many times on the road there are still more UK fans in the stands than for the home team.

• 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I've got a friend that's a UK Alum, and starting to get into hockey.. he needs one of these. Sadly, it looks like you can only buy at UK.

I've got a friend that's a UK Alum, and starting to get into hockey.. he needs one of these. Sadly, it looks like you can only buy at UK.

You can't even buy them there. We were in talks at one point to have Kennedy's Bookstore on campus carry official UK Hockey jerseys and t-shirts but that never materialized. There are some non-licensed/non-official jerseys that pop up on eBay but they are pretty bad (example1 | example2).

UK Hockey jersey have never really been available for retail. The team can order extras and have them crested and customized, we've done that for a couple dozen folks over the years. The best bet is to buy gamers from the team. Every year there's usually a handful of jerseys from previous years due to kids quitting the team or style changes etc. They normally go for less than $100. The biggest problem is as a club sport, it's not a main focus so offering them online or special orders etc. just isn't feasible.

I don't know if they have any left currently. Best bet would be to contact Ian Ward the team's general manager at gm@ukhockey.com and see what he can do. Be patient as he's a volunteer and this is a club team, not a jersey business.

I would love to get hold of one of them but the chances are very slim as i doubt i would be able to find one in Britain!

I'll e-mail the teams GM, thanks for the e-mail address akteon :)

Too bad they didn't match the blues from the jersey to the crest. Looks kind of bad imho.

A lot of that is the flash from the camera on the shiny twill of the crests. The color isn't too far off, both are royal blue (as used by Toronto).

I would love to get hold of one of them but the chances are very slim as i doubt i would be able to find one in Britain!

I'll e-mail the teams GM, thanks for the e-mail address akteon :)

You may be in luck as the GM is an Englishman himself, before he moved to Canada and then eventually the US.

• 1 year later...

Hey just stumbled upon this topic after venturing around trying to find myself a UK hockey jersey. The Facebook page is reporting that they had ordered jerseys for fans to purchase through Kennedy's, but I haven't seen anything more on it throughout the page. Do you still have any contacts there that might be able to get me some information on them? Thanks!

There's been a bit of a change with the team this season. The GM who had been with the team for the last 20 years retired. The new GM, Clint Ison, is working with Kennedy's to sell replica jerseys but I haven't heard anything concrete yet.

I can ask him the next time I talk to him if there is an update. Right now I'm working with him to migrate the team's website to a new host as I too am officially retiring from the team (for like the 3rd time lol).

Yeah I saw that on the website; definitely figured that there would be some changes. Awesome, I'd be glad to hear about it. Just out of curiosity, and I know that you aren't on any authority to speak of it, do you have a rough estimate as to what you think the jerseys would cost? I can't imagine a blank jersey that only has a UK emblem would cost too much money.

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry to not respond sooner, pretty much haven't had any communication with anyone currently associated with the team lately. Okay with me, I'm not a fan of some of the decisions they've made.

I did notice that Kennedy's now has white UK Hockey jerseys for $99.

With how things are going, I'd get one now.

Thanks for the link. I'm glad to see Kennedy's finally has them even if they are replicas. I guess it's the closest I'll ever get to a UK jersey.

I know you don't have any connection to the team anymore, but do you think Kennedy's will ever get the blue jerseys? Or is it white or nothing if I want one?

I'm just guessing, but I can't see them having both colors. I was actually surprised they had white jerseys instead of blue since they'd be more popular. The team does wear white at home (like most college teams).

The place in Lexington that crests the jerseys for the team (not sure about the ones Kennedy's is selling) is The Locker Room. You may be able to buy a blue Reebok game wear jersey (Toronto colors) and either send it to them to crest or ask them if you can just buy a loose crest. In the end it may even be cheaper than buying a white from Kennedy's and it'll be the exact same they wear on the ice.