Nike NHL and IIHF jerseys in the mid to late 90s...

started a new thread because of this one here..

http://forums.icejerseys.com/index.php?showtopic=2649&view=findpost&p=35845

Man, Id be interested to see any of the Nike prototype NHL jerseys. especially of Buffalo and Vancouver. Ive seen Tampa, and a few others..

Do you have any prototype designs/stories or anything from the 98 olympics you could share? the inspirations behind the jerseys? Italy I heard was from their cycling team... Japan is obviously those sweet jackets with the cuffs they wore( or whatever the hell theyre called, dont want to investigate the name of them right now) and the flag logo right in the middle is so simple and genius.

What about Austria? Germany? Kazakhstan? what was the process when "creating" a jersey? would you make 2 or 3 designs? was it done in collaboration with the respective federation ? how many people would create a jersey at once, or have input on the creation and design?

were you guys ordered to design prototypes right after the olympic qualifications were all taken care of? or are there a few countries that never quite made it, that you guys had designs prepared for?

The pre 98 Nike international jerseys were pretty simple. In 96/97 it seemed it was more just the countries colors, with the name of the country diagonally across the chest.And all of the lower divisions anyways, were silk screened logos. In 98 it seems Nike made sewn on logos, or atleast silk screened logos on sewn on patches. Any particular reason why?

Do you, or are you still in contact with anyone who worked with you at Nike backin the day? I remmeber when we talked before, you had mentioned there was a room that had a home and away version of every nike hockey jersey produced. HOW can we get a picture of this room? and if it doesnt exist, did they throw the jerseys out? Ive heard many many stories from other former nike hockey employees saying that Nike THREW OUT many of their extra jerseys!

this interests me and would really help me out in my quest to get ALL NIKE IIHF jerseys from 96-01 from all nations...

Here is link to proto's I've found..

TB Nike sample

SJ Nike sample (not zipper at neck - weird..)

2 Nords 1990 prototypes

Buffalo "New York", which was used in 911 fund game..

LA Starter mesh sample 'Blake'

LA Gretzky gold/royal blue...not really a proto, but what if they hadn't gone black/silver...

....note still looking for my Dallas Alt with different 'cut'....

Enjoy, what might have been... :D here...protos...

Holy cripes Anthony, I think you set forum record for question marks.

You sound like Chris Farley interviewing Paul McCartney.

'Member that one time you worked for Nike? That was awesome.

member-that-one-time.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol:

If you get him drunk enough, maybe he'll tell you about Germany and Russia. ;)

If he won't, I will.

http://thirdstringgoalie.blogspot.com/2010/02/1999-germany-national-team-michael.html

Holy cripes Anthony, I think you set forum record for question marks.

You sound like Chris Farley interviewing Paul McCartney.

'Member that one time you worked for Nike? That was awesome.

If you get him drunk enough, maybe he'll tell you about Germany and Russia. ;)

If he won't, I will.

http://thirdstringgoalie.blogspot.com/2010/02/1999-germany-national-team-michael.html

"Remember when you where with the Beatles? That was awesome!

Great Segway BTW

I'll try and get to all the questions brought up, if not in this post then others as I'm sure there will be other questions LOL.

I have an email out to my friend and former product manager throughout all those years, to see if he as any jerseys leftover

and to clarify the Rangers and other protos. My initial gut feeling is that the Nike Canada office probably made those up

on their own to be prepared if they needed to go out and get approval. Even though the jerseys were not changing other than the swoosh

at the hem, it still needs official sign off from team officials and league office.

That Sharks jersey brings back some memories. We made up quite a few variations of the home and away. With zippers, yes zippers. They were the rubber coated,

locking zippers but the league deemed them a safety issue, so were scrapped. It was an idea to update the old lace up with a modern twist. If you notice the

extra white piping on the jersey, this was dropped at the last minute as a design decision for just being unneccesary and cluttering up the jerseys. CCM had actually already made retail versions with the piping, since we had submitted the design with piping as a final design that was sent out out by the league.

I've seen them for sale on eBay once in a while. Also, that proto doesn't have the dazzle fabric for the black and silver and the name is not radially arched.

That's easily one of our first round of protos.

I have a photo I'll dig out of one of Ducks protos with the zipper and reflective piping. We had sampled a version using 3M reflective material for the numbers.

The only protos I have are an early sample of a lighter weight jersey, different cut and actually looks more like a roller hockey jersey.

I also have a second round of 1998 Russia jersey where the cyrilic "RUSSIA" is above the eagle and not split, like the retail version.

I still have all of my sketches and inspiration boards from the project, JeffB has seen them. It's quite a bit to scan or photograph but I will try and

get some things posted over time. I will write more later.

Ooh! I want leftover jerseys!

I can try to send an e-mail to the guy I met who had the Nike Rangers prototype. Even if he won't sell, maybe he could take pictures of it.

hannuvirta, did you get my PM about whether or not you know the guy?

I can try to send an e-mail to the guy I met who had the Nike Rangers prototype. Even if he won't sell, maybe he could take pictures of it.

hannuvirta, did you get my PM about whether or not you know the guy?

I did and his name sounds vaguely familiar but in my four years there, we had a core group

that I always dealt with and he was not one of them. I'm waiting for my friend to write back

but I think he probably worked for Nike Canada/Bauer up in Toronto.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Wow! This thread was fascinating. I'm a newbie collector, and found this forum about a month ago. So...what's the end of the 'story'? Were the prototypes ever found? Were there pictures posted? Super curious now!

P.S. If any of you still has contacts at Nike, I would appreciate it! I've been slowly learning and talking to people (thx to all those on the forum!) just to get my first few jerseys customized (They are all Nike jerseys as it turns out). A BIG problem I have been having is getting Nike Swift authentic and replica material for the namebars. I even called up Nike Canada, and USA for help...but they are still looking. Seems like there are suppliers everywhere except Ontario (QC, BC, IL, MN).

Who in Minnesota customizes jerseys for Nike? This I have to hear.