Washing Your Jerseys

mmajeski06

I'm not much of a collector, so I wear all of my jerseys. However, after a few months of sweating it out during a few games, as well as being worn to class, they tend to not smell very good and White has turned a dull gray.

What is the safest and best way to wash a jersey?

When I wash my jerseys, I usually turn them inside out and then hand wash them in cold water then hang or lay flat to dry.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

Let me spell one thing out that has been implied so far,

DO NOT PUT A JERSEY IN THE DRYER - EVER.

They come out of the spin cycle dry enough and air drying them will prevent any shrinking of crest materials.

and no one wants shrinkage

BOING! :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...

Avoid oxy-clean, as it can cause color bleeding, especially on crests and patches. Only use a mild detergent, no softner, no bleach, and cold water wash.

Is that right? I've actually used OxyClean several times without a problem.

same here, never a problem

I have a CCM Hurricanes jersey that the red on the crests bled after using it. But it didn't affect a ProPlayer CBJ jersey washed with it. So YMMV. You could wash 100 jerseys with that stuff, but if 99 were OK, and 1 was ruined, would it be worth it to use it?

Anytime i've had a 'spot' on mine, I've handwashed that area with Shout...then a cold water wash in the machine, hang dry w/o any issues and they come clean with a fresh scent....this is great a bunch of guys(and of course a few of the ladies) discussing laundry.. :P

Ahhh okay. I've only ever used the liquid so maybe that's the thing. I will definitely keep it in mind though. I really only tend to use it on jerseys that I have stripped so as to try and kill whatever discolorations there are.

Why take a risk if you don't have to. That's why I pointed this out. It happened to me, and it could happen to others. Just food for thought.

I wear most of my jerseys to hockey trainings and I wash them after one use with my regular laundry, regular cold wash, I usually turn them inside out. I hang dry them, they dry pretty quickly so there's no point in drying them any other way. I've never had problems with the way I wash jerseys, but mind you 80% of them are blank on the back. I think numbering could get a bit crinkled if they were washed too often.

I just do what I do with the rest of my clothes: spray 'em down with Fabreze! Works great as a shower alternative as well =)

I keed, I keed.....

I've taken mine to the dry cleaners, but be sure to ask if they're experienced with cleaning jerseys. The cleaner I go to knew what to use, and more importantly what not to use to clean them. They don't charge too much, and usually give you a discount if you bring a few jerseys in to clean.

Let me spell one thing out that has been implied so far,

DO NOT PUT A JERSEY IN THE DRYER - EVER.

They come out of the spin cycle dry enough and air drying them will prevent any shrinking of crest materials.

The old Starter replicas were bad for this. The crest would stay the same, but the jersey itself would shrink. At least that is how it was with some of the ones I owned.

I do what most people do on here: wash in washing machine with cold water and hang to dry. This usually works the best for me since I only wash my jerseys every ONCE in a while, as in maybe twice a year, if that. It's also not a bad idea to take them to the dry cleaners if you are concerned about the washer.

hey also another tip is not only to wash inside out but also put it in a mesh washing bag just for the little bit of extra safety from snags. i always do that with all my sports jerseys.

• 4 weeks later...