Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Finny

Jersey Prices Between Countries

11 posts in this topic

Sorry IceJerseys this might hurt a little. One thing that really bothers me is that in general we are not seeing price reductions for a lot of goods now that the Canadian dollar is approaching even with the US dollar. For example, on our beloved IceJerseys website, an Authentic will cost you $197 USD, but $250 CDN. Does this not seem out of whack to anyone?

Of course I understand customs and duties for products that come up north, but why it's just not fair. :P

Sorry IceJerseys this might hurt a little. One thing that really bothers me is that in general we are not seeing price reductions for a lot of goods now that the Canadian dollar is approaching even with the US dollar. For example, on our beloved IceJerseys website, an Authentic will cost you $197 USD, but $250 CDN. Does this not seem out of whack to anyone?

Of course I understand customs and duties for products that come up north, but why it's just not fair. :P

Hmm. That's interesting. Hopefully one of the guys will address that. I never noticed it, being in the US.

It's okay - we're a hockey company - we can take a hit LOL! That's actually part of the purpose of this BB, to open up a dialogue with our customers - even though it might mean hearing some negatives here and there (along with hopefully many positives ;) ).

To answer your question, as a company headquartered in Montreal, most of our goods are sold to us from Canadian manufacturers in Canadian dollars (in fact RBK/CCM headquarters is only a few blocks away from us). The prices that we list in CAD, are the actual prices you will find to be competitive with most Canadian retailers. So, it isn't like we are buying from the US, and our costs have decresed as a result of the weaker US dollar. In fact, we are being hurt by the weaker US dollar, because we sell primarily to US customers - so when converting that US sale to Canadian dollars, it is worth less than it used to be. As far as the discrepancy in price conversion, it is a case where we have had no choice but to take a hit on our US selling price in order be able to price our goods competitively with other US based retailers that they tend to price cut on certain items (the Authentic is a prime example, as it should really be retailing in the neighborhood of $229 USD).

You will find that most items that we sell are not priced so differently when switching from USD to CAD, however there are indeed certain items that just end up being cheaper to US customers than Canadian customers due to the nature of the US marketplace for those items. So, if you feel an item is priced substantially higher in one currency or the other, my suggestion is to buy in whatever currency is advantageous to you (taking into account the credit card company's inflated exchange rate). In the case of the Authentic, you most likely still stand to benefit buying it in USD with the current exchange rate and your added CC fee. We do have a number of Canadian customers who already recognize this, and do it on their own. For most items though, you will still be better off buying in CAD as a Canadian.

I hope this clarifies the issue.

Yeah I definitely am not taking a shot at IceJerseys. I know the competition and you are pretty much on par except for a few barn burners nhl.com has now and then.

Kinda wish I was a US citizen right now, hockey tickets tend to be dirt cheap, cheaper jerseys now, I can't even barely find tickets or a jersey for my Flames. Sad.

Molson Entertainment is filthy rich. They raise the ticket prices so high - it's mind boggling!

Yeah I definitely am not taking a shot at IceJerseys. I know the competition and you are pretty much on par except for a few barn burners nhl.com has now and then.

Kinda wish I was a US citizen right now, hockey tickets tend to be dirt cheap, cheaper jerseys now, I can't even barely find tickets or a jersey for my Flames. Sad.

I've been able to find a few websites with lower prices than ice jerseys, but they simply don't make me feel nearly as confident in what I'm going to get. The way ice jerseys shows pictures of almost every step of the customization process for the authentics and outlines all of the features of the authentic jerseys is superb. The customer service is always helpful and every time I've thought of buying a new jersey in the last few years I've looked around for the best prices, and than decided that the marginal difference in price (20-30 dollars) wouldn't be worth my piece of mind, knowing that ice jerseys handled my order, given the quality of the website and the testimonials they provide. I still have yet to order any jerseys recently because I just can't afford it, but I know I wouldn't order any where else at this point - and I'm not just saying that because these are the ice jersey boards - I found these boards because I browse ice jerseys whenever I even consider a new jersey now.

I've been able to find a few websites with lower prices than ice jerseys, but they simply don't make me feel nearly as confident in what I'm going to get. The way ice jerseys shows pictures of almost every step of the customization process for the authentics and outlines all of the features of the authentic jerseys is superb. The customer service is always helpful and every time I've thought of buying a new jersey in the last few years I've looked around for the best prices, and than decided that the marginal difference in price (20-30 dollars) wouldn't be worth my piece of mind, knowing that ice jerseys handled my order, given the quality of the website and the testimonials they provide. I still have yet to order any jerseys recently because I just can't afford it, but I know I wouldn't order any where else at this point - and I'm not just saying that because these are the ice jersey boards - I found these boards because I browse ice jerseys whenever I even consider a new jersey now.

As long as the internet exists, there will always be a lower price somewhere. We really cannot possibly keep up with every Tom, and Harry that sells jerseys on the web through eBay or a basic, non-functional, non-informative, questionable website - nor do we feel we should. What we do try to do, is make sure we are priced competitively with the sites that are well known, and cater specifically to hockey fans, of which there are really only one or two other true hockey jersey & apparel specialty websites out there (and I'm sure you guys all know who they are). Sure there are also some major sports retailers out there who do sell some hockey, but come on, if they are selling NFL, MLB, Nascar, NBA NCAA.....nevermind the thousands of skus in hard goods, where do you think their priorities lie? Where do you think their knowledge and expertise is? Who do you think is going to understand hockey fans, hockey trends, and anticipate what needs to be available to purchase? Who will recognize whether the customer spelled NIITTYMAKI or LUNDQVIST correctly on their custom jersey order? The point is, IceJerseys is a site for and about hockey fans, run by a bunch of guys who grew up watching the Canadiens winning cups in the 70's. Many of us play hockey still, and know the thrill of steel on ice, and nailing a one-timer into the top corner (some of us more than others ;) ).

However, if a potential customer feels that it's ONLY about the price, well we might lose out here and there to some of the above mentioned sites, and we can respect that a customer has the right to choose what he feels is the best value. However, we often hear from customers who shopped elsewhere only to come back to us when they had a bad experience with another retailer not meeting their expectation. No company is perfect and free from error, and we recognize that on occasion something can go wrong (often due to circumstances beyond our control). What is important is how we respond to the customer in those situations, and how we are accountable to the trust that a customer places in us when they make an online order without having actually met or spoken to a real person. I think that we are doing a pretty good good job in that respect, which will hopefully be reinforced by more positive comments (like those of Mach_9 above) than critical ones. If there is criticism, we encourage that it be voiced here too, so we can be held accountable, and respond accordingly.

As long as the internet exists, there will always be a lower price somewhere. We really cannot possibly keep up with every Tom, ###### and Harry that sells jerseys on the web through eBay or a basic, non-functional, non-informative, questionable website - nor do we feel we should. What we do try to do, is make sure we are priced competitively with the sites that are well known, and cater specifically to hockey fans, of which there are really only one or two other true hockey jersey & apparel specialty websites out there (and I'm sure you guys all know who they are). Sure there are also some major sports retailers out there who do sell some hockey, but come on, if they are selling NFL, MLB, Nascar, NBA NCAA.....nevermind the thousands of skus in hard goods, where do you think their priorities lie? Where do you think their knowledge and expertise is? Who do you think is going to understand hockey fans, hockey trends, and anticipate what needs to be available to purchase? Who will recognize whether the customer spelled NIITTYMAKI or LUNDQVIST correctly on their custom jersey order? The point is, IceJerseys is a site for and about hockey fans, run by a bunch of guys who grew up watching the Canadiens winning cups in the 70's. Many of us play hockey still, and know the thrill of steel on ice, and nailing a one-timer into the top corner (some of us more than others ;) ).

However, if a potential customer feels that it's ONLY about the price, well we might lose out here and there to some of the above mentioned sites, and we can respect that a customer has the right to choose what he feels is the best value. However, we often hear from customers who shopped elsewhere only to come back to us when they had a bad experience with another retailer not meeting their expectation. No company is perfect and free from error, and we recognize that on occasion something can go wrong (often due to circumstances beyond our control). What is important is how we respond to the customer in those situations, and how we are accountable to the trust that a customer places in us when they make an online order without having actually met or spoken to a real person. I think that we are doing a pretty good good job in that respect, which will hopefully be reinforced by more positive comments (like those of Mach_9 above) than critical ones. If there is criticism, we encourage that it be voiced here too, so we can be held accountable, and respond accordingly.

Great response - what fans who are going to spend money on quality jerseys want to hear. You said it best up there - there are many questionable looking sites that I've seen, and sure, they have better prices, but they don't offer any information about their processes, don't have live customer support, don't allow you to preview your jersey and don't even have an altogether professional looking website. From the moment you enter ice jerseys, however, you know you are at the home of a retailer who you can feel confident in. The site is very clear, organized and professional looking. The features, like allowing you to preview your jersey, front and back, and detailing the customization process, not only in writing but with accompanying pictures is something that no other site provides and something that puts my mind at ease whenever I even think about dropping $270 on a new jersey. That's why I'm constantly browsing the site, drooling over all of the sweaters I hope to someday own :P

Amen brother. Does Icejerseys price match other legitmate companies sales such as nhl.com or river city? Example being you can get an authentic with river city, customized for $294 cdn right now. Opening season sale I guess.

Wow, after reading this board, I started to do some research on the different prices. It is true that most places sell authentics for about $179-199, but its the customizing that gets you. Some places charge $59-79 for applying names by iron on, which I'm pretty sure they taught the guy to do in a 20 minute training class. The jersey suffers, and when you stand next to a jersey that has been sewn by hand, your reputation suffers. I figure if a country has been producing jerseys for a sport they have dominated for over a hundred years now, why not take the small financial hit to make sure its done right. Plus, on a spelling side note, I had a friend order a Toews jersey last year from a rival and the person wrote it like it sounds. When he received it, he was shocked to see they had spelled it Toevs.

Wow, after reading this board, I started to do some research on the different prices. It is true that most places sell authentics for about $179-199, but its the customizing that gets you. Some places charge $59-79 for applying names by iron on, which I'm pretty sure they taught the guy to do in a 20 minute training class. The jersey suffers, and when you stand next to a jersey that has been sewn by hand, your reputation suffers. I figure if a country has been producing jerseys for a sport they have dominated for over a hundred years now, why not take the small financial hit to make sure its done right. Plus, on a spelling side note, I had a friend order a Toews jersey last year from a rival and the person wrote it like it sounds. When he received it, he was shocked to see they had spelled it Toevs.

Over the last few years I have definitely come to the opinion that if you are going to customize a jersey, for the few dollars difference between IJ and other sites, go here for the best job possible. Its worth the little bit extra (often times its less!).