Thieves rob Pat Burns' widow

Scumbags of the Week: Thieves rob Pat Burns' widow

OK, seriously? There is plenty of horrible things going on in the world for one to start questioning humanity, but this week we don't have to look too far afield. Case in point, the heartless morons who decided to ransack the car of legendary NHL coach Pat Burns' widow, mere hours after his funeral yesterday.

What did they take? Thirty jerseys signed by star players from each NHL team, two suitcases containing clothes, a Movado men's watch, family photos, bedsheets from the palliative-care unit (BEDSHEETS?!), an iPad, and some jewelry.

Speechless. I am without speech.

Story

and more...

THE CANADIAN PRESS

MONTREAL -- Pat Burns had barely been laid to rest when thieves smashed into his car and stole some of his family's most cherished possessions.

The hockey coach's widow discovered items including signed hockey jerseys from every NHL team, family photos, and a designer men's watch were missing from the ransacked car.

Even bedsheets from the hospital's palliative-care unit were missing in the theft, committed just hours after Burns' funeral. He died Nov. 19 after a long battle with cancer.

Police say the thieves knew exactly whose belongings they were stealing.

"They went through his stuff," said Const. Anie Lemieux of the Montreal police, noting Burns' wallet was in the car.

"The person who left with the shirts and everything knows that this is Pat Burns' stuff."

Burns' cousin Robin, who delivered a eulogy at Monday's funeral, called the crime "deplorable."

Robin Burns said his cousin's wife had already had a tough day "then to have personal effects taken out of your car when you're at the post-funeral reception is absolutely deplorable."

"Whoever it is, they must have no conscience," Burns said.

He pleaded with the thief, if they have "any type of conscience," to drop the items off with a TV or radio station or with anyone who knows Burns -- and no questions will be asked.

"I'd only say to anyone listening, if you think you can sell them or do anything about them, then I think the police and the policemens' brotherhood and friends of Pat might have different ideas."

Burns, an award-winning coach of the Montreal Canadiens, Toronto Maple Leafs, Boston Bruins and New Jersey Devils, died after a lengthy battle with cancer.

At his funeral, people remembered the gruff ex-cop as a tough but fair man who cared about his players and knew how to motivate them.

Police have launch a public appeal to the thieves, asking them to leave the stolen items in an agreed-upon spot where they could be recovered.

"Anyone with information or that might be approached by someone wanting to sell these items, it's impossible not to know that these belong to Mr. Pat Burns," Lemieux said, noting she believed some of the items were destined for charity auction.

The crime was committed at an outdoor parking lot between midnight and 9 a.m. Tuesday. The Burns clan and numerous family friends had attended a wake in a downtown bar Monday night, after the funeral.

The stolen items include:

--Thirty jerseys signed by star players from each NHL team.

--Two suitcases containing Burns' clothes, and those of his wife.

--A Movado men's watch.

--Many family photos.

--Bedsheets from the palliative-care unit.

--An iPad.

--Women's jewelry.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2010/11/30/burns_family_robbed/

Do they know he's an EX-COP from that town?!? a duh!

You know I'm willing to get arrested after they are cault just to get locked up with them and put on the same range just so I could stab them.

Several times.

Chopper Style.

It would make me feel alot better about the whole situation.

The crime was committed at an outdoor parking lot between midnight and 9 a.m. Tuesday.

people will smash into a car for anything nowadays, ipod, GPS, a briefcase....

and I know this is terrible, pathetic to even think about robbing someone while they are

at a funeral, but.... who the hell leave's 30 SIGNED NHL JERSEYS in your car overnight??????

people will smash into a car for anything nowadays, ipod, GPS, a briefcase....

and I know this is terrible, pathetic to even think about robbing someone while they are

at a funeral, but.... who the hell leave's 30 SIGNED NHL JERSEYS in your car overnight??????

Where do you put them when you receive them at the funeral? I mean, you go from the funeral right to the after party and celebrate the life, you don't worry about dropping off your things at the hotel first.

Where do you put them when you receive them at the funeral? I mean, you go from the funeral right to the after party and celebrate the life, you don't worry about dropping off your things at the hotel first.

Try the trunk perhaps? and not the back seat where they can smash the window.....

Try the trunk perhaps? and not the back seat where they can smash the window.....

For the record, it was an SUV - so there was no trunk.

jason-burns-car-cp-0112.jpg

photo of Jason Burns taping the whole where the window was broken from CBC news

This happened in my city, and I consider it a black eye on Montreal until the thief is nabbed. Just a completely heartless act. I really hope that whoever did this develops a conscience ASAP.