Flyers orange jersey customization problem

carsoni4

I ordered an authentic Edge Flyers orange jersey customized as GIROUX the other week (not from IceJerseys), and it finally came in yesterday. Upon looking at the nameplate, I was quite disappointed. See the picture below:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/KFz9NEsSlEg6CA4fFnXusz-Iucc8puINOfrZfel18As?feat=directlink

Now compare it to some shots of the jersey Giroux actually wears during a game:

http://nimg.sulekha.com/sports/original700/claude-giroux-tuukka-rask-2009-10-22-22-12-36.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2724/4176260622_d27919f09a.jpg

Looking at the font, there are clear differences -- the font on my jersey is far too thick, and looking at the "G" on both jerseys, it's clear that mine is not a match. It's also sewn to a nameplate made of air-knit material rather than twill, which the Flyers use on orange jerseys, according to Meigray.

But anyway, after many calls back and forth with the retailer from whom I purchased this jersey, he said they received the wrong template from the Flyers. So they will sew me a new nameplate, but will have to eye-ball it.

This is where I need some help! They need a very clear picture of the Giroux nameplate. I have found a few decent ones, but I was thinking someone might have a high-quality snap (possibly from Meigray or somewhere similar) of a Giroux orange (possibly game-worn) jersey.

I realize this is a very far-out request, but any help would be so very greatly appreciated! Thanks very kindly in advance!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ordered an authentic Edge Flyers orange jersey customized as GIROUX the other week (not from IceJerseys), and it finally came in yesterday. Upon looking at the nameplate, I was quite disappointed. See the picture below:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/KFz9NEsSlEg6CA4fFnXusz-Iucc8puINOfrZfel18As?feat=directlink

Now compare it to some shots of the jersey Giroux actually wears during a game:

http://nimg.sulekha.com/sports/original700/claude-giroux-tuukka-rask-2009-10-22-22-12-36.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2724/4176260622_d27919f09a.jpg

Looking at the font, there are clear differences -- the font on my jersey is far too thick, and looking at the "G" on both jerseys, it's clear that mine is not a match. It's also sewn to a nameplate made of air-knit material rather than twill, which the Flyers use on orange jerseys, according to Meigray.

But anyway, after many calls back and forth with the retailer from whom I purchased this jersey, he said they received the wrong template from the Flyers. So they will sew me a new nameplate, but will have to eye-ball it.

This is where I need some help! They need a very clear picture of the Giroux nameplate. I have found a few decent ones, but I was thinking someone might have a high-quality snap (possibly from Meigray or somewhere similar) of a Giroux orange (possibly game-worn) jersey.

I realize this is a very far-out request, but any help would be so very greatly appreciated! Thanks very kindly in advance!

I had the same problem with my Giroux jersey. Too thick of font and the wrong material.

I used these pictures to show what they needed to fix

http://www.gettyimages.ca/detail/101623032/National-Hockey-League

http://www.gettyimages.ca/detail/102073811/National-Hockey-League

Btw who did the customization on yours?

Yours definitely came out better than mine. This was the way mine came back to me at first

IMG_0158.jpg

that one is a hackjob, sorry

Oh yeah i know, wrong material wrong font. Sent it back to IJ to get re customized, they didnt use the right material for the nameplate when they re customized it. So i sent it back to them and they gave me a full refund. IJ definitely does have the best customer service I have ever dealt with though

What do they wear different fonts on home and road jerseys? Because that looks like the same font that they use on their road jerseys...at least in the Finals last year.

Ya it's definitely the font from the white jerseys the Flyers used in the Finals last year. But they've never used this font with the orange jerseys!

This whole ordeal is such a hassle, but at least they're willing to fix it. I just hope when I get it back, the "eye-balled" font on the new nameplate doesn't look like s***. Or that the jersey is all messed up from having to strip the original nameplate off!

Here's hoping...

Well, that's easily fixable so don't worry too much about it. You'll also need is a twill nameplate instead of the EDGE material but again that's very easy. IceJerseys can absolutely take care of it for you.

You could strip the nameplate and take it or send it to the Flyers Skate Zone Pro Shop to have a correct nameplate put on. They send their jerseys to Philly Express who do the on ice stuff for the Flyers. That would require you to dump more $ into the jersey though. Are your sleeve numbers correct? Do you have a shot of them?

Why is it so hard to show our fanship of Claude Giroux? We all need a support group hahahaha.

You could strip the nameplate and take it or send it to the Flyers Skate Zone Pro Shop to have a correct nameplate put on. They send their jerseys to Philly Express who do the on ice stuff for the Flyers. That would require you to dump more $ into the jersey though. Are your sleeve numbers correct? Do you have a shot of them?

I took a picture of the sleeve numbers:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/YkTcppwLohKzuZpqny7Qtj-Iucc8puINOfrZfel18As?feat=directlink

I think they look pretty good -- but you're the expert, what are your thoughts?

It's just that ###### nameplate!

You're going to hate me, but they're wrong. That's the old sleeve font, the Flyers changed it up for the new set and copied the back numbers. The old ones used a more compressed version, and the easiest tell are the holes in the 8. If they're square, they're the old ones. If they're rectangular, they're the new ones. You want rectangles.

Good lord, you're right! Man, you weren't kidding -- the jersey gods sure are giving us Giroux fans a hard time!

I can't believe I paid so much for "authentic on-ice customization" from a certain "cool" hockey jersey retailer, only to get anything but the real deal! I can probably live with these old-style sleeve numbers, but this nameplate is definitely going back for repair. When exactly did they switch the style of these sleeve numbers?

Edited by carsoni4

Good lord, you're right! Man, you weren't kidding -- the jersey gods sure are giving us Giroux fans a hard time!

I can't believe I paid so much for "authentic on-ice customization" from a certain "cool" hockey jersey retailer, only to get anything but the real deal! I can probably live with these old-style sleeve numbers, but this nameplate is definitely going back for repair. When exactly did they switch the style of these sleeve numbers?

They switched 'em for the new unis. The black/white set had yours, the orange/WC roads use the new ones.

Here's a Richards comparison to illustrate:

HPIM1834.jpg

I also lectured heavily on it in my Giroux thread, which I'll find and link here.

Yes sir. Johnny is right. The new numbers first appeared on what was then the orange retro alternate in 2008-09. They definately used the old numbers on your sleeve. As you stated, it will be fine. However the retailers that state they can do "pro-customization" need to step up and get it right the first time when people are shelling out $250 plus for an authentic jersey. It is costly to ship back and forth not to mention frustrating. That being said it is still a nice jersey the way it is...Just don't sit next to Johnny at the game...especially in your new GIROUX jersey :lol:

Yes sir. Johnny is right. The new numbers first appeared on what was then the orange retro alternate in 2008-09. They definately used the old numbers on your sleeve. As you stated, it will be fine. However the retailers that state they can do "pro-customization" need to step up and get it right the first time when people are shelling out $250 plus for an authentic jersey. It is costly to ship back and forth not to mention frustrating. That being said it is still a nice jersey the way it is...Just don't sit next to Johnny at the game...especially in your new GIROUX jersey :lol:

Seconded. If you sit next to me and I'm wearing my Giroux, you might get eaten by a bear or something with my luck.

OP, sorry to hear about your troubles.

I have a couple questions for you Flyers gurus.

I recently sent a blank WC up to Don at MLL for Giroux customization. By reading this thread...it looks like the numbers they used on that jersey should have the rectangle holes in the 8s? Also, from pictures of the game, it looks like the WCs used the block lettering that OP has on his, just on a black plate.

Please confirm and thanks fellow phanners.

OP, sorry to hear about your troubles.

I have a couple questions for you Flyers gurus.

I recently sent a blank WC up to Don at MLL for Giroux customization. By reading this thread...it looks like the numbers they used on that jersey should have the rectangle holes in the 8s? Also, from pictures of the game, it looks like the WCs used the block lettering that OP has on his, just on a black plate.

Please confirm and thanks fellow phanners.

I don't know who Don is at MLL but the 2's and 8's are different on the sleeves. The 8's will have a more rectangular holes than the old font. The 2's will look more like the large 2 on the rear of the jersey. The numbers on the sleeves were increased to 4" 1/2 inches as well. The black outline on the rear numbers was increased to a 1/2 inch. The font for the nameplate is the new font introduced in 2008-09 on the orange retro jerseys with 3" white letters on a black nameplate. Winter classic nameplates were made of black ultrafil material.

Why is it so hard to show our fanship of Claude Giroux? We all need a support group hahahaha.

Don't worry guys, even the Flyers have trouble getting their jerseys done correctly!

I don't know who numbered these jerseys but I'll bet the players wanted to send them back to get fixed too!

I was shooting the warm-ups when they first started wearing the "new" orange reeboks at the time. I'd be mortified!

http://sports.webshots.com/album/579270378dKVfIj

When did you take those? That font looks like the one they wore for a few games back in 2008-09 that was made to replicate the ones they wore waaaaay back in the 1970's with those same style jerseys. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, that font appeared when the Flyers first wore that jersey, right? Come on jer--I mean, Flyers fans...help me out here!

When did you take those? That font looks like the one they wore for a few games back in 2008-09 that was made to replicate the ones they wore waaaaay back in the 1970's with those same style jerseys. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, that font appeared when the Flyers first wore that jersey, right? Come on jer--I mean, Flyers fans...help me out here!

They wore them in 2008, Luca Sbisa was our "Bob" back then. I dont think I ever remember a Bernie Parent jersey with a screwed up #1 like that. Maybe on some Mitchell and Ness jerseys but I always thought they looked wrong too. Webshots lists all the photo settings and date taken thankfully, December 2nd 2008.

I remember that game, I think the league complained that they were too hard to replicate, which was their original problem when they first came out. They only lasted 2-3 games I think, I remember the 1 looking like a butter knife. I thought they were kind of cool to be honest.

They wore that font for two games. To honor the 73-74 team. The Flyers then switched to the new font after that second game. It was how it happened in 73-74 as well. They played a number of games in this font and then a switch... mainly the only change then was the tall peaked #1 to the one they wear today and #2 going from squared off to an angular shape. Not sure why but some stories say that they changed jersey manufacturers half way through the season and the new manufacturer could not duplicate that old number font. A set of these jerseys from 2008-09 with the retro font went to auction and bought in big bucks. They are highly collectible and if you ask me, the coolest. They should have kept that font. The nameplates were the same as they are now. But the "A" and "C" were totally different on that set of jerseys also duplicating the ones worn in 73-74.

They wore that font for two games. To honor the 73-74 team. The Flyers then switched to the new font after that second game. It was how it happened in 73-74 as well. They played a number of games in this font and then a switch... mainly the only change then was the tall peaked #1 to the one they wear today and #2 going from squared off to an angular shape. Not sure why but some stories say that they changed jersey manufacturers half way through the season and the new manufacturer could not duplicate that old number font. A set of these jerseys from 2008-09 with the retro font went to auction and bought in big bucks. They are highly collectible and if you ask me, the coolest. They should have kept that font. The nameplates were the same as they are now. But the "A" and "C" were totally different on that set of jerseys also duplicating the ones worn in 73-74.

So it was an homage? That's cool, I didn't know that. I would love to own one, I specifically remember the Gagne being awesome looking. I wonder if anyone has the kits...hmmm.....