DEALS AND STEALS

sungod661

I haven't studied the Thrashers' font letter for letter, but I believe there are some slight differences between EPS's version and the original team jersey font done by AIS/Sportsrobe. For the 6100 years, I can only suggest that you ask for layered (stacked) letters and numbers. They switched to reverse kiss-cut lettering starting in 2009/10.

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just had this to finish up the discussion on the Liberty:

The 1997/98 letter font has a unique "thin" look to it- the red and white layers are very skinny and it gives the letters a paler look to them. It's the only season in which the letters looked that way. I don't have comparison photos for Richter's name, but I do for Gretzky:

1996/97:

http://s1111.photobucket.com/user/dhshimizu/media/image_zpsdoi3hnk6.jpg.html]image_zpsdoi3hnk6.jpg

The style of the "G" is different, as well as the diagonal cuts in the "Z" between the 2 years. However, I don't think there were any really significant differences in the letters in Richter's name between the 2 years, except for the obvious difference in the letter thickness.

I took that pic. Still debating making a "Gretkzy" one day. When my girlfriend saw that jersey, even she stopped and said "was it their first day on the job?" Edited by thebiggoalie

Tom, I remember you posting that pic (I saved it because it had the best view of the "Gretkzy" letters that I had ever seen), but I didn't remember that you had actually taken it. Sorry for not giving proper credit on that one!

Alrighty, I have decided to try out EPS and take advantage of their discount before it disappears. I picked three jerseys, my Starter mesh Rangers Liberty jersey (to be Richter), my Rangers Winter Classic (Lundqvist) and my Caps Winter Classic (Ovechkin). What advice can you guys give me as to what I should put in the instructions? I want the jerseys to look good, obviously, but they don't need to be 100% on ice accurate. If I don't add any instructions other than name and number will EPS do a close enough to on ice authentic job?

In my experience, if you don't provide instructions, you will get what EPS considers the on-ice specs based on what's on record for the team. Some have said they don't do Rangers jerseys accurately. I've never done a Rangers with them but on everything else they've been pretty spot on.

In my experience, if you don't provide instructions, you will get what EPS considers the on-ice specs based on what's on record for the team.

Yup- with EPS, they tend to letter all jerseys of the same style the same way, regardless of the year you specify. For the average (read "sane") person that's perfectly fine, but not with most of us here. For many jersey styles that were used for long periods of time like the Rangers Liberty, there were slight variations in the fonts from year to year, but EPS doesn't generally take those into account unless you specifically point out (pictures help) those details that you want (or don't want). Josh is pretty good at paying attention to this stuff. But if you don't say anything you just get the standard job, which is why you'll get Koho-era numbers on a Starter Liberty.

Tom, I remember you posting that pic (I saved it because it had the best view of the "Gretkzy" letters that I had ever seen), but I didn't remember that you had actually taken it. Sorry for not giving proper credit on that one!

No problem. I took several. What a lot of people don't realize is that the letters were actually cut properly. Look at the angle on the K and the Z.

Edited by thebiggoalie

The letters were cut properly; whoever applied the letters put them on out of order so that the curvature looks irregular. If the K and Z had been stitched on in the correct order it would have looked perfectly fine.

That picture makes me laugh every time. Someone fudged up the name on the jersey of the most famous player in hockey history. Classic.

If that person did not lose their job, you know their co-workers never let him/her forget it. I would personally misspell that person's name forever. Memos, notes, even their birthday card.

I haven't studied the Thrashers' font letter for letter, but I believe there are some slight differences between EPS's version and the original team jersey font done by AIS/Sportsrobe. For the 6100 years, I can only suggest that you ask for layered (stacked) letters and numbers. They switched to reverse kiss-cut lettering starting in 2009/10.

Thanks for the tip on layered letters. I also found a photo of a game worn Lehtonen that I'll send along with it.

In my experience, if you don't provide instructions, you will get what EPS considers the on-ice specs based on what's on record for the team. Some have said they don't do Rangers jerseys accurately. I've never done a Rangers with them but on everything else they've been pretty spot on.

I have a 2.0 white jersey that I want lettered someday. It's not a favorite so I may take a chance on EPS one of these days and see if they get it close enough. I am not skilled enough (yet) as a collector to pick out all of these differences. I am definitely the average person here. :)

For the record, the 1996-97 Liberty jerseys did NOT have a vinyl layer. I owned the Sundstrom and have seen several others in person. All twill.

Then it might have been the year after. I was told by one of the guys who used to customize them that there was a vinyl layer on one of the years of the Liberty jerseys when Gretzky wore them.

I took that pic. Still debating making a "Gretkzy" one day. When my girlfriend saw that jersey, even she stopped and said "was it their first day on the job?"

I've always wondered if that would be a foul. I'd like to get a "Gretkzy" made up, or have an inaugural Lightning jersey lettered up for Brent.

Edited by LongDistanceHeart

For the record, the 1996-97 Liberty jerseys did NOT have a vinyl layer. I owned the Sundstrom and have seen several others in person. All twill.

You sold that Sundstrom without consulting me? :noway:

It was a pre-arranged deal with a good friend of mine. I bought it out from under him by mistake so I told him that he could buy it from me when he was ready.

Yup- with EPS, they tend to letter all jerseys of the same style the same way, regardless of the year you specify. For the average (read "sane") person that's perfectly fine, but not with most of us here. For many jersey styles that were used for long periods of time like the Rangers Liberty, there were slight variations in the fonts from year to year, but EPS doesn't generally take those into account unless you specifically point out (pictures help) those details that you want (or don't want). Josh is pretty good at paying attention to this stuff. But if you don't say anything you just get the standard job, which is why you'll get Koho-era numbers on a Starter Liberty.

Hi guys,

I have a 96/97 liberty that i'm sending to EPS. Been reading all your helpful information here, but still unsure of what exactly to tell Josh.From the information i've gathered here the gray drowshadow layer and white layer on the numbers should be thinner on the starter than the koho era but is it enough to say to make those layers thinner? Does anyone have specific measuresments for these layers?

I'm having it customized with Beukeboom, are there any specific instructions regarding the name as well?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Ray

If you are so concerned with accuracy that you are going to provide measurements of the different layers, you shouldn't be sending it to anyone but the customizer that originally did the jerseys.

These places are businesses. You can give them two page essays on how you want your jerseys done and all that but they won't waste the time to follow all the minute details that you think they should follow. They simple won't waste the time it takes to do that because that time can be used filling other orders. Time is money as they say. They will use what they have on file and be done with it.

IF YOU WANT 100% ACCURACY YOU HAVE TO GO TO THE TEAM SOURCE.

According to what I was told (though Cosby's won't tell you this), the original Liberty fonts were lost. Computer died. Whatever they use now isn't what they actually used back in the day.

Regarding using the team customizers, in this particular case I don't think most people even know who the team letterer was for 1996/97. I heard it said from someone who worked at Cosby then, that they did not do the Rangers' jerseys that year. Others have speculated that it was the next season that Cosby was not the team customizer. In any case, even if Cosby did do the jerseys in 1996/97, they possess so many different variations of the blue Liberty font, that you would have to specify a ton of crap anyway to get what you want. Just because you go with Cosby does not guarantee a 100% accurate job, unless you put some work into it, at least with the Liberty jerseys.

Trueblue, if you still plan to send your jersey to EPS, I have some info that may be of help to you. I gave EPS more or less what TMLFAN said (well, maybe not 2 pages), and to Josh's credit, he actually made the changes to their default font and I got back something very close to what I wanted. So it can be done. But if you do this kind of thing for every jersey you have lettered, then most customizers probably WILL tell you to gtfo, lol.

Edit: I wrote all this before I saw what CJ posted.