DEALS AND STEALS

sungod661

On June 25, 2016 at 0:08 PM, The_Dude_Abides said:

...I really want one of those retro Brodeur jerseys. A bit out of my comfort zone here...is $750 a decent price for a game issued jersey? What do you guys think?

Didn't chime in on this earlier, BUT, I think its insane to pay that much for a Game Issued jersey. There's almost no difference between that and a jersey you send to EPS and have done yourself for half the price. 

Of course, that assumes the authentic necessary is available; I don't know if anyone is going to find you a goalie cut Devils retro jersey.

As mentioned with the Jagr that is floating around on eBay, I think there's almost no possibility that a $750 Game Issued jersey holds its value. 

Then again, its up to the buyer as to whether its worth it to them. If you need help with formulating the necessary logic to make the purchase, I can definitely assist. Such as:

You would spend $375 each on two jerseys without a second thought. A goalie cut Devils retro is impossible to find elsewhere, plus its a Brodeur which not only do you collect, but he's an all-time great. As such, you would easily sacrifice the two $375 jerseys to buy the one retro. 

Just freed up $750 for you, my friend. Jerseyfication at its finest!!!

Or, of course, just buy the Yann Danis version, strip it, re-do as Brodeur, and save yourself $475. 

Edited by mfitz804

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For others, I would add that there are scores of jerseys available for players no longer with the team. If you aren't particular about vector vs. word mark, there are many of them that could be changed into something else with a simple name plate swap. 

Re:Brodeur - It's steep because Brodeur in general is steep.  I don't really collect GI as like you said they are basically the same as if you bought off the retail rack or from JB and send it off to EPS.

Plus the other thing is that all these are coming with a Meigray LOA, so you are paying a big price for one of those as well.  Will it hold it's value?  Probably not but I doubt at that price they are targeting jersey collectors but more of the fans who when they see it they go "OMG!  I can get a jersey that Marty could have worn!!!! And only at $750!! Please take my money!"  It's the same type of people who drop more than $2K on a Henrique warm up jersey that he wore for 10 minutes.

29 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

Re:Brodeur - It's steep because Brodeur in general is steep.  I don't really collect GI as like you said they are basically the same as if you bought off the retail rack or from JB and send it off to EPS.

Plus the other thing is that all these are coming with a Meigray LOA, so you are paying a big price for one of those as well.  Will it hold it's value?  Probably not but I doubt at that price they are targeting jersey collectors but more of the fans who when they see it they go "OMG!  I can get a jersey that Marty could have worn!!!! And only at $750!! Please take my money!"  It's the same type of people who drop more than $2K on a Henrique warm up jersey that he wore for 10 minutes.

I guarantee you could put that Brodeur GI up on eBay for $750 and it would sit forever. If you auctioned it at a game, or through NHL auctions as a special event jersey, then yes, someone may overpay for it. 

20 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I guarantee you could put that Brodeur GI up on eBay for $750 and it would sit forever. If you auctioned it at a game, or through NHL auctions as a special event jersey, then yes, someone may overpay for it. 

eBay is a different animal.  No one trusts it and for good reason.  It is a wretched hive of scum and villainy.

However these are not on ebay but on Meigray.  That adds a sense of safety to a lot of the casual buyers and fans.  Us collectors know what and who are good and trustworthy and who isn't, the target audience for those Marty GI's don't.  Whomever is going to buy the Marty's at those prices are not looking to flip.

Agreed, but in determining whether a price is "worth it", I'd always consider potential resale as part of assessing the item's value.

20 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Agreed, but in determining whether a price is "worth it", I'd always consider potential resale as part of assessing the item's value.

That's cause we are collectors:)

39 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

eBay is a different animal.  No one trusts it and for good reason.  It is a wretched hive of scum and villainy.

However these are not on ebay but on Meigray.  That adds a sense of safety to a lot of the casual buyers and fans.  Us collectors know what and who are good and trustworthy and who isn't, the target audience for those Marty GI's don't.  Whomever is going to buy the Marty's at those prices are not looking to flip.

Do the casual buyers and fans even know Meigray exists?

1 minute ago, furiousd said:

Probably not. The casual fan probably doesn't know the difference between the Premier and Authentic jerseys, let alone what Meigray and GI/GW is all about.

1 minute ago, Dr_Puck said:

That's too bad. Even if you're buying just one jersey for your favorite team-- and not joining our obsessed ranks--- there's value to be had with the right Meigray purchase.

I agree. Especially now with the Edge system where the difference between Premier and Authentic is huge.  In the old CCM days, the 550/6100 differences probably wouldn't have been as noticeable to the average fan/buyer.  Especially if the customization was done to spec on both shirts.

On December 13, 2010 at 7:52 PM, sungod661 said:

I disagree because not everyone bids on the same jerseys and i personaly do not check ebay evey singe day its a way of us to communicate with each other of DEALS OR STEALS we see

I do check eBay every day, but there's still plenty of times that someone finds something and posts it here before I find it. 

On December 13, 2010 at 7:15 PM, jerseymikea said:

Me thinks this thread is a little counter productive for viewers of this fourm as it alerts EVERYONE to potential steals that could be had out there.

Personally, I only post a Deal or Steal if I don't intend to deal for it or steal it. Otherwise, that would be counter productive. But if I see one that I don't want and nobody that I talk to regularly wants, I'll toss it in here and let the boys tear it to pieces.

39 minutes ago, furiousd said:

From a Devils POV, more and more casual buyers know about Meigray know about it every year. Devils are actually starting to market the auctions on NHL auctions on TV which they never did under Lou and are now doing some themselves like the first period set of the Brodeur night jerseys.  Eventually people discover who Meigray is and the game worn hobby.

It's not a big market, but all you need is for these casual buyers to buy 1 jersey at an inflated price.

25 minutes ago, furiousd said:

mfitz is arguing with ghosts...

I'm a lawyer, I'll argue with anyone or anything.

14 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

From a Devils POV, more and more casual buyers know about Meigray know about it every year. Devils are actually starting to market the auctions on NHL auctions on TV which they never did under Lou and are now doing some themselves like the first period set of the Brodeur night jerseys.  Eventually people discover who Meigray is and the game worn hobby.

It's not a big market, but all you need is for these casual buyers to buy 1 jersey at an inflated price.

3 years ago, I had no idea MeiGray existed. Still not collecting game worn, but I have been known to pick up an odd GI or two, mostly to strip. 

I first heard about Meigray about 7-8 years ago and started to seriously collect gamers around 4-5 years ago.  I find myself meeting more and more people who know who and what Meigray is every year.

17 minutes ago, furiousd said:

Interesting to hear how they're marketing.  If they want to get top dollar for these, they would probably do better to parcel them out one at a time on nhl auctions, ebay, or at the games (if they can). 

Honestly, with the prices for most I think for this they threw a bone to us collectors.  They didn't even really advertise this except I got a message from Meigray about it since they know I collect Devils (that and they know me since I stop by their office/warehouse about 1-2 times a month).

54 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

Honestly, with the prices for most I think for this they threw a bone to us collectors. 

Definitely, especially on the lower end ones. These could have sold for more. 

54 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

They didn't even really advertise this except I got a message from Meigray about it since they know I collect Devils (that and they know me since I stop by their office/warehouse about 1-2 times a month).

"Oh", said Barry, "that f**king guy is here AGAIN????"

:)

14 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Definitely, especially on the lower end ones. These could have sold for more. 

"Oh", said Barry, "that f**king guy is here AGAIN????"

:)

You are also missing "Don't you work?"

1 hour ago, Dr_Puck said:

I'm a Meigray regular but I do think they could market more to the new and one-off collectors. While they do good business with us collectors, they are missing some opportunities to push into new markets. 

I actually think they make about as much money on the one-offs as they do with collectors.  A lot of the jersey auctions from NHL.com that Meigray handles are popular with the one-off collectors and those go out the door quicker than  a good chunk of the other stuff in their warehouse.  They have also had more of a presence at Dallas and flyers games in particular and briefly had a rink board advertisement for the Kings a couple years back.  

It's getting there.  If Meigray wasn't doing well with these types of collectors they wouldn't have moved into a larger warehouse a few months ago.

i keep getting excited that theres a steal, but I just see you guys debating meigrays marketing scheme smh

2 hours ago, Dr_Puck said:

Please accept my most humble apology. Devilsguy, you are next in line to apologize.

Good, we've finally got the marketing debate out of the way. What's next, if Meigray will charge extra for shipping to canada because they need to send it over trumps wall?