DEALS AND STEALS

sungod661

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

######, I really want those Jagr jerseys he has for sale. There's a signing in early March here with a few of the Flyers.

While there may have been at some point a "legitimate" version of that jersey (I'll have to take your word on it - I've never seen one), that specific one is indeed a fake. As are the hundreds of those that have popped up on eBay and all over those fake jersey websites (like this one).

This style of fake has been discussed quite a bit in the past. Here's a quick rundown of the issues (many of which are visible in that auction):

- The "G" in "RANGERS" on the front is wrong.

- The blue color is actually more cyan than the royal it should be

- The red color stripes are more magenta than the red it should be

- The lettering/numbers numbers are the cheap vinyl-like material not twill

- The stitching on the lettering/numbers is not zig-zag, almost emroidered

- The seam stitching for the stripes in the hem doesn't match an authentic

- The mesh material isn't exactly like that of a Starter authentic

- The size tag doesn't match the 52-R etc. standard for Starter

I will agree there are some inconsistencies in this jersey however having once owned one i can assure their are definitely authentic ones i can't find pics of the one i used to own. Even the one i owned wasn't 100% accurate you have to understand these were mass produced in a very short amount of time to coincide with the retirement of 99.

Definitely the one in the ebay picture is questionable you have pointed out a few inconsistencies. If you don't believe me do a simple search on Gameworn.net "GRETZKY SET2 RANGERS" you will find very respect authenticators and dealers say the same thing i am saying (including Barry Meisel of Meigray).

I don't know the seller of this jersey but in his defence i could say the colours are a camera problem the tagging is a simple error, the mesh used was for those particular jerseys and act.....

I definitely wouldn't buy this jersey given all the things you have brought up (all valid points) however i wouldn't disregard without better pictures and explanation from the owner where the jersey was bought.

There were legitimate versions of that jersey at one point BUT I know that once the Koreans got their hands on it, that was it for that version. I don't know how many legit ones are actually still out there but the vast majority definitely aren't good.

still i wonder about the one in the ebay auction, the sticking is the thing that bothers me most colour variants are known to happen and the numbers do look cheap but that could be the picture, i definitely agree with aketon in that it is questionable but i have seen many of these jersey called fakes when they are legitimate my friend picked one up for 72$ on ebay and it was the real deal he flipped it soon after but i am sure there are legitimate versions.

As I said in my post, I'll take your word (and Mike's as well) that there were legitimate versions of that jersey. However having seen over a couple dozen of the fakes in person - I owned one myself years ago when I first got into collecting and I've seen racks of them at small sporting goods stores and card shops - I promise you that is indeed a fake.

The color issues are distinct when held up next to a real Starter authentic, once you see the contrast it's easy to note. As is the mesh differences - the holes are not similar and the material even feels different. Starter mesh jerseys are already very shiny, but the fakes are more so.

As I stated before the "G" in RANGERS is the biggest giveaway to me. The shot below also clearly shows the fake twill material and the embroidered style stitching. The construction of the stripes in that pic looks identical to all the fakes I've seen.

$(KGrHqZ,!p0E63ZpJqUwBO-PvN23Z!~~60_12.JPG

I wish i could remember what my jersey looked like, Is it possible that this "special" jersey differed in construction to the rest of the starter meshes" ? I know the one i had was legit i got it from a nhl player who got it from Wayne. I unfortunately never really looked at the actual construction of the jersey it was part of a lot i bought.

I will look for pics of the gretzky i remember taking a few hopefully that will shed light on these jerseys. Also i agree that there is a ton of fakes of this jersey and is likely in the top 5 of most fakes jersey on the planet.

NHLPA COA?

Figured it would be a I.O.C COA like the one's I got with Olympic memorabilia.

I can't decide if I should bid the 11k and hope I don't get outbid or just use the BIN for 15k.

I am thinking about offering $20k because I think 15k is too cheap

You guys laugh but there are Blackhawks fans out there crazy enough to buy that jersey at that price. That's pretty much what Kane game-worn jerseys go for anyway. Insane!

NHLPA COA?

Figured it would be a I.O.C COA like the one's I got with Olympic memorabilia.

I was wondering the same thing. Also, why is there an "official licensed product" tag rather than an "authentic" tag? And why no picture of a fight strap?

You guys laugh but there are Blackhawks fans out there crazy enough to buy that jersey at that price. That's pretty much what Kane game-worn jerseys go for anyway. Insane!

I was dead serious (about 11k/15k being a good price).

I'd rather buy a $20k car than buy a gamer...

Don't forget; he's still a member of the NHLPA and they have an agreement with the IOC to play in the Olympics so that's why you'd have an NHLPA letter with it. The USA Hockey tag in the collar is standard of all USA Hockey game-worn jerseys. That jersey is 100% genuine. Probably ZERO wear on it too since it was most likely used in one round-robin game.

i am more curious to know how the hell he got both of those?! :blink:

Credit card I bet.

:thumbsup:

Wow! Whoever got this jersey won a lottery in the jersey world.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/260910016678#ht_500wt_1159

The NHLPA had a set of jerseys on ebay worn by just about every NHLer that played in the Olympics. It's easy to tell the Kane jersey is obviously legit from looking at the pictures.

identifyingwoodstupidbo.jpg

Wow! Whoever got this jersey won a lottery in the jersey world.

http://www.ebay.com/...8#ht_500wt_1159

Ummm, you could have bought the same jersey for $2 less - Whalers

You probably still can if you message the seller...his name is Chris, very good guy :)

That guy has quite a few authentics up for very good prices. All steals if they go cheap.

Edited by JerseyHound