2011 World Juniors

LesNordiques

Wow... were there any americans at the game IN BUFFALO last night

to cheer on the HOME TEAM USA ????? Defending Champions may I add....

And that's the support they get?

Like the announcers said, was probably 90% Canadian fans, sea of red!!!!!

If it wasn't for Campbell, would have been 7-1 or worse!

Canada dominated from the start!

Bring on Russia, will defeat them again for Gold....

Sweden will take down USA for bronze.

GO CANADA!!!!!

It's unfortunate but true at the same time. That really is a great tournament to watch but outside of you crazy hosers up there, nobody else really knows about it.

As for last night though, the US didn't come ready to play. Not at all. Canada took it to them from the outset and they just wilted under the pressure. The only one who played great was Jack Campbell who was pretty much left out to dry most of the night. It's a pretty lousy letdown that really reminded me of the 2008 tournament. Same scenario, same result and even the same score. Yawn. Go Russia.

Did anyone hear about the parking prices just during Canadian games? I went down to watch the Canada Czech Republic game. The border wait was unreal. We left at 12 45 (from Burlington, Ontario- about an hour and 10 minutes away) and we missed the first period and 2 minutes of the second. And the game started at 4! So when we finally got near the arena we just wanted to get inside. Well parking was $50! Yes 50 bucks. I would have kept looking to park somewhere else, but we were already late so I forked over the cash. I heard parking was no more than $20 for any other game, but was jacked up to as high as $60 for Canada games.

That was the plan. To get all you Canadians across the border so you drop a buttload of money here in the States just to show up late and not get to see any action!! And you fell for it!! BWAHAHAHAHA!!!

Sadly you ended up at the only game they charged that price, before channel 4 went over there and shut it down. I think its less of a disparaging shot at the US fans then a testament to the passion of the Canadians for their team and sport. Many people in western NY bought the ticket package but its hard to pass up selling your seat to one our cousins to the north for 3x what you bought it for and still see the game on TV. If that market wasn't there you'd see many more people at the arena in the red white AND blue. Call that a lack of passion maybe but if you knew you were going to be a minority at your own arena it would be tough to pass up the money.

Sadly you ended up at the only game they charged that price, before channel 4 went over there and shut it down. I think its less of a disparaging shot at the US fans then a testament to the passion of the Canadians for their team and sport. Many people in western NY bought the ticket package but its hard to pass up selling your seat to one our cousins to the north for 3x what you bought it for and still see the game on TV. If that market wasn't there you'd see many more people at the arena in the red white AND blue. Call that a lack of passion maybe but if you knew you were going to be a minority at your own arena it would be tough to pass up the money.

Good point, I never thought of that. Do you know what the going price was for the game yesterday? I went with a few buddies and we had seats in the 200 level, they were $75/each from Stubhub which wasn't too bad.

I didn't even check, but you saying $75 for 200 was a good price...which I think is too high for many US fans. I think the disconnect is with the tournament itself. Take the olympics for example to many people here its not about displaying out athletic prowess or hockey skill but its US vs. THEM its the US v. the world and no matter what sport it is its the Olympics. The passion for 1980 isn't about how the US showed the world we were a hockey power it was about the US beating RUSSIA. A bunch of ragtag kids that would probably lose 9/10 times, did it. We didn't know who they were really from but the world was watching and that meant the US needed to be the best. So everyone rallied behind it.

The world jr's is a big stage but its not on tv except the nhl network down here so by that fact alone many people dont see it or hear about it so there is no hype and nothing to rally behind. Also we have no US v THEM with Canada...we are friendly, they are normal people (that love hockey).

Now these are my assumptions so please feel free to correct my mistakes but I see it this way. Any challenge to Canada's skill and prowess in hockey needs to be defended by and supported by the country because hockey is part of the national identity. All of you know how extremely hard it is to make that squad, to get that far, and to be that good. They aren't THE boys they are OUR boys. Its really remarkable.

If more countries in the world played American football at a high level I think you would see the same thing down here.

USA for BRONZE !!!

It's a lot of money to spend on watching a bunch of teenagers play. The Americans that are willing to do that do it for college football.

The new streak starts tonight. The bronze game was good to watch, the Americans stuck it to the Swedes and Jack Campbell is flat out awesome.

well that was the biggest F(&^*** collapse I have ever seen.....

wow, I was happy and hammered going into the the 3rd period...

now just drunk, depressed and ######!!!!

Look holding a successful tournament here was a start. And a good US team will help get people interesting in this tournament. I've been to every game at HSBC and it was awesome. I've been telling everyone I know to watch it so they will catch the fever. If the US stays competitive in a few years you will see more American attention devoted to it.

My seven year old came back down stairs after getting ready for bed after the end of the second period. He looked and saw the score was 3-3 at the time and just said "Whoa..."

It only got more surreal from there. Just amazing that Russia had been outscored by Canada 6-0 over their last three periods, dating back to their previous game in the group stage and then unleashed five even strength goals in one period. Amazing.

I commend the Russians, they took our "style" and shoved it right back at us. Grit, heart, passion is what they showed last night (and intoxication this morning). I'm glad we didn't get beat off a soft goal (Carlson last year, Fleury's clearing attempt) but instead by a team that played to win. I love the WJHC. Did anyone catch the U-17 final? That shootout move from the kid from Ontario (gotta rep Ontario) was sick, of course it started the debate if that's Forsberg's move (Jussi Jokinen perfected it).