Anyone Order A Jersey From CustomThrowbackjerseys.com?

PenguinsFan88

Customthrowbackjerseys.com

I just saw a link to their site in one of the threads here and from what I can see, they look like a pretty good online jersey store IMO. Was thinking of getting my customized Lemieux jersey '92 Pens away jersey from there. I still have not gotten my customized Lemieux jersey yet since IceJerseys are sold out of them in my size. :(

As for CustomThrowbackjerseys.com though, has anyone here ever done business with them? If so, how are they? Are both the names and numbers really handsewn onto the jerseys nicely just like they advertise? Do they use the exact team vintage letterings and fonts that the teams really used back in the day? If so, I might just consider dealing with them.

If all that is good and I do decide to order from them, is there anything else I should know about? How are they in terms of customer service? Do they take awhile to ship stuff? Do they send emails when they ship out your jerseys? etc.

Discuss.

By the way here's a link to the jersey I want with pictures. Hopefully one of you can verify everything in terms of numbering and font is correct.

The '92 Lemieux Jersey They Sell.

Lemme know guys. Thanks. :)

I ordered this one from them last spring, for obvious reasons. About the only pro athlete I ever seen who shares my name:

ullman_205__15042_zoom.jpg

Now, I'm not 100% sure it's not technically a jersey foul...I don't think the Leafs added NOBs (Name On Back) until after Norm Ullman retired. But in terms of craftsmanship, they're solid. Jersey arrived pretty quick too, as I recall.

My 2¢.

The sleeve numbers are not the right font on that Lemeiux jersey. If you want one that looks ok, that one is fine, but to get one done really accurately, you are better off buying a blank one and having it customized later.

2626909090100337552S425x425Q85.jpg

I ordered this one from them last spring, for obvious reasons. About the only pro athlete I ever seen who shares my name:

Now, I'm not 100% sure it's not technically a jersey foul...I don't think the Leafs added NOBs (Name On Back) until after Norm Ullman retired. But in terms of craftsmanship, they're solid. Jersey arrived pretty quick too, as I recall.

My 2¢.

Thats a sweet jersey. I have never seen that around. You were right about the names or lack thereof though. Names weren't mandatory until 78 I think and even then, Harold Ballard was too cheap a b@stard to use them correctly (ie same colour as the jersey)

Still, sweet jersey and this site seems to have some cool jerseys. I'm gonna have to keep this site in mind for the future.

Thats a sweet jersey. I have never seen that around. You were right about the names or lack thereof though. Names weren't mandatory until 78 I think and even then, Harold Ballard was too cheap a b@stard to use them correctly (ie same colour as the jersey)

Still, sweet jersey and this site seems to have some cool jerseys. I'm gonna have to keep this site in mind for the future.

They only got away with that for 3 or so games. gameworn.net had a great thread about it about a month or so back. I'll try and dig it up

They only got away with that for 3 or so games. gameworn.net had a great thread about it about a month or so back. I'll try and dig it up

Yeah and the reason Ballard used white lettering on white jerseys was because he wanted to stick it to the NHL for making him put them on not because he was cheap. Eventually, after a few games, he had to do them correctly and put blue lettering on the whites and so on.

http://www.gameworn.net/cgi-bin/GW/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=021871

That's the thread in question. I should know...I started it. :P

I think I've found the topic for my next Old-Timey Hockey Tales strip.

Now, I'm not 100% sure it's not technically a jersey foul...

There's always the excuse that you are replicating a national tv game when the names were added and then removed afterwards. That's how the Flyers ended up with the reverse color nameplates. They only made up one set for TV games on white (I believe) and had to use them on both jerseys when they were on the game of the week. Now it's trendy!

• 3 years later...

I know this thread is from a while ago, but I've been looking at the CustomThrowbackjerseys.com website recently and am deciding whether to make a purchase. They have some good looking stuff I haven't found elsewhere. I looked them up on BBB.org, which gives them an "F" rating based on 7 complaints: http://www.bbb.org/upstate-new-york/Business-Reviews/clothing-retail/custom-throwback-jerseys-in-champlain-ny-235964441/ I may be wrong, but I think the same folks may also sell as "vintage-legends" on eBay, from Hawkesbury, Ontario. The products and policies look the same - and so do the complaints, although vintage-legends overall has 98%+ positive feedback. There are a few product complaints, but most have to do with customer service. Does anyone have experience with either seller?

They used to trade as Pro-Jerseys on eBay but I guess they must have changed that. I bought one of the 1994 Rangers Stanley Cup Finals jerseys from him when I was totally new to the hobby and it wasn't the genuine article (I got another from a reputable seller a little while later and was able to compare). Whoever runs the account is also downright abusive to people when they complain.

We're talking about early 2007 though, so it's not a recent experience.

My only purchase from CustomThrowbackJerseys was a 1990's style CCM, but it didn't look official at all. It was actually made of Nike knit material and had a goofy-looking crest which I've never seen on any official CCM version. After learning more about this hobby I found an authentic CCM ultrafil version, got it customized, and even after that spent less than I did on the CTJ replica version. For me it was a complete waste of money and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

I have ordered quite a few things from customthrowbackjerseys.com. The jerseys are done up in about 3 weeks or so if they are custom orders, which most of mine are.

In addition, the guy has been more than helpful with allowing me to make adjustments -- the placement of the Capitals C has moved around a lot from the 1970s to the early 1990s, and I sent him pictures of game worn jerseys to try to match to. If his Rangers jerseys have name bars, he is more than happy to make up the jerseys without them if you request it. If you want a 1980s Calgary jersey done without the 89 Cup patch (because the player you want didnt play there in 89) then he is more than happy to make you up one without it.

With that said, these are replica jerseys, but they are pretty good looking replica jerseys, and he is my go to guy for any throwback replicas I am interested in.

There is a seller on ebay called pro-jerseys. The listings look exactly the same as customthrowbackjerseys, but I know for a fact that they arent the same guy. It is a little curious because the listings and prices seem exactly the same. They are both just outside Montreal (I think?) and I wonder which of the two created the listings, and is the other guy copying the look of the listings and the prices? Fact of the matter is that I have ordered from both (when I get an ebay coupon I order from pro-jerseys) and they both produce good looking stuff.

Edited by DiscoStu

I've ordered from them and if you're looking for an authentic Rangers' jersey, these ain't them. The customization is wrong, the jersey is a CCM replica of sorts with the wrong material. I grabbed a Graves one a few years back and when I got it I realized all of these things. Now, if you're not a stickler for accuracy, I guess they're passable. But I'd still avoid.

It's been discussed here a couple of times, but there were two different "Pro Jerseys" that are unaffiliated. It appears neither are on eBay (or changed their Ids)

Former seller Id "pro-jerseys" on eBay is a Canadian company (customthrowbackjerseys.com)

Former seller Id "projerseys" on eBay, is a New York area company (pro-jerseys.com)

Neither sold overseas fakes and both of them focused on replicas, usually based on the vintage CCM throwback line (which has it's own inaccuracy problems). Also both of them were noted for not being 100% accurate on customization. That coupled with the CCM throwback inaccuracy issues means for hardcore collectors you should go elsewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

well the eBay seller and the website have the exact same pictures, personally I'd stay away from both 'cause something seems shady

• 2 weeks later...

They do have a ton of interesting old jerseys from the NHL circa 1960s. I've been interested in getting the Penguins 1967 blue Ab McDonald (without the name on the back) to go with a blank white McDonald I had stripped (lettering on front) and customized a couple of years ago.

But, the font of the numbers and letters on the front is off. And, the fact that the Pittsburgh on the front is "glued" on and the spacing of the letters is not even close to the original are big turnoffs also.

On the other hand, the base jersey appears to be accurate. I've considered getting a blank from Customthrowbackjerseys and having it customized. But, $199.95 is a little steep for a replica blank.

So I keep hoping someone will come up with a more accurate replica of the original Penguins home (blue) uniform.

Edited by LouMarcon

As far as I am aware, they do not sell blanks.

I have been able to order blank jerseys of the NHL Vintage Series from sportsk.com -- have you tried them?

Is this the one you want?

http://www.sportsk.com/penguins-vintage-blue-nhl-jersey.html

Edited by DiscoStu