No goal that is a goal

lafountain

I have been watching hockey a long time and I never knew that this rule existed.

57.4 Awarded Goal - If, when the opposing goalkeeper has been removed from the ice, a player in control of the puck in the neutral or attacking zone is tripped or otherwise fouled with no opposition between him and the opposing goal, thus preventing a reasonable scoring opportunity, the Referee shall immediately stop play and award a goal to the attacking team.

The reason I bring this up is Kovalchuk scored today against Montreal without the puck even going into the net.

http://video.devils.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hlg=20102011,2,794&event=MTL674&fr=false

First of all did anyone else know that this rule existed, and second have you ever seen it called?

Right; it's definitely an empty-net rule. If a player is penalized on a breakaway at an empty net, the goal is allowed without the puck having to go into the net.

Happens all the time in empty net situations.

Right; it's definitely an empty-net rule. If a player is penalized on a breakaway at an empty net, the goal is allowed without the puck having to go into the net.

exactly, i watched it happen to Antti Miettinen last year (or maybe 2 years ago...) when he was breaking for an open net goal. guy dove and tripped him, causing him to miss the goal (which he more than likely would have done on his own. don't call him Antti Missesthenetagain for nothing), but the ref called it in because he would have gotten it in where he was at.

exactly, i watched it happen to Antti Miettinen last year (or maybe 2 years ago...) when he was breaking for an open net goal. guy dove and tripped him, causing him to miss the goal (which he more than likely would have done on his own. don't call him Antti Missesthenetagain for nothing), but the ref called it in because he would have gotten it in where he was at.

Same thing happened in 2008 when Aaron Miller of the Canucks tripped who I think was an La Kings player.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw this happen last year, I believe in the WCHA Final Five. I know it exists, but still surprising when you see it happen.