Blackhawks crest

Big A HG

How long have the Blackhawks used chenille embroidery in their crest logo? The reason I'm asking is my favorite college hockey team of which 95% of my jersey collection consists of used the Blackhawks logo for many years (that being North Dakota). North Dakota used a couple variations of a Blackhawks logo, but during the 1984-93 timespan, they used one that is pretty much identical to what is currently used today on their awesome green/white/black Ultrafil CCM's. Considering the time period, there aren't any photos I've run across in my years of searching to indicate one way or another of whether North Dakota had chenille embroidery in their own logo or not, so was hoping that if I found out what timespan the Blackhawks used such embroidery, it would help clue me on North Dakota's use, if it all.

Not sure if you're second response really warrants any kind of a response but here's the best I can give....

They've used chain stitching on their logo as far back as the 60's from what I've seen on some game worn jerseys. I don't know anything about the ND jersey but I can say that I've never seen another team use the chain stitch version of the logo (with a few rare exceptions). Based on what I found on google (a little internet searching could have been your friend) it does not look like they used a chain stitched logo, but they aren't the best pictures so I can't confirm this 100%

http://ryan85268.tripod.com/id12.html

I don't think that jersey collection is real. The 84-93 jerseys are using the smiling blackhawk head. the blackhawks had the pinhead in the late 80's and the non-smiling blackhawk head until '99. it was then that they began using the smiling head. i call photoshop.

They've used chain stitching on their logo as far back as the 60's from what I've seen on some game worn jerseys. I don't know anything about the ND jersey but I can say that I've never seen another team use the chain stitch version of the logo (with a few rare exceptions). Based on what I found on google (a little internet searching could have been your friend) it does not look like they used a chain stitched logo, but they aren't the best pictures so I can't confirm this 100%

http://ryan85268.tripod.com/id12.html

Nah I think that site is good, it looks pretty consistent to other game worns from that era that I've seen...their crest was never identical to the Hawks crest. Again I could be way off since I'm pretty unfamiliar with this teams jersey history, I'm just basing things on the few online examples I've seen.

My second post was a tongue-in-cheek joke...I thought the smiley would help. :) You guys are some of the best, really.

In regards to the site you posted, those are all replicas. That guy is one of my good friends who wanted to have virtually every custom jersey made of the Sioux from 1950-1993. I did all of the graphic artwork seen on all the jerseys, minus the the newer version Blackhawk logo, so I am very familiar with them. All the jerseys are air-knit or mesh. I own one of every single one of those jerseys because of my help with the project. (plus many other Sioux jerseys besides those). I've gone through 100s of photos in my own collection and on the internet and nothing was definitive in terms of the actual crest worn by the Sioux (photo quality is never good enough to tell). They are all merely replicas.

The jersey in question is the 1984-93 version. The authentic style used in-game at the time were ultrafil CCM jerseys, using a simple three stripe pattern and featured the Blackhawks logo on front and an S-style tomahawk patch for each shoulder (like the "C" version the Hawks use).

I was hoping for any future products to know if, in fact, the Blackhawks did use the chain stitching on their jerseys that far back, because it might clue me on on if the Sioux used them as well.

Thanks for the help so far.

• 1 year later...

The Blackhawks logo on the older Sioux sweaters is the one that Chicago used from 1960-61 through 1964-65. It was chain stitched. ND used this logo from 1964-65 through 1992-93.

Chicago has used chain stitching since the 1955-56 season, when Dorothy Ivan, wife of new Blackhawk GM Tommy Ivan, re-designed the team's uniforms and removed the circle from around the Indian head.

• 2 weeks later...

The Blackhawks logo on the older Sioux sweaters is the one that Chicago used from 1960-61 through 1964-65. It was chain stitched. ND used this logo from 1964-65 through 1992-93.

Chicago has used chain stitching since the 1955-56 season, when Dorothy Ivan, wife of new Blackhawk GM Tommy Ivan, re-designed the team's uniforms and removed the circle from around the Indian head.

This