Lemieux bashes NHL for brawl aftermath

Thelonious Sphere Monk

Wow. The whole Pittsburgh organization is just flat out embarrassing. Love it how they turn their heads when Cooke does worse things, but when a team who was crapped on for years stands up for themselves, it is a travesty. Hey Mario (and Letang), THE SCORE WAS 6-0 BEFORE ANYTHING HAPPENED! The fact Bylsma (1 game b/c Godard left the bench), Talbot (should have had one for the initial hit on Comeau), and Orpik (blind side on Grabner Friday night that started a semi-brawl) escaped without anything is bull, as well as the fact that the Pens were not fined. The NHL is extremely biased and the fact Lemieux wants more love is disgusting.

a 100k fine and 13 games worth of suspensions isnt enough?

lay off the glue, mario.

I didn't think it was even that bad! LOL

I didn't think it was even that bad! LOL

i didnt either, but can understand the league trying to take a stand against the kind of plays that can lead to injury (as much as i loved watching it)

the problem is that his complaining is self-serving. speak up about the heads shots and the lack of respect the player have for one another instead.

I don't get what he wants.

More fines for his players/team?!?

Charges pressed by the police?!?!

<Shrug>

Incase you missed it. 346 penalty minutes, 10 ejections, 15 fighting majors and 20 misconducts, $100k in fines were handed out.

Edited by Thelonious Sphere Monk

Just to make clear, the $100k in fines was ALL TO THE ISLANDERS. The Pens were fined nothing.

Again, I understand the Isles suspensions. Fine. Campbell wants to make sure Martin couldn't play against his goon son on Thursday. Fine. But if you are going to fine one team for not controling their players, it isn't fair when none of their players jumped off the bench to get involved in a fight. What was worse was that the Pens were fighting 2 on 1 (Johnson & Godard v. M. Haley) and Godard didn't get a third man in penalty!!! The Pens ended up with two different 5 minute major power plays.

Also, I have no respect for:

Lemieux-we now know where Crosby learned to b**** and moan

Orpik- blindside hit on Grabner (if Grabner pulled a "Penguin" and faked an injury, the play would definitely be under review)

Letang-cross checking John Tavares 2 times when he was down and then diving when JT hardly slashed him.

Peguin broadcaster- saying how the Isles organization is the worst in the NHL. It may be true, but be professional.

Talbot- If he just fought Martin, none of this extra stuff would have happened. No need to be a turtle

Penguin fans and Lemieux- who don't realize the score was 6-0 before any shenanigans occurred. Face it, you got beat. BTW, where were you when the Pens sucked before Crosby got there? Pens were in the same boat as the Isles are now. Also, the Pens fans who are attacking Moulson on Twitter. (not talking to any of the Pens fans on this board, because I like you guys and know you have been fans for a long time :thumbsup: )

Sorry for digressing from the thread, but I would like to shed light on Trevor Gillies as a person:

Trevor Gillies is actually a very nice guy. I met him on several occassions. Two of my favorite times meeting him were after the Isles-CBJ game this year and the private meet and greet at the Draft Party. Boll of the Jackets had a borderline hit on Johnny T (barely legal hit, a little late, but JT wasn't looking up--

). Gillies ended up getting a 10 min misconduct for no reason (still don't know) and after the game a little kid asked why he fought. Trevor responded, "He shouldn't be hitting Johnny like that". Trevor Gillies is a very good teammate. Then I said to him that "I didn't know refs can give 10 minute misconducts for winning a fight (his kids were in the car, don't want to teach them any new language when Trevor is around lol)". He liked the comment (legit laugh) and signed a nice autograph for me: Jeremy, Best wishes, your Pal Trevor Gillies.

Second story: At the draft party, it was JT, Moulson, and Gillies at the table. I had Trevor sign a picture of his first NHL point (assist) and he was screaming. Tavares saw the picture and was like "why are you always so angry?" and we all laughed. Trevor wrote: Jeremy, Thanks for all of the support! :) your pal, Trevor Gillies.

Moral of the stories, Trevor, as a first time offender, did not need 9 games, but it is understandable. Every NHL player should be the teammate and person that Trevor is--not one person on the Isles cares about the fans more than Gillies.

The sauga continues!

This time on a much Lighter note! It's got some GREAT burns on the entire leauge.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2011/02/18/complaints-mario-lemieux-has-a-few/

I like

• While occasional encounters with diehard Penguin fans are nice, the endless gushing, autograph demands, and girlish squeals of admiration make it sort of tough to get anything done during meetings with Gary Bettman! - It all makes sence now!

and

• As a 45-year-old with bad hips and a history of back problems, must somehow come to grips with the fact that he could probably only score 120 or 130 points if he was still playing today. - Ya. After 45 its hard to his 150 points evey year. :)

I laughed

/snip

Also, I have no respect for:

Lemieux-we now know where Crosby learned to b**** and moan

Orpik- blindside hit on Grabner (if Grabner pulled a "Penguin" and faked an injury, the play would definitely be under review)

Letang-cross checking John Tavares 2 times when he was down and then diving when JT hardly slashed him.

Peguin broadcaster- saying how the Isles organization is the worst in the NHL. It may be true, but be professional.

Talbot- If he just fought Martin, none of this extra stuff would have happened. No need to be a turtle

Penguin fans and Lemieux- who don't realize the score was 6-0 before any shenanigans occurred. Face it, you got beat. BTW, where were you when the Pens sucked before Crosby got there? Pens were in the same boat as the Isles are now. Also, the Pens fans who are attacking Moulson on Twitter. (not talking to any of the Pens fans on this board, because I like you guys and know you have been fans for a long time :thumbsup: )

/snip

I've tried to stay out, but whatever. Since when did blindside hits become illegal?

The Letang thing happens in every NHL game.

And, why did any of the stuff have to happen anyway. The Isles were up 6-0, right? Let the score do the talking, don't start taking cheap shots once the game is in hand.

I've tried to stay out, but whatever. Since when did blindside hits become illegal?

The Letang thing happens in every NHL game.

And, why did any of the stuff have to happen anyway. The Isles were up 6-0, right? Let the score do the talking, don't start taking cheap shots once the game is in hand.

Blind side hits to the head have become illegal since the Richards on Booth hit. I want to say Rule 48.1, granted it only applies to head shots, but Comeau did get a concussion from the hit. Also, there needs to be a respect for players that you don't hit them when they are vulnerable (see: NFL's rule). When you have this many players getting concussions, something needs to be done to protect them. The guy who hit Crosby in the WC (Seckel?) also deserved a suspension.

Letang thing doesn't happen every game. When someone is getting up, you don't knock them back down, especially not with hard cross checks into the boards, head first. Also, most NHL player's I've watched--that are not on the Pens--don't fake knee/ankle injuries like Letang. :thumbsup:

Did you watch the game? After the Isles 6th goal, I think Godard challenged Gillies to a fight, then Adams and Haley. All of the stuff started because Talbot wouldn't fight anyone. If he didn't turtle, the game would not have been like that. Remember, it takes 2 to fight. And what cheap shots did the Isles take? Gillies on Tangradi? Fine. But everything else was a hit for a hit. The refs were not going to do anything, so the Isles took it up to themselves to protect Tavares and each other. Heaven forbid a team stands up for themselves.

Also, everyone who says the Isles beat a weakened Pens team/AHL roster....THE ISLES ROSTER CAN'T EVEN COMPETE IN THE ECHL.

The Isles--especially Konopka--were furious after Phaneuf's hit on JT when the Isles played the Leafs.

I saw parts of the game (was working). And I was just basing the Letang situation off of your comments, so we'll leave it at that.

Yes, blindside hits to the head are illegal, you are correct. But, there was no contact made to the head on the hit on Comeau. Therefore, legal. Concussion or not, no contact was made. It was just one of those freak things I guess (the concussion that is).

And I'll just cite the obvious three: The Tangradi elbow, punches when he's obviously hurt, plus the taunting afterwards, the Talbot incident/attack. If he won't fight, fine, but you don't skate up behind him and pull him down/punch him. And before you argue that one, I'll tell you that I've seen Crosby go after a player before and instigate a fight as well where he'd start punching an unwilling combatant before they could even react. Obviously I don't know what was said on the ice, but I can't stand here and defend that play either. Completely unnecessary. Then, there is the Haley & Johnson fight which never should have happened in the first place. That one is both the ref and Haley's fault. A player should never challenge a goalie in a fight in my opinion and the ref should have skated Haley to the box/off the ice. Not allowed him to go on his own, especially given the nature of the game already at that point.

Also, please tell me this. When did they first try to fight Talbot? At the beginning of the game or once it was getting out of hand? Cause Talbot's not one to back down usually.

Also, please tell me this. When did they first try to fight Talbot? At the beginning of the game or once it was getting out of hand? Cause Talbot's not one to back down usually.

I think Talbot knew the Isles wanted him (a lot of Isles fans knew this was going to be a rough game). During pre-game warmups, a lot of Isles were stretching along the red center ice line, instead of along the boards inside of the blue line like they normally do. I am sure that Martin was saying things to Talbot before he pulled him down. Martin could have easily injured Talbot but held up. I am not defending Martin, but it could have been worse--I am not say he is a hero either.

The Islanders organization was probably fined because they were the home team in the game. As far as I know, the home team is responsible for the actions that take place during the game. Had the fights and hits stopped at some point instead of them being carried out from start to finish, I don't think they would have been fined.

I really don't get why the Isles went after Brent Johnson. In the previous game played in Pittsburgh, he challenged DiPietro to fight and Rick accepted, did he not? So it's not like Johnson went PURPOSEFULLY after DiPietro and beat him up, DiPietro accepted the fight, so there's NO REASON IMO the ISlanders should have went after him. Idiocy.

I really don't get why the Isles went after Brent Johnson. In the previous game played in Pittsburgh, he challenged DiPietro to fight and Rick accepted, did he not? So it's not like Johnson went PURPOSEFULLY after DiPietro and beat him up, DiPietro accepted the fight, so there's NO REASON IMO the ISlanders should have went after him. Idiocy.

Mike Haley did NOT go after Johnson...he was going to the penalty box and Johnson was skating out to the blueline...we don't know what was said. But when a goalie goes that far out, he is not innocent. It takes two to fight, and Johnson dropped his gloves. Very bush league move of Godard to fight like ranger fans do (2 on 1). I have no issues whatsoever with Johnson wiping the smile off Rico's face.

Also, Haley and Martin may have reps as goons, but they are able to play hockey (hell of a game last night for Matt Martin against Philly :D and Haley made a beautiful pass to Martin on Matt's first goal of the game)

• 3 weeks later...