Visiting America's Hat

JohnnyOnTheSpot

So, I'm going to Toronto for spring break, just got tickets for the Flyers/Leafs game. I'm really excited...but I'm trying to iron out all the details. What do you guys think I should do about money? I have Visas, AMEX, debit and a Crapital One...what do you guys recommend for the cheapest and most convenient way?

Someone's helpful.

All of that stuff works up here.

All of that stuff works up here.

Fees? Anything I should be aware of?

Fees? Anything I should be aware of?

Don't bring any guns.

Trust me! :thumbsup:

Don't bring any guns.

Trust me! :thumbsup:

It's hard to leave them home, they're kind of attached.

The friendly girls on Younge Street that want to "date you" are really just interested in your money.

Ok, so no prostitutes or Chris Bosh. I wish I had a Vinsanity jersey. Oh well. So seriously...what should I do for money?

Ok, so no prostitutes or Chris Bosh. I wish I had a Vinsanity jersey. Oh well. So seriously...what should I do for money?

Yes Chris Bosh. No Vince Carter. But you should probably convert your cash so you don't always don't have to use a credit card. I do that every time I go to the US.

Your best bet is to use an ATM and withdraw Canadian cash- you get the wholesale rate on the exchange. If you have an account at a large bank, see if they have a branch in TO- they might have an ATM near you that will be free.

Be careful using credit cards- some will charge you a foreign transaction fee- can be as much as 5 bucks every time you use it. Try to find out about this ahead of time or just don't use the card. Card companies are big on fees these days.

I feel like this should be Canada's slogan.

We used to have Timmy's at the Coli, but things went wrong. Really good hot chocolate. Best donut in the world = Timmy's Canadian Maple filled :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the help guys, I spoke with Visa and I'm just going that route.

So new question: does anyone know how to find the visiting team at the ACC? I'm going to the Flyers game and I have some time to kill, so wouldn't mind stalking a bit.

I'll chime in here.

Hit up Real Sports Bar before the game. It just opened this year and got rated the best sports bar in North America. Its got a 2 story tv and personal tvs in the bathrooms haha.

Its entirely possible that the Flyers are staying at the Royal York Hotel right by the ACC. When I was a younger, my Dad and I would hang out outside the hotel (yes stalkerish) with a bunch of other fans and got autographs. Heck, even one time Boosh bought me a hot chocolate from Tim Hortons. It was pretty cool.

And just so you're aware, because alcohol is normally cheaper in the States, large beers at the ACC are $13.50, so be ready

I'll chime in here.

Hit up Real Sports Bar before the game. It just opened this year and got rated the best sports bar in North America. Its got a 2 story tv and personal tvs in the bathrooms haha.

Its entirely possible that the Flyers are staying at the Royal York Hotel right by the ACC. When I was a younger, my Dad and I would hang out outside the hotel (yes stalkerish) with a bunch of other fans and got autographs. Heck, even one time Boosh bought me a hot chocolate from Tim Hortons. It was pretty cool.

And just so you're aware, because alcohol is normally cheaper in the States, large beers at the ACC are $13.50, so be ready

I'll chime in here.

Thanks for the tips buddy! I think I'm going to look into both of those locations.

As for beers, I surprisingly don't drink so that doesn't affect me, but I appreciate the heads up! As long as I can find me some Mountain Dew I'll be happy.

That's awesome about Boosh, I hear he's a great guy. That's a wonderful memory man, I'm jealous.

Most teams these days stay at the Westin Harbour Castle (across the street from the ACC, you'll see it). The ACC is a nice building but it's crowded and getting out at the end of the game sucks big time, so I would advise walking to your hotel or taking the subway/streetcar from Union. You may get a pat down on your way in to the ACC, although that seems to be more of a concert thing and if you are going to eat I very strongly advise you do it before the game.

I remember going to see a game at Maple Leaf Gardens in 1997 and I was staying at the Marriott Eaton Centre. Imagine my surprise walking into the lobby to check in and seeing the Phoenix Coyotes leaving to go to the arena. I think the exchange rate was about 1.60. Now it's .97. With the GST no longer refundable to visitors, and the lousy exchange rate for the US dollar, and the increasing hassles with customs, I rarely go to Canada, and I used to visit 3 to 4 times a year.

So Johnny you enjoy the game?

I actually decided to buy some tickets last minute for the game and went with my girlfriend. We were in section 319. Where were your seats?