Jersey fabrics

wrangler

I see different fabrics mentioned like Ultrafil and Airknit, but I don't know what they are, when and for which jerseys they were used, or how to recognize them.

Is there any kind of reference or link with this information?

Long story short, the air-knit is the stuff you'll find on most replica jerseys. It has little holes in it and feels somewhat rough. Ultrafil is/was generally reserved for pro jerseys and is much tighter knit, heavier and smoother. Usually, the tags either in the collar or in the side of the jersey will tell you what the material is. I really do have to work up a tutorial on what material looks like what and the names for each.

Long story short, the air-knit is the stuff you'll find on most replica jerseys. It has little holes in it and feels somewhat rough. Ultrafil is/was generally reserved for pro jerseys and is much tighter knit, heavier and smoother. Usually, the tags either in the collar or in the side of the jersey will tell you what the material is. I really do have to work up a tutorial on what material looks like what and the names for each.

OK, I've got one pro jersey, the Pro Player, I didn't see the fabric on the tag below the collar, and the tag in the side says "100% Polyester". The fabric has little holes in it.

Oh okay. Yeah, that's air-knit. It's slightly different from CCM air-knit but it's air-knit all the same.

OK, thanks. Hopefully that makes sense for a regular player-type jersey, not a replica. Everything else seems to be in order with it, as far as I could tell from reading through a lot of the threads here.

There is a section on the faqs on bigstick.ca's website that describes the different hockey jersey materials.

bigstick

gameworn.net has a section that says what type of material and other info. on NHL jerseys since the 70's

gameworn

There is a section on the faqs on bigstick.ca's website that describes the different hockey jersey materials.

bigstick

gamewornjerseys.net has a section that says what type of material and other info. on NHL jerseys since the 70's

gameworn

Thanks, I'll check those out.

Just a question, how long did the Canucks wear Ultrafil for?

according to the gameworn site

they wore knit from 1970-78

mesh from 1978-82

knit from 1982- at least 2002 (that's as far as they have done for that team)

the drop the pucks site has pictures of game worn ones that maska & ccm ultrafil knit from 1983-2000.

could check some other gameworn sites for pics. of more recent canucks jerseys or try some auction sites (like lelands or classicauctions for pics) or maybe check some photo sharing sites like photoshop or webshots.

• 7 years later...

Old thread but a good place for this question.

I have one jersey in my collection which I'm not sure what you would call the fabric.  It's definitely not Air knit, ultrafil, mesh or swift.  It's a mid 90s Bauer and it most closely resembles ultrafil, however the material is a lot lighter in thickness and weight.  The outside of the jersey is smooth and coloured black, but the inside is white.  The tag says 100% polyester.  It wrinkles very easily. Is this superfil/double knit or what am I looking at?

Here's a pic, you can see outside black and inside (around the collar area) white.

26956614828_9550371fd1_k.jpg

It's sublimated ultrafil. That was common in the 90's to accommodate the garish designs that certain teams came up with...clearly the Grizzlies fell into that category.

Thanks for the reply, in hand it feels like a lighter cheaper ultrafil. 

Bauer/SP did that with a lot of the IHL, and probably AHL, jerseys in the 90's. My avatar is exactly that way, all dye sublimated. My Lumberjacks and, before I sold it, my Spiders were also that way.