The EDGE 2.0 thread

akteon

Seems like the Edge 2.0 stuff keeps popping up in random threads, and while previously there have been some great threads on the subject, I wanted to create a single all-encompassing thread on the topic.

RBK Edge 2.0 - What is it?

2007-01-17-uniform.jpg

For the 2007-08 season, all NHL teams switched to the new RBK Edge Uniform System featuring new jerseys that were tighter fitting, water resistant, light weight, and unfortunately prone to snagging. Shortly there after, many players began to complain that the "Play-Dry" water-resistant material was actually a hindrance, as the moisture would simply run down and collect in their gloves and skates. A never version, the RBK Edge 2.0 jersey which featured traditional airknit on the front panel and arms, was provided to select players and teams.

RBK Edge 2.0 - Who wears it?

RBK has never released information on the Edge 1.0 vs 2.0 breakdown in the NHL. It may be more accurate to say that RBK has never really confirmed or commented publicly that there are two versions of the RBK Edge jersey.

Luckily the MeiGray Group posts population reports on NHLGameWorn.com for the teams participating in the MGG Game Worn Jersey program. Although the number of teams has significantly dropped off for the 2010-11 season, there is still quite a bit of data (4000+ jerseys per season) for the first 3 years the RBK Edge has been worn.

2nbrmh2.gif

Statisical Disclaimer: data includes single event jerseys (Winter Classic, All-Star Game etc.) but does not include practice jerseys.

MGG Program teams by Year:

2007-08: All-Star Game, Atlanta, Boston, Buffalo (WC only), Calgary, Colorado, Dallas, Edmonton, Nashville, New Jersey, NY Islanders, NY Rangers, Ottawa, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh (WC only), Tampa Bay, Toronto, Vancouver, Washington

2008-09: All-Star Game, Atlanta, Boston, Calgary, Chicago (WC only), Colorado, Dallas, Detroit (WC only), Edmonton, Nashville, New Jersey, NY Islanders, NY Rangers, Ottawa, Philadelphia, Tampa Bay, Toronto, Vancouver, Washington

2009-10: Atlanta, Boston, Calgary, Colorado, Dallas, Edmonton, Nashville, New Jersey, NY Rangers, Ottawa, Philadelphia, Tampa Bay, Toronto, Vancouver, Washington

2010-11: All-Star Game, Atlanta, Boston, Calgary, Colorado, Dallas, Edmonton, Montreal (HC only), Nashville, New Jersey, Ottawa, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh (WC only), Washington

Original post on these statistics

RBK Edge 2.0 - How can I tell the difference?

The only difference between an Edge 1.0 and Edge 2.0 is the airknit material on the front panel and sleeves. Both still have the same material on the back of the jersey.

Thanks to IJ forum member Rabinsurance, we've got some detailed pics showing the difference from his original post in November 2008:

Edge 1.0 body and side material

IMG00013-20100501-1227.jpg

Edge 2.0 body and side material

IMG00014-20100501-1228.jpg

Edge 1.0 shoulder area

IMG00016-20100501-1230.jpg

Edge 2.0 shoulder area

IMG00017-20100501-1231.jpg

Edge 1.0 paper sleeve tag (7187)

IMGA0280.jpg

Edge 2.0 paper sleeve tag (7287)

IMGA0279.jpg

Note: at this time both Edge 1.0 and Edge 2.0 still list 7187 on the neck tag.

Also while the Edge 2.0s are less "stretchy" than the Edge 1.0, most people feel there is not a noticeable difference in size Correction there is more room in the chest/body of the 2.0s, meaning as much as a one size shift for some people (a size 54 1.0 being similar to a size 52 2.0 in chest size). Also the sleeves are noticeably shorter as shown in this pic by FireBoudreau:

img0967k.jpg(both in the pic are size 52, on the bottom is a 1.0 and on the top is a 2.0)

RBK Edge 2.0 - Where can I get one?

Currently the Edge 2.0 jerseys for NHL teams are not available for retail sale. That doesn't mean you must buy a game-worn jersey to get an Edge 2.0, as many of our forum members have occasionally found team-issue blanks on eBay and elsewhere. However it does mean for the time being Edge 2.0 jerseys are not readily available for the average NHL hockey fan.

Update: if you were lucky to find an authentic 2011 or 2012 All-Star Game jersey, they were all sold at retail as 2.0s (confirmed by multiple collectors). Unfortunately the new retail Edge jerseys are a new model number, 7231 and are known as Indo-Edges because they are no longer made in Canada, but in Indonesia and are considered of inferior quality.

RBK Edge 2.0 - When will they be available for retail?

No one knows when RBK will finally (if ever) make the Edge 2.0s available for retail. RBK is so tight-lipped about it that many retailers don't even know there is such a thing as the Edge 2.0.

There is hope, as our buddy Rabinsurance let us know, the AHL began selling Edge 2.0s at retail three seasons ago (in 2008-09).

Closing thoughts and Thanks

A big thanks to Rabinsurance for his work in documenting the differences two years ago. I hope he doesn't mind me re-using his Photos. :thumbsup:

Also thanks to BurnabyJoeSakic for his help with the neck tag vs sleeve tag debate with his Edge 2.0 ASG jersey.

Personally I hope the Edge sues Reebok for stealing his name.

220px-The_Edge_360_Tour_Foxboro_2009.jpg

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good call Matt. This is better so it doesn't clog up other threads.

As of right now, the only place to obtain 2.0 jerseys is either through dealers like the MeiGray Group who will sell blank team jerseys or even through a club themselves. Anyone else who knows of other places to find them, by all means let us know!

Precisely as Brilliant stated. It comes down to the fact Reebok doesn't want to admit they were wrong in designing a flawed system. So to them, they can throw the EDGE brand around and have it carry some weight. Because as far as the public knows, that's the revolutionary jersey system that is top of the line.

It comes down to the fact Reebok doesn't want to admit they were wrong in designing a flawed system.

EXACTLY! I couldn't have said it better myself. That's it all the way. Reebok AND the NHL dumped a buttload of money into this EDGE 'system' and for the players to hate it the way they did, Reebok was going to take a BATH on it if they couldn't rework it so that the on-ice stuff was better suited to the guys who actually had to use it.

Sorry guys...I'm working on straightening this thread out. Give me a few minutes here.

EDIT: I couldn't get all the other ones over here without screwing everything up. Apparently, the time posted was the factor. But let's have all the remainder of the EDGE stuff in here, okay? It'll make things easier.

I agree completely, it's all ego on RBK's part. They don't want to admit they were wrong.

Despite how much I would enjoy it if they did admit it, they really don't have to. Just phase out the Edge 1.0s without really saying anything. Start with the new designs for a given season (ASG jerseys, WC jerseys, new 3rds etc.) then slowly switch over the existing designs. Hell launch a campaign saying it's "New" and "Improved".

akteon, I'm very happy that you reused my pictures. I wish they weren't so blurry. Time for an upgrade soon.

When Reebok switched the NHL to the Edge, the AHL also switched. Lake Erie was a new team, and they sold authentics from the beginning, the 1.0. Around mid season, the team switched to the 2.0. Now, I sit near the ice, so it's easy to see this in person. Many other teams began to switch, also. At the end of the 07-08 season, the 2.0 authentics began showing up in the team shop. In 08-09, a black third jersey was added, 2.0 only, game and what was sold at the arena. Then for the 09-10 season, the home and away were changed (logos switched from chest to shoulder), and once again 2.0 only, game and retail. The point of this is that for AHL teams, if the game jersey is 2.0, then that's all they make. I have to wonder if this is the case for the Canadian Hockey League teams, also. But from what I gather here and elsewhere, for NHL teams if the team is wearing a 2.0, Reebok is selling the 1.0 to the public. I can tell you that the replicas for the AHL and CHL are different from the NHL in country of origin (Canada), the material (slightly thinner), the shoulder patches (glued, not sewn), and jock tag (non existent).

Everything I have is the same size, 54, so I did a quick comparison of a white LEM 1.0 and 2.0 from 07-08. They seemed to fit very similarly to me, however, I noticed that the 1.0 sleeves are about 1/2" longer. Both of my 1.0's still have the tags on them, and probably will stay that way. They seem kind of fragile, as if they could easily be snagged on something. I really prefer the feel of the 2.0. It is a well made jersey. Almost worth the price. Almost.

Well I first want to say I think this thread was a GREAT idea! Hats off to akteon, rabinsurance, Burnaby Joe, and the others who made it possible. :thumbsup:

I honestly think Reebok made a big mistake by switching to the EDGE uniform in the first place. Does the EDGE really make that much of a difference? I really don't believe players can play at "higher levels" with it. I can understand the sweat problem, but that is common in all sports - NBA, MLB, NFL, etc. I think if Reebok is smart they would switch back to the 6100s. Fans loved that style and I believe the players didn't mind it too. But you know it's all about the green these days and if Reebok feels it can make a buck or two from the EDGE uniform, then they won't hesitate, which is what unfortunately happened.

Matt...

Outstanding work in putting this thread together. Thanks!

Just wanted to jump in and provide a few more images that will help with clarification.

The Avs have changed things up a little bit through the Edge years. Early on they used airknit nameplates on their Edge 2.0 white jerseys. They currently use Xtrafil nameplates on their white 2.0s. Here are a few examples that show what the Xtrafil on Xtrafil looks like.

MilanHejdukwhiteEdge20nameplate.jpg

ScottParker2008-2009PreseasonwhiteGamernameplate.jpg

According to the place that letters the Avs jerseys, they can no longer get white airknit from their supplier. Interesting twist there.

On the burgundy Edge 2.0s the Avs have always, and still do, use airknit nameplates. Here are a few images that show the contrast well. Seems like the darker material will be much better for us to see the difference.

Sakic08-09Set3GInameplateleft.jpg

Sakic08-09Set3GInameplateright.jpg

And here's a picture of the front that clearly shows what's airknit and what's Xtrafil on the Avalanche 2.0 burgundy jerseys (at least on the chest.)

Sakic08-09Set3GInecktaggingandC.jpg

The Avs also currently use airknit nameplates on their blue alternates as well, so this shows blue airknit on blue Xtrafil.

DavidKociAlternateGInameplate.jpg

Just wanted to post some pics that may help in our quest in trying to figure out what in the heck Reebok is doing. That's going to be tough because I'm not sure if they know what they're doing themselves. :blink:

Are the 2.0's smaller or bigger fitting than 1.0's?

I wear a larger jersey than rabinsurance and seems like the length of the sleeves gets more drastic as you go up in size. The sleeves on the size 60 1.0 are a good six inches longer than they are in the 2.0 (which is sized as a 58+ but the equivalent to a 60.) I'm 6'4" and have pretty long arms. I have to roll up the sleeves on my 1.0 to wear it in public otherwise I'd just look plain silly. They literally hang almost past my fingertips.

The bodies are pretty much the same when it comes to measurements. The thing I prefer about the 2.0s, besides the shorter arm length, is that the 2.0s are a little heavier when it comes to feel. For those of us that love and prefer the heavy airknit 6100s way more than the Edges in general, that's a plus for sure.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I work for a retailer and do the Reebok ordering for my company. I saw this thread and wanted to chime in since I just got off the phone with CCM/RBK Montreal and asked. The 7287 or Edge 2.0 jerseys are only available to retailers for the Developmental Leagues (AHL and CHL - OHL, WHL, QMJHL) The 7287 is available only through the Pro Deptartment of Reebok Montreal for use by NHL teams. It seems that teams may sell their overstock (as evidenced by the MEIGray sale) when they have switched uniforms.

Hope this helps everyone. I know I've been pushing my Reebok rep to have the Sabres Winter Classic jerseys made (the correct Edge cut ones with the tie-down neck) Sadly it seems the closest we'll be able to get NHL Edge 2.0 jerseys in retail is the Winter Classic jerseys (which have all been airknit, including the Caps and Pens for this upcoming one)

Are they releasing the Winter Classic jerseys in both EDGE 1.0 and 2.0? I am pretty sure the one madflava got through retail was a 1.0.

Sorry, should have clarified, the Winter Classic "Premier" jerseys are as close to 2.0 we'll see. I got in my Crosby and Ovie ones to sell in our stores and they just feel right haha.

The WC authentics that have been for sale by retailers are 1.0

sf3383, thanks for the info from a retailer's perspective. I think for the most part everyone understands it's not the retailers, but RBK that is the hold up. Definitely good to know that some one is at least talking directly to RBK about it.

In your talks with RBK, did you ever get an answer to why they are sticking with the 7187 for retail when a majority of NHL teams/players are wearing 7287 on the ice?

sf3383, thanks for the info from a retailer's perspective. I think for the most part everyone understands it's not the retailers, but RBK that is the hold up. Definitely good to know that some one is at least talking directly to RBK about it.

In your talks with RBK, did you ever get an answer to why they are sticking with the 7187 for retail when a majority of NHL teams/players are wearing 7287 on the ice?

I haven't flat out asked, seeing as I was only talking to a customer service rep, but I did make a remark saying "I wonder why when most of the players wear the Edge 2"

I have asked my sales rep and he can't explain it either. Says he has a hard enough time selling authentics, now that even nobody on the Sabres wears them (Pominville and Roy were the last 2 holdouts on 1.0), it's almost impossible to get retailers to purchase unless its a specific customer request.

Has RBK considered that they may be charging too much for their product? At a lower price point, and if they would offer the 2.0s they would no doubt sell more. Its funny that company reps are complaining when RBK has really made things hard on themselves. Its a pretty crappy business if they don't take employee concerns seriously.

Has RBK considered that they may be charging too much for their product? At a lower price point, and if they would offer the 2.0s they would no doubt sell more. Its funny that company reps are complaining when RBK has really made things hard on themselves. Its a pretty crappy business if they don't take employee concerns seriously.

Based on numbers I've seen, they already make very little on authentic jerseys. I think they only offer them to retailers so that ravenous, obsessed fans as ourselves can wear something close to what the players wear. It's the MSRP that kills it, IMO, but I don't think I'm at liberty to discuss that any further.

Based on numbers I've seen, they already make very little on authentic jerseys. I think they only offer them to retailers so that ravenous, obsessed fans as ourselves can wear something close to what the players wear. It's the MSRP that kills it, IMO, but I don't think I'm at liberty to discuss that any further.

Do you mean that they make very little on authentics as a whole or on each individual jersey? I can see that they may possibly make very little on the whole because they very likely do not sell much of what they produce. From an individual jersey standpoint, I find it hard to believe that they aren't making pretty good money. The materials may be marginally more expensive than the older 6100 models and I understand that there are R&D costs associated with the Edge design, but the MSRP (as you have noted) is too high. This issue is only further accentuated by the fact that knowledgeable people realize these jerseys' problems with snagging. No body wants to buy a high priced jersey that needs excessive babying. It isn't so much that I want what the players wear (even though I would appreciate it), but I want a durable jersey that I can wear without concern. This is why I (and many others) want the Edge 2.0 on the market.

Please do not feel as though I am attacking you, I just wish RBK would listen.

Edited by ncthorn

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Reebok's profit margin for the authentics is slim. They're made in Canada, where they actually have to pay people a fair wage to produce them. However, Reebok is making a killing on the replicas, with the cheaper materials and overseas cheap labor. I think the markup on authentic Edges is probably mostly the retailer's fault. How can some retailers get away with charging $200 for them, while others charge up towards $300? They're probably all paying Reebok the same for the jerseys, and then they sell them for whatever they think the best price is.

I actually received my Red Wings Edge 2.0 last night. You can read this thread all you want, but if you actually do the side by side comparison of the two, the 2.0's are indeed far superior. The arms are bigger, have reinforced elbows, and best of all, it feels downright bulletproof. No snagging with this one.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Reebok's profit margin for the authentics is slim. They're made in Canada, where they actually have to pay people a fair wage to produce them. However, Reebok is making a killing on the replicas, with the cheaper materials and overseas cheap labor. I think the markup on authentic Edges is probably mostly the retailer's fault. How can some retailers get away with charging $200 for them, while others charge up towards $300? They're probably all paying Reebok the same for the jerseys, and then they sell them for whatever they think the best price is.

I actually received my Red Wings Edge 2.0 last night. You can read this thread all you want, but if you actually do the side by side comparison of the two, the 2.0's are indeed far superior. The arms are bigger, have reinforced elbows, and best of all, it feels downright bulletproof. No snagging with this one.

Retail price is 299+tax for an edge jersey. I'm not 100% sure but I think retail stores markup is 100% of their cost so if the jerseys retail at $300 I think wholesale price is in the $150 range. Of course I may be off.

Retail price is 299+tax for an edge jersey. I'm not 100% sure but I think retail stores markup is 100% of their cost so if the jerseys retail at $300 I think wholesale price is in the $150 range. Of course I may be off.

That's consistent with what I've heard. From what I've heard retailers are not supposed to sell the authentics for under the $299 MSRP and the Premiers for under $114, as directed by Reebok. Of course there are ways around it.

That's consistent with what I've heard. From what I've heard retailers are not supposed to sell the authentics for under the $299 MSRP and the Premiers for under $114, as directed by Reebok. Of course there are ways around it.

Wonder why they want to keep the prices for the Edges high? Maybe so they don't compete the replica sales, which probably bring in more dollars?