My EPS experience

orangecrush8

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Friend of mine who posts at jerseycentral got this jersey back from EPS, and since he had one of those RBK prototypes fromt he lockout season it had the old NHL shield so he sent the new one in to be sewn over the the old one. This is what he got back:

neck.jpg

Needless to say he asked to have the thing fixed. Let's just say the responses he got back were more appropriate for last Friday than today. :lol: :facepalm:

i am a bit slow...what does this picture show ?....and what were the response ?

i am a bit slow...what does this picture show ?....and what were the response ?

On the Reebok Edge jerseys, the NHL logo is on the collar. On the old Reebok/CCM/Koho 6100s, the NHL shield is on the bottom, back right hem. He wanted the new NHL shield logo sewn over the old NHL shield logo (the NHL introduced the new shield when Rbk took over), but EPS misunderstood and put the new NHL shield on the collar of the 6100 jersey, where it did not belong and EPS should have known better

On the Reebok Edge jerseys, the NHL logo is on the collar. On the old Reebok/CCM/Koho 6100s, the NHL shield is on the bottom, back right hem. He wanted the new NHL shield logo sewn over the old NHL shield logo (the NHL introduced the new shield when Rbk took over), but EPS misunderstood and put the new NHL shield on the collar of the 6100 jersey, where it did not belong and EPS should have known better

oh s***....now i get it....thank you........yeah, that makes no sense for them to sew it on there

I thought I would put my 2 cents in since I just had some work done by EPS. I had some Mitchell and Ness Away 1974-1975 Flyers Jerseys customized, a CCM Heroes of Hockey Parent Jersey stripped and re-customized to become a 1981 Bill Barber Jersey, and a 2001 Orange Koho Flyers Jersey customized (Primeau).

I sent the jerseys early in the Summer to avoid their Fall busy season. I found that if you send jerseys in the fall, they don't have much time for the small orders. They were up front about the amount of time it would take for the order to take which was about 2 months. The jerseys did arrive in early September which was on time.

I was very happy with the results. EPS is the only customizer that I have found that can do the Flyers' mid-70s number fonts. They also have the mid 80s-mid 2000s fonts. For the nostalgic Flyers jersey collector, EPS does a good job if one is willing to wait.

I thought I would put my 2 cents in since I just had some work done by EPS. I had some Mitchell and Ness Away 1974-1975 Flyers Jerseys customized, a CCM Heroes of Hockey Parent Jersey stripped and re-customized to become a 1981 Bill Barber Jersey, and a 2001 Orange Koho Flyers Jersey customized (Primeau).

I sent the jerseys early in the Summer to avoid their Fall busy season. I found that if you send jerseys in the fall, they don't have much time for the small orders. They were up front about the amount of time it would take for the order to take which was about 2 months. The jerseys did arrive in early September which was on time.

I was very happy with the results. EPS is the only customizer that I have found that can do the Flyers' mid-70s number fonts. They also have the mid 80s-mid 2000s fonts. For the nostalgic Flyers jersey collector, EPS does a good job if one is willing to wait.

Like you said, the older stuff they do good work. The current jerseys, however, they have the wrong name and number fonts.

Mini rant here and by all means tell me to go ###### myself if you want, but honestly I can't take this anymore:

Guys, I understand you are all sticklers for "correct" customizations, but honestly most people here need to take a chill pill. I understand a lot of money is being thrown around (I am in college and work a job off campus to support my hobby sometimes), but you have to realize that you are the tiniest little blip on a giant see of teams getting their jerseys done up by EPS.

This isn't a let's cut a kit or multiple kits in a day thing for these teams and ship 'em out. This is a long process of cutting twill with complex machinery to specific fonts, then sewing them on correctly, and making sure they are being used to specific specs approved by their respective leagues and so on and so forth.

Your jersey that means a lot to YOU probably means very little revenue to the company, and they are doing a service to YOU by even customizing it. They deal with thousands of orders every day and things happen. As stated in many, many emails EPS does mention how they take priority to pro teams with large orders. The criticisms are valid, I agree that it sucks to have a jersey messed up its happened to me!, but sometimes I feel that people on this board don't remember their place as small time consumers who are just small minnows in a seat of hammerhead sharks and complain when they don't get preferential treatment.

To be honest no customization will ever be perfect as there are so many imperfections with the jerseys that hit the ice for the NHL, so obviously striving for as close to possible is what an enthusiast strives for. All I am saying is just remember next time it takes 2 months to get a jersey back that you're jersey is being stored behind multiple NHL, AHL, ECHL, NFL, and other leagues that have home, away, and sometimes third jerseys to get done for a deadline. Multiple sets of 3 jerseys is going to take a lot of time, and these companies are under deadlines to get them done, so obviously they take priority. And, EPS is also taking orders from other customers at the same time, so thousands upon thousands of jerseys need to be done to precise specs that people are demanding. Mistakes happen. Just email them back, and be patient, and they will do their best to fix it. Screaming and yelling and complaining may make you feel better, but it will probably just anger the guys at EPS who have frankly more important work to do, and cause more delays.

That's just my take. Also, if you don't expect rush treatment usually the time doesn't seem that outrageous.

I agree. I feel it all started when some of the companies started advertising 100% on ice customization. I am sure that Ice Jerseys had good intentions in mind when it was offered, but all of a sudden every team has 3 jerseys, different fonts, number sizes, patches etc. In addition, the jersey manufacturers seem to change materials, now there are Olympic jerseys, AHL specialty/holiday jerseys...It's great for the collector but come on. Ease up on the guys who are doing you a favor sewing your jerseys...They certainly aren't trying to pull one over on you all. I am sure they try their hardest.

I agree. I feel it all started when some of the companies started advertising 100% on ice customization. I am sure that Ice Jerseys had good intentions in mind when it was offered, but all of a sudden every team has 3 jerseys, different fonts, number sizes, patches etc. In addition, the jersey manufacturers seem to change materials, now there are Olympic jerseys, AHL specialty/holiday jerseys...It's great for the collector but come on. Ease up on the guys who are doing you a favor sewing your jerseys...They certainly aren't trying to pull one over on you all. I am sure they try their hardest.

How are they doing me a favor if I'm paying them for the service?

I agree with a lot of the things xcdude and yourself stated earlier but the thing that bothers me is saying you have something and then giving me something different that you claim to be what I ask for.

I agree with a lot of the things xcdude and yourself stated earlier but the thing that bothers me is saying you have something and then giving me something different that you claim to be what I ask for.

Exactly. I am paying for a service that they are offering. If you can't provide the service correctly, don't advertise that you can and don't take my money to do it wrong.

If these places would advertise like this..........

"For $75 dollars we will sew a name and number on the jersey. They may be placed in the wrong place. We may use the wrong font. We may or may not use a nameplate, and it may or may not be the correct material. It may take us months. And please, don't complain, no matter how bad it looks"

........then it's "my bad" for using them.

But if they represent that they can replicate what is worn on the ice, and take my money to perform that service, then it better be ###### close to perfect.

My $.02

I understand what you are saying...My guy who did lots of my lettering never really offered any services outside of teams, schools, and businesses. He did the Flyers' stuff for years. His business is in a small corporate park. It's pretty much like a large garage. No parking, signs, hours of operation...just a name on the door. He could have told me "beat it", but he never turned me away...It was just one jersey, I know he was thinking "where am I going to find the time to do this" with schools opening, Hockey and Football season starting...Demands from Multiple professional sports teams to the local ice rink's beer leaguers...He was doing me a favor...

I get your point when on a website they promise you the world...At EPS we maintain contracts with the professional leagues so that your pro sports jerseys are an exact replication of the authentic sports jerseys worn by players on the field.

They make their own problems...

But lots of other customizers do a quality sewing job, trying their best to make the customers happy even if the "G" in Giroux is slightly off by a bit. (just an example, NOT knocking any of my fellow Flyers fans on this site) Nine out of ten people wouldn't know or aren't bothered by this.

The key is that, as you said, these companies offer "100% on-ice customization." When you offer such a service, people expect at least, you know, 95% correctness; I don't think there's one person here who wouldn't take a jersey with one letter a couple centimetres out of place, but not a jersey with the wrong letters, or in the completely wrong place, or the wrong material. Just because nine out of ten people wouldn't know their jersey is incorrect, it doesn't mean you shouldn't expect them to do what they advertise... and take money for. River City, for one, prominently advertise that they can accurately do "any style" in their catalogues, and yet according to posts I've read here, they generally don't get them right. I don't see how they're doing people a favour, if they didn't feel the money for individual jerseys was worth it then they simply wouldn't do it.

The key is that, as you said, these companies offer "100% on-ice customization." When you offer such a service, people expect at least, you know, 95% correctness; I don't think there's one person here who wouldn't take a jersey with one letter a couple centimetres out of place, but not a jersey with the wrong letters, or in the completely wrong place, or the wrong material. Just because nine out of ten people wouldn't know their jersey is incorrect, it doesn't mean you shouldn't expect them to do what they advertise... and take money for. River City, for one, prominently advertise that they can accurately do "any style" in their catalogues, and yet according to posts I've read here, they generally don't get them right. I don't see how they're doing people a favour, if they didn't feel the money for individual jerseys was worth it then they simply wouldn't do it.

*millimeters. i think anyone would complain if something is a few centimeters off ;)

I am sorry, but that is just ridiculous!

The problem is the inaccuracy and whether you are a big fish or a little one, there is no excuse for poor workmanship.

Seriously xcdude, in what other aspect of life do you accept bad work over and over again.

110% nail on the head.

Unfortunately, not all of us live beside the Honda dealer, but when we take our '98 Civic to 'Fred in The Shed's' garage instead, we still expect them to be able to provide the proper parts and service to install them correctly...because that's what they advertise.

Not only that, but we all make sure before hand, right? I mean, whenever I decide to send a jersey anywhere, I always email with detailed description and pics BEFORE I send it to ensure they'll be able to do the job right. If EPS (or anyone else) can't do what you ask, they need to tell you ahead of time so that you don't waste your time and money, and the headache to try repair what they've messed up after the fact.

If you took your '98 Civic in for a leaking water pump, got an estimate on parts/labour, etc, and were told it wouldn't be a problem, and a few days later you get your car back to find out they installed a '96 Ford Ranger water pump instead, and it doesn't fit quite right, and leaks, etc, etc, and now you need to get it fixed elsewhere, you wouldn't be pissed at the garage? And would you honestly ever go back?

Me thinks not.

I think a lot of people are taking what I said and twisting around to fit their arguments. I never said do not be upset if they gt an order wrong and immediately shake them off and badmouth them. I said that mistakes are going to happen sometimes, and waiting more than 2 months for a single order with a company the size of EPS is probably going to happen. I've had my problems with Josh before, but every time I stressed that he could take his time and I understood there were other orders that had priorities with me. I'm just stressing patience.

More often than not you are going to get the customization you order. I just think there's a bit of a sense of entitlement going around this board in regards to jersey collecting, and sometimes people need to step back and remember this is a hobby to have fun with. And that these companies don't need our orders to survive and sometimes we are at their mercy and need to b patient.

Well, Im in a bit of a pickle as I have 15 jerseys with EPS right now. As Ive mentioned before, I read earlier posts and thought EPS was the place to go. Now I am a bit worried to say the least. I havent sent in my order form yet, so wanted to ask for everyones help.

I just started collecting this summer (with the help of this forum) and Ive only customized one jersey so far (not with EPS), and it was a replica. So, I was hoping a few of the experts here could volunteer to help check the info before I send it in. Only thing is, half the jerseys are baseball jerseys.

To start, I was thinking of sending pictures and a spreadsheet with the following info, but am I missing anything?...or am I overdoing it and a lot of this is unnecessary?

JERSEY INFO:

• Manufacturer
  • Year
  • Size
  • Model
  • Team
  • Jersey colour

CUSTOMIZATION INFO:

• Number
  • Number colours are there standard names or palette like for car paint?
  • Number material tackle twill, but is there more detail I need to specify (weight of fabric?)
  • Number construction layered, kiss-cut, others?
  • Number font Just send pictures or is there a standard?
  • Number size Are there standard sizes, or are numbers normally scaled? I wear smaller jerseys 48, 46 so should the numbers be scaled to match?
  • Number placement Pictures? Measurements?
  • Name
  • Name colour
  • Name material
  • Nameplate?
  • Nameplate material
  • Nameplate width
  • Nameplate placement Pictures? Measurements?
  • Sewing thread type does this matter?
  • Sewing thread colour
  • Stitching pattern is it always a zig-zag stitch?
  • Stitch density / stitches per inch is this standard?

PICTURES. Are these the best sources:

• Front and back gameworn pictures from auction sites where the jersey is laid flat
  • On-ice action shots
  • Others?

Once I send the info package in, I'll start the clock and report back to everyone on how it goes.

JeffB did a pretty good write up on how to comunnicate with your customizer. You can see it here;

My link

Straight to the bible...good call.

Question: 'Insert random question here'

Answer: Third String Goalie!

Does EPS give you a confirmation they have your jersey, or an email that they have finished and are mailing it back?

Nope, when they charge your credit card is when you know they're finished.

Does EPS give you a confirmation they have your jersey, or an email that they have finished and are mailing it back?

They don't e-mail you when they receive your order or finish it, but they do send you a UPS shipping notice that tells you when your package should arrive.