Does anyone have other hobbies outside of jerseys?

Y'all a bunch of nerds ;)

I'm a rower. Best sport on earth, hands down. Probably one of the most physically taxing, mentally greuling, fully team oriented sport out there. Having to be in perfect unison with 7 other guys thinking about 10,000 little things at once, while pulling as hard as you can for a race is one of the most grueling, amazing things in the world. I'm actually enjoying the world of coxswaining (the guy that steers and commands the boat) right now as I am on LTIR with my back.

Hmm. Mentally grueling, thinking about 10,000 things at once -- How about flying a single-engine airplane through clouds, rain, and turbulence, on an instrument approach, with a 100-foot ceiling and 1/2 mile visibility below? At night.

Team-oriented -- Bigger airplane, more engines, and additional crew.

Pucker factor can get high.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm. Mentally grueling, thinking about 10,000 things at once -- How about flying a single-engine airplane through clouds, rain, and turbulence, on an instrument approach, with a 100-foot ceiling and 1/2 mile visibility below? At night.

Meh, you're all a bunch of sissy-nannies, I fight lions for fun, using nothing but a net and brass knuckles. I can't wear my new Edge jerseys while doing so though, since the fabric gets caught on the lion's claws.

Meh, you're all a bunch of sissy-nannies, I fight lions for fun, using nothing but a net and brass knuckles. I can't wear my new Edge jerseys while doing so though, since the fabric gets caught on the lion's claws.

You serious?

You serious?

Well I don't have any pictures of the lions, but I do have this one of me doing battle with a polar bear. I had to feign distress to lure it into the picture since I had set the camera on a timer, and used the flash to blind and reverse the flow of the match. Let's just say it didn't end well for the bear, he is now taxidermied and sitting in the Philadelphia Academy of Natural Sciences.

polarbear.JPG

Well I don't have any pictures of the lions, but I do have this one of me doing battle with a polar bear. I had to feign distress to lure it into the picture since I had set the camera on a timer, and used the flash to blind and reverse the flow of the match. Let's just say it didn't end well for the bear, he is now taxidermied and sitting in the Philadelphia Academy of Natural Sciences.

polarbear.JPG

Who wears a suit to the Academy of Natural Sciences? You needed a timer so you had nobody there with you to take the photo? Unless your a teacher....Then you NEED more hobbies! :lol:

Its cool to see the design and tech behind these things, but I still don't know if I could sit and watch it on TV every weekend. Let me know when the events are and I might be able to score you some passes to Englishtown or Maple Grove when the NHRA makes their stops. I prefer to watch MotoGP type stuff, or Isle of Man whenever its on HD Theater, as well as Rally and GT series racing. I would love to get into F1, but just have never gotten around to it.

2 things, first off get me a job there!!!!! that would be amazing, do you have a degree or tech schooling? And secondly, if you can get tickets to those events man that would be really nice. I would really appreciate it. Englishtown is in June and Maple Grove is in the beginning of October i believe. I was just talking to my dad about it, normally there are 4 of us that go each year. If you can do anything that would be awesome. Hook a brotha up..and i can assist you in the lion fighting. Ive been planning on breaking into the zoo and kidnapping some animals. Thats gonna be my new hobby. After i drink Mt Dew of course.

For the record I was not calling you a nerd. The pots immediately before me were talking about video games, so I had to bring the conversation back outdoors ;)

I can only imagine the skill that flying takes. I was just pointing out most people have no idea what's going on in the mind of a rower because most people don't have access to the sport. I was very lucky to have found this team.

For the record I was not calling you a nerd. The pots immediately before me were talking about video games, so I had to bring the conversation back outdoors ;)

I can only imagine the skill that flying takes. I was just pointing out most people have no idea what's going on in the mind of a rower because most people don't have access to the sport. I was very lucky to have found this team.

It sounded like you directed your remarks to all prior posters. But I thought we were just kidding around.

2 things, first off get me a job there!!!!! that would be amazing, do you have a degree or tech schooling? And secondly, if you can get tickets to those events man that would be really nice. I would really appreciate it. Englishtown is in June and Maple Grove is in the beginning of October i believe. I was just talking to my dad about it, normally there are 4 of us that go each year. If you can do anything that would be awesome. Hook a brotha up..and i can assist you in the lion fighting. Ive been planning on breaking into the zoo and kidnapping some animals. Thats gonna be my new hobby. After i drink Mt Dew of course.

If you have AutoCAD/machine programming experience, my job will hopefully be opening up. I work in the less glorious Outside Sales department, I don't do any of the direct race car design or build, but it is cool to see it happen. My department handles random machine shop quotes/projects. I have an engineering degree from Drexel, but this job really only requires tech/drafting experience to handle to work load and responsibility. I like what I do, but it can get pretty mind numbing. I went to school to tackle high level engineering/problem solving, and here I don't really have the opportunity for that. It was a great part time job, but I am getting underpaid for my degree (overpaid for the position) and I hate to be the guy with a job that complains about his job in this economy, but I am looking to do bigger and better things.

We're the nerds? Do you know where you are going to school lol?

We're the nerds? Do you know where you are going to school lol?

Yes one full of frattastic douchebags and long island Jewish American Princes/Princesses. To quote a friend "Emory is a breeding ground for delusional people that will one day be hooked on their children's antidepressents"

For the record I am a giant nerd too. Just a politics and international relations nerd. Sorry wrangler if my post came off that way, it was mostly to address the gamers.

Yes one full of frattastic douchebags and long island Jewish American Princes/Princesses. To quote a friend "Emory is a breeding ground for delusional people that will one day be hooked on their children's antidepressents"

For the record I am a giant nerd too. Just a politics and international relations nerd. Sorry wrangler if my post came off that way, it was mostly to address the gamers.

Theres a little part of you screaming out right now saying...I used to love video games, stop lying!!!

If you have AutoCAD/machine programming experience, my job will hopefully be opening up. I work in the less glorious Outside Sales department, I don't do any of the direct race car design or build, but it is cool to see it happen. My department handles random machine shop quotes/projects. I have an engineering degree from Drexel, but this job really only requires tech/drafting experience to handle to work load and responsibility. I like what I do, but it can get pretty mind numbing. I went to school to tackle high level engineering/problem solving, and here I don't really have the opportunity for that. It was a great part time job, but I am getting underpaid for my degree (overpaid for the position) and I hate to be the guy with a job that complains about his job in this economy, but I am looking to do bigger and better things.

Thats understandable, being 15 minutes from Philly I know personally how amazing engineering is at Drexel so i can see how you want to face more challenges. Two years ago i was talking to one of the race teams for one of the top fuel drivers at Englishtown and we were talking about working directly on the cars and what not, i would love to do it because i grew up working on an old fast car but i just dont think i would want to do it at such a fast paced competitive level as they do and i cannot imagine the pay being that great either. And who knows things may open up for you buddy, with that degree anything is possible.

And do you really think tickets for englishtown/maple grove are a possibility? Do they give them out at your company or something? The only reason i ask is because the NHRA has gotten pretty pricey lol.

Thats understandable, being 15 minutes from Philly I know personally how amazing engineering is at Drexel so i can see how you want to face more challenges. Two years ago i was talking to one of the race teams for one of the top fuel drivers at Englishtown and we were talking about working directly on the cars and what not, i would love to do it because i grew up working on an old fast car but i just dont think i would want to do it at such a fast paced competitive level as they do and i cannot imagine the pay being that great either. And who knows things may open up for you buddy, with that degree anything is possible.

And do you really think tickets for englishtown/maple grove are a possibility? Do they give them out at your company or something? The only reason i ask is because the NHRA has gotten pretty pricey lol.

They normally give us passes for Thurs/Fri/Saturday. So if you want to see the final runs, you gotta pay. Contact me closer to June when you normally buy tickets for the event and if I am still here I will ask. I can't promise anything, but if it saves you each 20 bucks for only having to buy a Sunday ticket, then great.

As for working on a racing team, they go through crew members like Charlie Sheen goes through cocaine and p*rn stars. Its such a stressful job, and like most race people, it's always last minute pressure, even when it doesn't have to be. Guys complain that the team kind of loafs around and does tourist stuff around the location and nobody decides to fix the car until Wednesday/Thursday before races. I think the fastest recorded engine tear down and rebuild is in the 16 minute range, that is absurd. Even the average 35-45 minute tear down and rebuild boggles my mind.

Theres a little part of you screaming out right now saying...I used to love video games, stop lying!!!

Besides the occasional call of duty and NHL 09, I rarely play video games. Never did much as a kid either. My friends all did so when we'd play together I was the horrible kid, so there was no reason for me to spend time trying to get better with school/soccer practice/cross country practice etc. I think they are lots of fun, but I wouldn't call them a hobby for me.

Everyone else here would think I'm just an uber n00b and beat my Arse, and more power to them! They'll probably call me a loser for spending hours about figuring out which new sleeping bag I need to buy, and the obscene price tag that will come with it. And that's what makes everyone great, the diversity!

Besides the occasional call of duty and NHL 09, I rarely play video games. Never did much as a kid either. My friends all did so when we'd play together I was the horrible kid, so there was no reason for me to spend time trying to get better with school/soccer practice/cross country practice etc. I think they are lots of fun, but I wouldn't call them a hobby for me.

Everyone else here would think I'm just an uber n00b and beat my Arse, and more power to them! They'll probably call me a loser for spending hours about figuring out which new sleeping bag I need to buy, and the obscene price tag that will come with it. And that's what makes everyone great, the diversity!

Ya right dude, we all have our own personal interests which is awesome. I think that fact you go hiking and all the outdoor stuff is awesome. One of my favorite shows is Survivor Man...I love that show dude, that kind of stuff takes real guts. As for video games i only play NHL 11...i spend a lot of time in the gym, which some people may say is dumb or a waste of time. Everyone has their own interests.

They normally give us passes for Thurs/Fri/Saturday. So if you want to see the final runs, you gotta pay. Contact me closer to June when you normally buy tickets for the event and if I am still here I will ask. I can't promise anything, but if it saves you each 20 bucks for only having to buy a Sunday ticket, then great.

As for working on a racing team, they go through crew members like Charlie Sheen goes through cocaine and p*rn stars. Its such a stressful job, and like most race people, it's always last minute pressure, even when it doesn't have to be. Guys complain that the team kind of loafs around and does tourist stuff around the location and nobody decides to fix the car until Wednesday/Thursday before races. I think the fastest recorded engine tear down and rebuild is in the 16 minute range, that is absurd. Even the average 35-45 minute tear down and rebuild boggles my mind.

Ya after reading that your so right and i would never want to be part of that..no way.. And i normally go friday, i just like watching the cars so if that happens to be the day you get passes for that is awesome. I will certainly let you know. And if your not there then i know you put that brain to some serious work man lol.

Ya right dude, we all have our own personal interests which is awesome. I think that fact you go hiking and all the outdoor stuff is awesome. One of my favorite shows is Survivor Man...I love that show dude, that kind of stuff takes real guts. As for video games i only play NHL 11...i spend a lot of time in the gym, which some people may say is dumb or a waste of time. Everyone has their own interests.

Thank you, I love it too ;)

I'm a gym rat for crew. People are always giving us weird looks for the intense workouts we do. I still maintain that the ergometer is God's punishment for our sins. 2x35 minute rows on that thing make you hate yourself in no time.

You gotta leave some time for tanning and laundry too, ya nerd. :P

Its a lifestyle choice. Funny story, doing laundry right now, and actually got tan from going to florida to train for a week. Though, if any of you call me the situation I will cut you.

You gotta leave some time for tanning and laundry too, ya nerd. :P

I do laundry but no tanning, i also sometimes beat the beat up, normally accidentally when i get too worked up on Mt Dew

I do laundry but no tanning, i also sometimes beat the beat up, normally accidentally when i get too worked up on Mt Dew

I usually don't tan, either, just occasionally if it's a nice hide.