Colorado Avalanche Name Plates: Off center?

domestique

Is it me and just staring at the computer screen too long, or are some Avalanche name plates crooked looking?

It almost appears to me that certain names lend themselves to appearing crooked.

Tanguay05-06back.jpg

IanLaperriere05-06burgundynameplate.jpg

This is a jersey for sale and it either has a bad customization job or are my eyes just bad?

11320562.jpg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it me and just staring at the computer screen too long, or are some Avalanche name plates crooked looking?

It almost appears to me that certain names lend themselves to appearing crooked.

This is a jersey for sale and it either has a bad customization job or are my eyes just bad?

It's easy to tell with the jersey, just lay a straightedge across the tops of the numbers, and compare the distance to the name on each side.

With pictures it can be hard to tell if you can't see wrinkles that move things closer together.

On the LaPerriere, the name seems a bit lower on the left, and the right number's top appears higher.

It's easy to tell with the jersey, just lay a straightedge across the tops of the numbers, and compare the distance to the name on each side.

With pictures it can be hard to tell if you can't see wrinkles that move things closer together.

On the LaPerriere, the name seems a bit lower on the left, and the right number's top appears higher.

Nope the LAPPY is done correctly. I know that plate anywhere, it was done by the company that does the Avs on ice jerseys.. The other ones are bad custom jobs

But the Avalanche names and numbers are probably the most difficlut to custom out of all 30 nhl teams,, no one can get it right but the company that actually does their on ice jerseys

One thing I'll add is the places doing the team jerseys literally have hundreds of jerseys to customize at any given time so they arn't going to sit there for 10 minutes making sure everything is lined up perfectly when they do up the jersey. It's very common to see things a little off on gamers.

Hey guys. I just thought I'd comment on the pictures of the jerseys from my collection that were used to start this thread.

The Tanguay was always an absolute freaking mess. I bought it on eBay knowing that all along. I got it for $40 a few years ago with plans to strip it. The font was off. And look at the numbers, they are placed too low and are a good half inch half off of level. That jersey has since been stripped and needs some work done to it before I get it redone. It's now blank with some residue from the old letters and numbers.

And thanks for your input Wrangler and Mike. That Laperriere was lettered by Denver Athletic. They do outstanding work and have customized the Avalanche's jerseys for their entire stay here in Denver. Wrangler is correct in that it's really tough to see where wrinkles are when the jersey is laid flat, especially with dark jerseys. The camera may not have been totally level either. There are too many factors when it comes getting pictures right.

There's something about the number font the Avs use as well. The "4" makes everything look off center for whatever reason. Check out these Bates Battaglias that I picked up a while back. You'll see what I mean about the 4s.

BatesBattaglia2003-2004alternateGIb.jpg

BatesBattaglia2002-2003darkGIback.jpg

And here's the entire back of the Lappy. It's fine.The top left of the "L" and the upper right hand corner of the final "E" line up well.

IanLaperriere05-06burgundyback.jpg

I'm also not one to beat my jerseys up for a quarter inch here or there. If it doesn't jump out at me right away and isn't a obvious flaw I'm going to not worry about it too much. I'd rather just enjoy my jersey.

OK, now I have a few questions, since I Have a Starter Avs jersey coming in soon. First, a question of opinion, as to who I should get on the jersey. I know the big 3 are Forsberg/Sakic/Roy. Anybody have any thoughts or preferences? I'm leaning towards Sakic or Roy. Second question. Who would be better to do this job, EPS or Denver Athletic? It's from the two years where the full STARTER name was on the hem.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=360350484816&si=e2DFpKJO0%252BUQUcf8ZnajEo8Nk7o%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBOFFX%3AIT

OK, now I have a few questions, since I Have a Starter Avs jersey coming in soon. First, a question of opinion, as to who I should get on the jersey. I know the big 3 are Forsberg/Sakic/Roy. Anybody have any thoughts or preferences? I'm leaning towards Sakic or Roy. Second question. Who would be better to do this job, EPS or Denver Athletic? It's from the two years where the full STARTER name was on the hem.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=360350484816&si=e2DFpKJO0%252BUQUcf8ZnajEo8Nk7o%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBOFFX%3AIT

As far as who goes on the jersey? Whoever will make YOU happy. Don't worry about what other people think. There is no wrong choice with that list of Hall of Fame players.

EPS would be alright, and they have nameplate material for you. They do a pretty good job. Denver Athletic would be better, because they customize the Avs' on ice jerseys and always have, but they no longer carry the Starter mesh. You'd need to find another Starter mesh burgundy jersey and have DA "cannibalize" it for you.

I'm not saying that EPS does sub par work or anything, I'm just one of those collectors that likes to get jerseys done straight from the source if that's at all possible. I trust DA and they have done a TON of outstanding work for me. They make every jersey basically game ready and I prefer that over any other place, that's all.

If you don't want to get another jersey and destroy it just send your jersey to EPS. I don't have a problem with that at all, it's just not what I'd do.

First, a question of opinion, as to who I should get on the jersey.

If I got an Avs Starter mesh I would have to go with Forsberg or Kamensky, I loved those guys in 1996. Hah.

Some other players who wore that jersey: C Lemieux, Ozolinsh, Deadmarsh, Kurri, Foote, Drury, Fleury.

I'm not saying that EPS does sub par work or anything, I'm just one of those collectors that likes to get jerseys done straight from the source if that's at all possible. I trust DA and they have done a TON of outstanding work for me. They make every jersey basically game ready and I prefer that over any other place, that's all.

If you don't want to get another jersey and destroy it just send your jersey to EPS. I don't have a problem with that at all, it's just not what I'd do.

hey jay, before i got to know you better i did get a name plate from EPS.... dont go there, they cannot get the curve right,, they tried 2 times for me (sakics) it wasnt that great,

Denver Athletic has the exact curve,, if you can find the material,, mail it to them with the jersey. your best bet,, go find a blank practice jersey or crappy jersey that they sell for like 15 bucks, which is mesh material, if u can find a burgandy, mail it off to them... if not, try EPS

Heh, it seems like a bunch of us have Avs mesh jerseys we want done but getting that mesh nameplate is sounding to be more trouble than it's worth imho. It's especially disconcerting that mikey mentions that EPS can't get the curve right. I also can't bring myself to buy a blank mesh jersey just to have it destroyed. I have however no problem buying the proper material from a fabric store then having it cut up. I'm not sure who is the supplier for the fabric but if were able to find the source, maybe we can find the store who sells the fabric were looking for.

That's just my 2 cents.

I have 3 blank Starters now, when I finally get round to getting them customized I always planned on getting the nameplate material from EPS then sending it all off to DA but seems that may not be the ideal option now.

I suppose you need to get lucky and find a cheap Arse jersey with flaws that you can extract the material from.

I have 4 Starters I'm sending to EPS in April.

95-96 burgandy Ricci

96-97 white Ozolinsh

98-99 (2) Kamensky and Drury

Reebok 3rd alt Sakic

Was contemplating sending them to Denver Athletic. To have them numbered then to EPS to have the nameplates added.but just gonna go the EPS route.

Also have a 1 year style Nike White Nike Sharks wanna get a Ricci or Nolan

I'm 99% sure EPS won't just sell you the material, they either do the jersey or it's no go. I've been after both colors of mesh for Avs jerseys for quite a while, and I recently lucked out on ebay and got a maroon one with a destroyed crest and the fight strap cut out for $14, so that should take care of a few nameplates. just keep looking, eventually one will pop up. I've been spoiled after getting all my jerseys done at DA, so personally I'd rather play the waiting game than send them to EPS.

I have 4 Starters I'm sending to EPS in April.

95-96 burgandy Ricci

96-97 white Ozolinsh

98-99 (2) Kamensky and Drury

Reebok 3rd alt Sakic

Was contemplating sending them to Denver Athletic. To have them numbered then to EPS to have the nameplates added.but just gonna go the EPS route.

Also have a 1 year style Nike White Nike Sharks wanna get a Ricci or Nolan

im not putting down EPS at all,, they totally fixed my roy jersey,, stripped clean and put new numbers,, but i provided the plate,, they are not good at Avs plates trust me!!

So do I look for a blank starter or pick up one that has a bad custom jon. Not understanding the plavement what if I send the jersey have it customized but tell them to leave the nameplate off then have DA sew on the nameplate. Anybody have examples of an Avs jersey done by EPS to compare one done by DA.

So do I look for a blank starter or pick up one that has a bad custom jon. Not understanding the plavement what if I send the jersey have it customized but tell them to leave the nameplate off then have DA sew on the nameplate. Anybody have examples of an Avs jersey done by EPS to compare one done by DA.

Scott...I would either send the jerseys to EPS or DA. Don't mix and match. It would be kind of disrespectful to either company. And if you choose to get a jersey to cut up I would try and get a blank rather than one with a bad custom job. Less work to strip it.

Here is 4freezy's Forsberg recently done by EPS. This is from the pickups section.

2589212500105237255S600x600Q85.jpg

My Pro Player done by DA not long ago.

PeterForsbergburgundyProPlayerback.jpg

PeterForsbergburgundyProPlayernameplate.jpg

The difference in the arch on the plate may have to do with the different sizes of the jersey as well. You can only make it so steep depending on real estate on the back of the jersey. 4freezy also noticed a difference on the point of the "2" on the bottom of the number. I didn't catch that before. Without the point has been accurate throughout the Avalanche's history, including the gamers in my collection.

Here are the two other Forsbergs that I've had DA do for me, just for reference.

ForsbergKohoAlternateback.jpg

ForsbergCCM2000-2001whiteback.jpg

I just wanted to build on this conversation just a little bit more. Here's a Starter that I got from Akteon a while back. It was obviously not customized by DA, but I'm not going to freak out about it either.

PeterForsbergStarterBurgundyback.jpg

PeterForsbergStarterBurgundynameplate.jpg

Scott...overall there are VERY few people (in the world, literally) that are really going to care at all about the point on the "2" or the arch on the nameplate. Sending them to EPS would definitely be the simplest thing to do if you just want to get your jerseys done.

Check out my latest pickup guys.

StarterforNameplates.jpg

StarterforNameplatesback.jpg

Akteon allowed me to take this absolute train wreck of a jersey and repurpose it into greater things. The crest was wrinkled, it was obvious that it had been washed way too many times, the whites weren't white any more, and if you look at one of the sleeves you can see that there are grease stains on it. Someone thought they had a worthless jersey on their hands. Akteon picked it up, took off the crest, gave the fight strap to someone that could use it for their vintage Starter, and then got the rest of the jersey to me.

I sent Akteon's blank and the wrecked Starter to DA and they made this, using the burgundy part of the jersey to make the nameplate.

ChrisDruryStarterback.jpg

More material from the wrecked Starter was used to make the nameplate for this jersey for St. Patrick.

PatrickRoyStarterback.jpg

I used the rest of the jersey to make the nameplate for the Forsberg Pro Player you see above.

It can be done, you just have to find the right jersey that's basically junk and sacrifice it for a greater cause. Keep your eyes open, they're out there. Do what Aktoen did when you pick up that jersey though, get what you need for yourself and then share it with others that need it.

Stuff like this is what makes this community cool to be a part of.

I don't know why I read your posts Burnaby... I always end up so bloody jealous lol