Help Me Recreate A Vintage Jersey

irishlaxburger2

So here's the jersey I want to have made...

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb28/VintageMinnesotaHockey/MN%20Vintage%20Hockey%20Photos/DSC03601.jpg

I asked the guys over at Ebbets Field Flannels if it was possible and they said yes (just with a pretty big upcharge since I'm only getting one). They said they can replicate the basic jersey design perfectly and their wool should be pretty close to the old Cosby wool from the 60s. The problem is the cresting though. First, the original jersey uses twill for the USA on the front and the sleeve/back numbers. EFF doesn't use twill and only uses felt. Their opinion is that the older twill is nothing like modern twill and their felt is a better representation. If I get the cresting done elsewhere with real twill though, that will add costs to the jersey. The second problem is the USA patch. The only way they can recreate it is to completely embroider it which will add another decent sized upcharge. I have no idea where else to have the patch done though. I'm not sure I even have another option here.

So what does everyone think I should do? Here are the 3 options...

1. Get a completely blank jersey from EFF. Have the twill work and patch done elsewhere.

2. Get a jersey from EFF with the embroidered patch but not "USA" or numbers. Have those done with real twill elsewhere.

3. Get it all done by EFF with felt and embroidered patch.

Help!

Whats your budget like? Thats a good start in deciding what you should do right?

I also think this is a very cool idea

At the end of the day, I just want the jersey to be done right so budget isn't a huge concern. I've been quoted at $375 by EFF to do the whole thing, which I'm willing to pay as long as it's done right. I wouldn't want to go too much higher than that though. I think the most expensive option would be #2.

I think my biggest concern is the twill vs. felt debate. Does anyone know what the twill on a jersey from the 50's or 60's is like? Would modern twill or felt be closer?

At the end of the day, I just want the jersey to be done right so budget isn't a huge concern. I've been quoted at $375 by EFF to do the whole thing, which I'm willing to pay as long as it's done right. I wouldn't want to go too much higher than that though. I think the most expensive option would be #2.

I think my biggest concern is the twill vs. felt debate. Does anyone know what the twill on a jersey from the 50's or 60's is like? Would modern twill or felt be closer?

Well if you want the jersey done to be as close as possible to the original, then I would ensure that things happen that way. I'm not sure on the past felt versus today, so use your judgment on that one, probably just go with theirs IMO. Also get them to do the patch if it's as close as possible.

So I guess have EFF do everything then. :) It will save you shipping costs in the long run too.

I had the same issues with a jersey I had recreated.

Here's a couple suggestions:

1) There minimum order is 6 for a typical custom run of jerseys. See if you can find 5 other people to go in with you, and your cost will come down to about $200 per jersey.

2) The felt is a good representation of the lettering/numbering. You won't find what you are looking for, and I can tell you that even though I had the same issue with the jerseys I ordered, the felt is actually the closest option you'll probably find. I personally wouldn't hesitate with that portion. Their felt lays very flat, obviously slightly thicker than your typical modern twill, but it isn't ultra-thick and puffy looking on the jersey at all.

In terms of the embroidered patch, that's something that I would just have done by them. You're going to have to get it done somewhere, and they will know your concerns about the authenticity of how you want it opposed to other places that might not. It's likely worth the extra bit of cash.

I'd be interested in a 1960's jersey if the price went down to 200, I would want to see some graphics proofs though before the go ahead. Were you looking to get blue or white?

Also, have you looked into https://vintagehockeyclassics.com as a possibility as well?

I was thinking about going with the white for a couple reasons. First, as a Rangers fan I have a bunch of blue jerseys in that style. Also, I found a photo of Herb Brooks wearing it online so I know I can go with #5. Lastly, the numbers on the white jerseys were pretty cool. Only one color on the arms and two colors on the back. The blue jerseys had the traditional Rangers two color on the arms and back. There was a short time when Cosby's went with only one color on the arms of white Rangers and USA sweaters so I found that cool. Here's an example.

Geoffrion Rangers Game Worn White

1960 USA Cleary Brothers

I had a bad experience with Vintage Hockey Classics so I'm not sure I'd go back to them. It's in the process of being resolved but we'll see.

I was thinking about going with the white for a couple reasons. First, as a Rangers fan I have a bunch of blue jerseys in that style. Also, I found a photo of Herb Brooks wearing it online so I know I can go with #5. Lastly, the numbers on the white jerseys were pretty cool. Only one color on the arms and two colors on the back. The blue jerseys had the traditional Rangers two color on the arms and back. There was a short time when Cosby's went with only one color on the arms of white Rangers and USA sweaters so I found that cool. Here's an example.

Geoffrion Rangers Game Worn White

1960 USA Cleary Brothers

I had a bad experience with Vintage Hockey Classics so I'm not sure I'd go back to them. It's in the process of being resolved but we'll see.

Fair enough, I have found a roster, but is there a roster with numbers? I want to see if anyone important wore 15, or I will just go with McCartan.

Fair enough, I have found a roster, but is there a roster with numbers? I want to see if anyone important wore 15, or I will just go with McCartan.

I haven't been able to find a roster with numbers yet. There's a DVD about the team that I may pick up though. I'm sure I could get a lot of info from it and even some screenshots.

If you want to contact the person you have been talking to at EF, ask them what the progression in pricing would be for a higher quantity and whether or not they will give us an artistic proof before they go ahead and make them.

Done. I'll post here when I get a response.

So I emailed them about price progression and all they said was 6 jerseys would bump the price down to $225. In terms of the patch, they said to find a high res photo of what it looks like and they will replicate it perfectly. I sent them this photo of the re-creation on Jeff's jersey...

2635807690100337552S425x425Q85.jpg

They said they're confident they can match that patch perfectly with their embroidery. If you look at the original photo I posted, the Olympics rings in the patch actually appear to be in a straight line configuration instead of the standard 3 on top of 2. I pointed this out to them and they're OK with it.

Also looks like there's a Yellow bar separating the stripped part from the blue crown part in your original picture. and more of a point on the middle point of the crown. and possibly slightly thinner red stripes/thicker white stripes. just tryin to help

Also looks like there's a Yellow bar separating the stripped part from the blue crown part in your original picture. and more of a point on the middle point of the crown. and possibly slightly thinner red stripes/thicker white stripes. just tryin to help

Wow, good eye. Thanks for that!

Is the USA outlined in gold too? Kinda looks like it but tough to see.

Looks to be outlined in yellow. Yeah no problems lol, I'm sitting here in class bored as all hell and looking for something to do. Glad to be of service. I'd possibly want in on one of those, but I don't know anything about anybody from back then so I don't even know who I'd get on one of those.

Looks to be outlined in yellow. Yeah no problems lol, I'm sitting here in class bored as all hell and looking for something to do. Glad to be of service. I'd possibly want in on one of those, but I don't know anything about anybody from back then so I don't even know who I'd get on one of those.

That's one of the reasons I'm going with Herb Brooks. Pretty good story given he got cut a week or so before the games. He did actually wear the jersey though. Plus the Rangers jersey above shows the right font for #5.

Hmm, The thing that confuses me is I thought McCartan was number 2. The picture from the Forgotten Miracle shows a goaltender, which I assume to be McCartan wearing a number 2 jersey.

Yeah, that list isn't quite accurate. I found a roster page in a program guide at Classic Auctions and corrected the roster table. McCartan did wear #2 for the Olympics. He wore #1 for the Rangers, and I did find a picture of him wearing #1 for Team USA unless the newspaper got it wrong. Players were prone to change numbers during their stints.

Here are some interesting galleries and videos:

http://www.msuspartans.com/sports/m-hockey/spec-rel/022310aac.html

http://picasaweb.google.com/boydp55/1960OlympicHockey#

http://wn.com/Ice_hockey_at_the_1960_Winter_Olympics

Put me on your list as being very interested in the '60 U.S. Olympic jersey if the price comes down to $250 or so. That's been on my radar for years.

So here's the jersey I want to have made...

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb28/VintageMinnesotaHockey/MN%20Vintage%20Hockey%20Photos/DSC03601.jpg

I asked the guys over at Ebbets Field Flannels if it was possible and they said yes (just with a pretty big upcharge since I'm only getting one). They said they can replicate the basic jersey design perfectly and their wool should be pretty close to the old Cosby wool from the 60s. The problem is the cresting though. First, the original jersey uses twill for the USA on the front and the sleeve/back numbers. EFF doesn't use twill and only uses felt. Their opinion is that the older twill is nothing like modern twill and their felt is a better representation. If I get the cresting done elsewhere with real twill though, that will add costs to the jersey. The second problem is the USA patch. The only way they can recreate it is to completely embroider it which will add another decent sized upcharge. I have no idea where else to have the patch done though. I'm not sure I even have another option here.

So what does everyone think I should do? Here are the 3 options...

1. Get a completely blank jersey from EFF. Have the twill work and patch done elsewhere.

2. Get a jersey from EFF with the embroidered patch but not "USA" or numbers. Have those done with real twill elsewhere.

3. Get it all done by EFF with felt and embroidered patch.

Help!

Edited by LouMarcon

1960Jersey.jpgLooking at Billy Christian's 1960 jersey, in The Hockey News' Greatest Jerseys of All Time, which came out last summer, the five Olympic circles, indeed, appear to be in an almost straight line. But, from this pix it's hard to tell for sure.

If you can order these for $225, please include me in your group of six. Thanks.

So I emailed them about price progression and all they said was 6 jerseys would bump the price down to $225. In terms of the patch, they said to find a high res photo of what it looks like and they will replicate it perfectly. I sent them this photo of the re-creation on Jeff's jersey...

2635807690100337552S425x425Q85.jpg

They said they're confident they can match that patch perfectly with their embroidery. If you look at the original photo I posted, the Olympics rings in the patch actually appear to be in a straight line configuration instead of the standard 3 on top of 2. I pointed this out to them and they're OK with it.

Edited by LouMarcon

Yeah, that list isn't quite accurate. I found a roster page in a program guide at Classic Auctions and corrected the roster table. McCartan did wear #2 for the Olympics. He wore #1 for the Rangers, and I did find a picture of him wearing #1 for Team USA unless the newspaper got it wrong. Players were prone to change numbers during their stints.

Here are some interesting galleries and videos:

http://www.msuspartans.com/sports/m-hockey/spec-rel/022310aac.html

http://picasaweb.google.com/boydp55/1960OlympicHockey#

http://wn.com/Ice_hockey_at_the_1960_Winter_Olympics

Thanks for the roster, now I am torn since the guy wearing 15 did have an impactful goal. Hmm...I will retire to my den and ponder the issue...