Question about Gretzky Nike Oilers jerseys

Thelonious Sphere Monk

How rare are the Nike Gretzky ultrafil jerseys? not the Airknit version.

Did Wayne or the team ever wear the ultrafil back in the 80's or are they a complete reissue?

Who's the experts on the Nike Oilers jersey?!

Oilers Nike jerseys were always mesh; going all the way back to 1979 when they joined the NHL. Anything you see that is ultrafil or air-knit is a reproduction(obviously). They're usually pretty nice looking but they're not on-ice accurate. Weiner Wayne never wore ultrafil or air-knit while with the Oilers. It was Sandow SK mesh from 1979-80 until 1981-82 and then Nike mesh until he left.

Ahh Mesh is the legit one. Good thing I asked. When did they make the ultrafil versions?

I have my eye on a ultrafil one and its not a accurate custom job.

Think I'm wasting my time and $$$?

how common are they?

Edited by Thelonious Sphere Monk

Weiner Wayne never wore ultrafil or air-knit while with the Oilers. It was Sandow SK mesh from 1979-80 until 1981-82 and then Nike mesh until he left.

It was Maska ultrafil in 79-80 -

http://www.classicauctions.net/Default.aspx?tabid=263&auctionid=23&lotid=23

Think I'm wasting my time and $$$?

how common are they?

I believe they were put out in the mid 90s (not sure exactly when), and weren't they part of some Upper Deck promo or something?

Anyways, I'd consider them fairly rare. They're desirable beause they're NIKE (and Gretz wore NIKE), and people tend to like ultafil jerseys. Those who don't know any better are willing to spend the money to get an 'authentic NIKE', not knowing that Gretz never wore an ultafil version.

They pop up often enough, typically between $300-500. I dont' know that I've ever seen an auction run, though, only buy-it-nows.

They pop up often enough, typically between $300-500. I dont' know that I've ever seen an auction run, though, only buy-it-nows.

Ya typical e-bay.

Anything good is buy-it now..

I think I will jump on it. Wrong job on it or not.

the jersey you are referring to is a jersey made by nike to commemorate gretzky retirement they were released here in toronto as i recall at the hhof store, i was able to pick up a few at the price of 170, unfortunately nike did not have a licence to produce oiler jerseys and they were pulled from the store,and i was told the rest were sent back. i think they were out for only a couple of weeks.

• 11 months later...

the jersey you are referring to is a jersey made by nike to commemorate gretzky retirement they were released here in toronto as i recall at the hhof store, i was able to pick up a few at the price of 170, unfortunately nike did not have a licence to produce oiler jerseys and they were pulled from the store,and i was told the rest were sent back. i think they were out for only a couple of weeks.

Interesting story behind those replicas I've always wondered why I never seen them for sale online for retail. Prices they go on Ebay are too high for me. Good that you were able to get them for their retail price when they came out. Why is the customization considered wrong? Are the numbers too small on the back?

Interesting story behind those replicas I've always wondered why I never seen them for sale online for retail. Prices they go on Ebay are too high for me. Good that you were able to get them for their retail price when they came out. Why is the customization considered wrong? Are the numbers too small on the back?

Numbers were not twill but a satiny material

The white "layer" between the main blue and the orange border is stitched so tight it almost looks embroidered (i don't know if there is a technical term for this..)

• 5 years later...
On 2012-03-19 at 1:24 PM, HockeyMusic said:

Numbers were not twill but a satiny material

The white "layer" between the main blue and the orange border is stitched so tight it almost looks embroidered (i don't know if there is a technical term for this..)

I found one on eBay 2 years ago. I've been looking for one for well over 10 years.   I still can't believe I own one. They're extremely rare. Paid $800 for it. Worth every penny.

• 6 months later...
On 11/18/2017 at 8:38 PM, Bub99 said:

https://ibb.co/dOrYNm
https://ibb.co/bvif2m
https://ibb.co/bCSUv6

The one you have doesnt seem like the mesh one they wore back in the 80s. My jersey looks more mesh like the ones they wore. You can tell the difference between the 2 jerseys. 

• 2 months later...

@NYR14694 where did you get that Nike mesh jersey? I've been looking for one and am really interested in it. Would you know where to find one like this one or would you sell or trade that one? Please let me know 

• 2 months later...

Unless you post detailed pictures of yours (e.g., collar area, front crest, Nike rear hem logo, and the jersey lettering, it’s not likely anyone can help you regarding the origin of your jerseys.