Shootouts SUCK!

Okay yes the Flyers are absolutely horrid in the shootours, but thats beside the point. The Flyers/Rangers game that just ended showed exactly what is wrong with the shootout.

The ENTIRE 5 minutes of OT, the Rangers sent only one man (and sometime none) to forecheck and let the rest sit back so it was next to impossible for the Flyers to gain the zone. It was blatnetly obvious the Rangers had no intention of trying to win in overtime but rather take their chances in the shootout.

It makes the "real" hockey boring and then the final result is a decided by a gimmick.

Its just sad.

Philly fans werent bitching how they got into the playoffs last year because of it. I agree something needs to be changed about it but thats just the way it is.

Philly fans werent bitching how they got into the playoffs last year because of it. I agree something needs to be changed about it but thats just the way it is.

We werent bitching, but yeah it must have been a crappy way to lose, especially considering it was for the playoffs.

But the Rangers did the EXACT same thing in OT, just like this afternoon. Played for the shootout, but only this time it didnt come back to bite them in the ######

It's been six years now. The shootout isn't going anywhere. Everyone just has to accept that it's part of the game now. I don't like it either but that's the way it is. That's what playoff hockey is for though.

Somebody's angry that Philly didn't play well enough to beat us. I didn't hear one single Flyers fan ###### and moan about how shootouts suck when you used it to sneak in the back door all the way to game 6 of the finals a year ago. There's no rule that says you have to attack in OT. The Rangers play a defensive style of hockey in overtime, one that's perfectly legal to play. It's the other team's job to find a way to get the puck to the net.

Just further proof that Philly has the classiest fans in hockey. All I heard during every stoppage was an organ followed by "RANGERS SUCK" chants. Yep, classy bunch...

There were many avery sucks too (how fans give him the boo star treatment I love it)

Somebody's angry that Philly didn't play well enough to beat us. I didn't hear one single Flyers fan ###### and moan about how shootouts suck when you used it to sneak in the back door all the way to game 6 of the finals a year ago. There's no rule that says you have to attack in OT. The Rangers play a defensive style of hockey in overtime, one that's perfectly legal to play. It's the other team's job to find a way to get the puck to the net.

Just further proof that Philly has the classiest fans in hockey. All I heard during every stoppage was an organ followed by "RANGERS SUCK" chants. Yep, classy bunch...

Yeah they play a defensive style in OT because they have one of the best goalies in the league and they would rather take their chances in the shootout. Im not saying its not legal because it is, but rather Im saying that this is why the idea of a shootout causes an even bigger problem than just the shootout itself. So thanks for proving my point.

Oh man did those mean Flyers fans hurt your feelings with the "Rangers Suck" chants? Gosh who do they think they are. Cry me a river

(Cue the comment "Flyers fans throw snowballs at Santa Claus")

Yeah they play a defensive style in OT because they have one of the best goalies in the league and they would rather take their chances in the shootout. Im not saying its not legal because it is, but rather Im saying that this is why the idea of a shootout causes an even bigger problem than just the shootout itself. So thanks for proving my point.

Oh man did those mean Flyers fans hurt your feelings with the "Rangers Suck" chants? Gosh who do they think they are. Cry me a river

(Cue the comment "Flyers fans throw snowballs at Santa Claus")

I love shootouts. My first hockey game ended in a shootout win and it's an exciting part of the game. Flyers fans have no room to complain about the shootout because it got you all the way to the finals last year and sent us home. I didn't see one Rangers fan cry about how the shootout sucks, we took the loss and blamed the players for not getting it done. And no, those Flyers fans didn't hurt my feelings, because we won and you can't tell us how we suck after we beat your team ;).

I'm not saying we're any better when you guys come to town, but at least we're not sore losers. I was at Flyers/Rangers in January and I was sitting next to a Rangers fan and his Flyers fan wife. I gave her so much sh*t during the game (especially when goals were scored by either team) but when it was over and we lost, and she's throwing high fives at the surrounding Philly fans, she got one from me too. Partly because she was cool about all the ribbing I was giving her, but also because she was HOT! LOL

I love shootouts. My first hockey game ended in a shootout win and it's an exciting part of the game. Flyers fans have no room to complain about the shootout because it got you all the way to the finals last year and sent us home. I didn't see one Rangers fan cry about how the shootout sucks, we took the loss and blamed the players for not getting it done. And no, those Flyers fans didn't hurt my feelings, because we won and you can't tell us how we suck after we beat your team ;).

I'm not saying we're any better when you guys come to town, but at least we're not sore losers. I was at Flyers/Rangers in January and I was sitting next to a Rangers fan and his Flyers fan wife. I gave her so much sh*t during the game (especially when goals were scored by either team) but when it was over and we lost, and she's throwing high fives at the surrounding Philly fans, she got one from me too. Partly because she was cool about all the ribbing I was giving her, but also because she was HOT! LOL

I have been to my fair share of Flyers game, but have never been to a shootout. Being there in person, I bet it would be awesome to witness, with everyone standing up. But the whole idea behind it and the fact that it determines who gets in the playoffs is just awful. And just for the record, I have sympathy for last years shootout, I remember sitting in my dorm room at school watching it on my computer. There were a bunch of other people on my floor watching with me and I remember saying "even if the Flyers win, I will feel bad for the Rangers". Obviously this changes nothing but Im just throwing it out there. And yes I hate the shootout even with what happened last year. Thinking back to last year it still boggles my mind that somehow the Flyers beat the Rangers in a shootout. Especially with King Henrik and Boucher in net(who is even worse than Bobrovsky in shootouts, yeah tough to believe right?)

Im not defending all Flyers fans because like every team, they have stupid fans. But to me chanting Rangers Suck isnt making them not classy. I dont watch many Rangers games so I cant say, but when the Pens come to MSG, does Crosby or Malkin get boo'd? I dont see any difference between booing or chanting that someone sucks. And I dont consider it to be "un-classy". The "un-classy" moments are the idiots who get in fights in the stands with opposing teams fans. Seriously, who lets a fricken hockey game let them get so heated to start a fight? Im a huge Flyers fan, and youre a huge Rangers fan, and obviously there is a rivalry between our two teams. But seriously how does it get to the point where you actually get in a fight? There has got to be a point where you just settle your differences and move on. Those to me are the real un-classy fans out there.

So by all means boo the Flyers and say they suck! I will return the favor and do it to your Rangers haha

I have been to my fair share of Flyers game, but have never been to a shootout. Being there in person, I bet it would be awesome to witness, with everyone standing up. But the whole idea behind it and the fact that it determines who gets in the playoffs. And just for the record, I have sympathy for last years shootout, I remember sitting in my dorm room at school watching it on my computer. There were a bunch of other people on my floor watching with me and I remember saying "even if the Flyers win, I will feel bad for the Rangers". Obviously this changes nothing but Im just throwing it out there. And yes I hate the shootout even with what happened last year. Thinking back to last year it still boggles my mind that somehow the Flyers beat the Rangers in a shootout. Especially with King Henrik and Boucher in net(who is even worse than Bobrovsky in shootouts, yeah tough to believe right?)

Im not defending all Flyers fans because like every team, they have stupid fans. But to me chanting Rangers Suck isnt making them not classy. I dont watch many Rangers games so I cant say, but when the Pens come to MSG, does Crosby or Malkin get boo'd? I dont see any difference between booing or chanting that someone sucks. And I dont consider it to be "un-classy". The "un-classy" moments are the idiots who get in fights in the stands with opposing teams fans. Seriously, who lets a fricken hockey game let them get so heated to start a fight? Im a huge Flyers fan, and youre a huge Rangers fan, and obviously there is a rivalry between our two teams. But seriously how does it get to the point where you actually get in a fight? There has got to be a point where you just settle your differences and move on. Those to me are the real un-classy fans out there.

So by all means boo the Flyers and say they suck! I will return the favor and do it to your Rangers haha

When Crosby comes to the garden the fans do the same thing (was at a Ranger-Pens game last season). It's all good in fun and agree with your post. Unclassy are like those SF giant fans who put a LA Dodger fan in the hospital in serious condition. There are those type of fans that deserve a real beating of their own. Of all teams I think philly gets more account to it because everyone but Philly dont like Philly Fans (plus i think there are more Philly fans than most who act like uncontrollable animals). Ive been to a bunch of stadiums of all the 4 major sports and this goes on everywhere (people throwing drinks at fans of the opposite team, shouting obscenties to women etc). I have friends and family who are fans of philly teams and dont act like that so it goes to a small %.

I thought it was the other way around. That Dodgers fans beat the snot out of a Giants fan in LA. That would make the most sense since the series was/is in SoCal right now.

When Crosby comes to the garden the fans do the same thing (was at a Ranger-Pens game last season). It's all good in fun and agree with your post. Unclassy are like those SF giant fans who put a LA Dodger fan in the hospital in serious condition. There are those type of fans that deserve a real beating of their own. Of all teams I think philly gets more account to it because everyone but Philly dont like Philly Fans (plus i think there are more Philly fans than most who act like uncontrollable animals). Ive been to a bunch of stadiums of all the 4 major sports and this goes on everywhere (people throwing drinks at fans of the opposite team, shouting obscenties to women etc). I have friends and family who are fans of philly teams and dont act like that so it goes to a small %.

Believe me, it's not the season ticket holders...It's the bozos who are given tickets or buy them from scalpers that sit in the lot before the game with a case of beer. (they're usually half tuned up before the ticket is even scanned)They are gonna "defend Philly's honor...(Our city, our building)...99% of the fans are decent. Its the other 1% that is an embarrasment. Im sure it's like that in every city. Real hockey fans (like those in this fourm) are generally good people, no matter what city, state or country. :thumbsup:

I thought it was the other way around. That Dodgers fans beat the snot out of a Giants fan in LA. That would make the most sense since the series was/is in SoCal right now.

Yea that may have been it. I got the 2 confused.

It's been six years now. The shootout isn't going anywhere. Everyone just has to accept that it's part of the game now. I don't like it either but that's the way it is. That's what playoff hockey is for though.

What makes you think it will stay as it is? Don't you believe down the road if players and/or teams start speaking out against how it hurts them come the end of the season, then don't you think it will be gone? It doesn't make sense to me to penalize teams for winning in a shootout, or even having a shootout, when in the playoffs there is nothing but OTs. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Believe me, it's not the season ticket holders...It's the bozos who are given tickets or buy them from scalpers that sit in the lot before the game with a case of beer. (they're usually half tuned up before the ticket is even scanned)They are gonna "defend Philly's honor...(Our city, our building)...99% of the fans are decent. Its the other 1% that is an embarrasment. Im sure it's like that in every city. Real hockey fans (like those in this fourm) are generally good people, no matter what city, state or country. :thumbsup:

I agree with what you are saying. There are good fans all over the place. It's just the idiots like you said, who give the others a bad rap. Unfortunately for the bigger markets like Philly, NY, Boston, who all have HUGE numbers of fans, there are going to be more obnoxious a******* at the games doing stupid $hit. But I agree that nearly all the members on this board are generally nice people and probably good fans who aren't the ones who start fights or yell dumb $hit.