Stanley Cups and Pin-Ups 2011

It's playoff time! This year's Western Conference previews are up on the site and ready for spirited debate! Seriously, the only reason I do this is to get a bunch of comments and talk hockey a bit, so please don't hesitate to chime in!

Eastern Conference picks will be up tomorrow morning. Yay hockey!

It's playoff time! This year's Western Conference previews are up on the site and ready for spirited debate! Seriously, the only reason I do this is to get a bunch of comments and talk hockey a bit, so please don't hesitate to chime in!

Eastern Conference picks will be up tomorrow morning. Yay hockey!

You have some pretty bold predictions there! :thumbsup: I like the illustrations too. I look forward to seeing your EC predictions.

Ask and you shall receive! Here's the East, may debate commence!

Ask and you shall receive! Here's the East, may debate commence!

Thanks! :thumbsup: Again, nice illustrations there. I agree with you about being "objective" about predicting a Penguins playoff series. Surely you are a fan as am I and it's sort of difficult to give straight up comments/analysis without bias interfering. Here's how I see things.

Penguins PK has been at the top of the league all season long. They once killed over 30 consecutive penalties at one point. In the playoffs you aren't going to see teams get 4 or 5 PPs per game. This is sort of a two-edged sword because the Penguins PP has struggled. So it will be interesting to see which team's PP clicks.

The only way I can see Tampa winning this series is if Roloson is OUTSTANDING in net. The guy is 41, and IMO he's NO Roy, Brodeur, Osgood, et. al, who are 40+ and are still solid. I think the longer this series goes, the more fatigued he will be. The goaltending advantage is definitely with Pittsburgh - Johnson is arguably one of the top backups in the NHL, so I am fine with him giving Fleury a rest at some point, and I have faith in him winning a big game.

Tampa has the advantage on offense, clearly with their big scorers. If they put up big numbers, then I would say Tampa in 6. But the Lightning have give up 234 goals this year, which is pretty bad.

Bottom line, defense and goaltending win in the playoffs. Yes scoring goals is important, but if you can't stop the opponent from scoring, you won't win. I would take Pittsburgh in 7.

XC, I would sincerely be fine with turning out to be wrong!

il_570xN.235693801.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

SOOOO no into it after last night, but I posted my art and picks for the Western Conference Semis. East tomorrow.