The Winnipeg Coyotes??

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/nhl-denies-latest-coyotes-rumour/article1983996/

Why this is just a rumor and not fact is beyond me. 15 years without a cent in profit? humm I think its time to move.

Hey Gary Bettman! why not open a team in New Mexico and call them the Santa Fe Bandidos or move them to Hawaii and them the Hawaiian Tiki's..

I hate you Gary.

Pfffft....hockey can't survive in Canada. Who cares if it's the national sport and is played year-round throughout the entire country? So what if it was created up there? It'll NEVER make it up there. Ever. They should take the Canadiens and Maple Leafs and move them to Corpus Christi and Key West respectively. If they can't make it there, they can't make it anywhere!

I was under the impression they were going to be called Manitoba Moose?

It seems very believable that they will move after the playoffs. Time to hoard Yotes jerseys?

ya man! defunct team jersey hoarding FTW!!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/nhl-denies-latest-coyotes-rumour/article1983996/

Why this is just a rumor and not fact is beyond me. 15 years without a cent in profit? humm I think its time to move.

Hey Gary Bettman! why not open a team in New Mexico and call them the Santa Fe Bandidos or move them to Hawaii and them the Hawaiian Tiki's..

I hate you Gary.

If not for Gary, you'd be buying jerseys of the Kansas City or Hamilton Penguins.

If not for Gary, you'd be buying jerseys of the Kansas City or Hamilton Penguins.

Very true. Bettman has done a lot for the franchises that are struggling. My hate is guided towards Colin Campbell, whoever is the head of officiating, Stephan Auger, and the doorman at the NHL offices. :thumbsup:

Very true. Bettman has done a lot for the franchises that are struggling. My hate is guided towards Colin Campbell, whoever is the head of officiating, Stephan Auger, and the doorman at the NHL offices. :thumbsup:

Don't forget Mike Murphy. :thumbsup:

I hate you Gary.

You must be a Balsille sympathiser. Fact is, he would have never got enough votes from the BOG. The way he went about going after the Pens, Predators, and Coyotes was enough to burn his bridges with the other owners. They, not Bettman, have the final say. If the Coyotes go to Winnipeg, fine. Because TNSE has done it the right way, not tried to do an end-around and play it out in BK court. If Dr. RIM would have been patient, Southern Ontario would have probably been odds on favorites for a relocated team. Blame Jimmy boy. He's the stupid one here. All his RIM money won't get the job done.

I was under the impression they were going to be called Manitoba Moose?

It seems very believable that they will move after the playoffs. Time to hoard Yotes jerseys?

They won't be called the Moose as the franchise is owned by the same group who will be bring the Jets home: True North Sports Enterprises. The Moose are one of the most successful franchises in the "A" and TNSE has expressed their desire to hang on to them and relocate. They have worked hard to build the "brand" and from what I hear, Thunder Bay sounds like a potential suitor for the team.

I believe (in my heart and my mind) that should the Coyotes come back to Winnipeg, they will have virtually no choice but to call them the Jets as it will simply take on an inertia of it's own.

The other name that is being rumored is the Falcons.

Sidebar: I believe we may get an announcement prior to game 4, if DET goes up 3-zip... That way the fans can say goodbye. Unless the lNHL/Bettman are particularly evil... Ok, wait a minute, forget it... who knows!!! :angry:

I don't think you are aware the Penguins never would have left Pittsburgh several years ago. The potential "relocation" was just a scam by the team to build a new arena. Mario and ownership came out and said they NEVER would have moved the team in the first place. Kind of a sad move to make an empty threat, but if that's the only way to get a new building, then why not?

They won't be called the Moose as the franchise is owned by the same group who will be bring the Jets home: True North Sports Enterprises. The Moose are one of the most successful franchises in the "A" and TNSE has expressed their desire to hang on to them and relocate. They have worked hard to build the "brand" and from what I hear, Thunder Bay sounds like a potential suitor for the team.

I believe (in my heart and my mind) that should the Coyotes come back to Winnipeg, they will have virtually no choice but to call them the Jets as it will simply take on an inertia of it's own.

The other name that is being rumored is the Falcons.

Sidebar: I believe we may get an announcement prior to game 4, if DET goes up 3-zip... That way the fans can say goodbye. Unless the lNHL/Bettman are particularly evil... Ok, wait a minute, forget it... who knows!!! :angry:

Thanks for clearing that up. I took out what I wanted to hear (they worked hard to market the Moose name, so they were going to keep the name Moose for the "new franchise"). On a side note, this would be an awesome NHL jersey Moose Away Gamer

I would be against Falcons, as there is already an NFL team with the name Falcons and it gets confusing lol :thumbsup:

Who knows...tonight could be the last night for the Phoenix Coyotes. I am bidding on a Yotes jersey, so NOBODY OUTBID me please?!?!

Oh relax. You honestly think that's the ONLY Coyotes jersey you'll ever find again? Just wait until the summertime and you'll be able to get five Starter jerseys for $60 total.

Oh relax. You honestly think that's the ONLY Coyotes jersey you'll ever find again? Just wait until the summertime and you'll be able to get five Starter jerseys for $60 total.

Wait? What is this wait thing you speak of? Does not sound like fun. I am sure there will be others, but I found a nice one I would like to get now. I really do have some serious waiting issues.

Wouldn't it be sort of the opposite? Jets jerseys are pretty rare and go for over half of $1k, right? If Phoenix actually does leave, I would think the value of their older jerseys would increase because they would be considered a "defunct" team. If anything, I would say RIGHT NOW is the time to start jumping on Coyotes jerseys before they dry up for a while.

Wouldn't it be sort of the opposite? Jets jerseys are pretty rare and go for over half of $1k, right? If Phoenix actually does leave, I would think the value of their older jerseys would increase because they would be considered a "defunct" team. If anything, I would say RIGHT NOW is the time to start jumping on Coyotes jerseys before they dry up for a while.

The Jets, Whalers and possibly Nords (not certain on that one) didn't get to be rare or worth a lot of money overnight. It's not until it's been a couple years and the nostalgia sets in that prices go up. Also since they stop making them once a team leaves, supply will dry up.

In the meantime, just like the jersey of a player who gets traded, I'd expect most Coyotes stuff to go through a period of closeouts and markdowns (for the NWT retail items). Because the retail jerseys will be so cheap, it will invariably affect the secondary market of older Coyotes jersey.

Over time, there'll be less and less jerseys out there and the nostalgia will kick in, probably thanks to rap/pop star wearing a Coyotes jersey in a music video even though the kid was 4 when the team folded, and then the value will go up.

The Jets, Whalers and possibly Nords (not certain on that one) didn't get to be rare or worth a lot of money overnight. It's not until it's been a couple years and the nostalgia sets in that prices go up. Also since they stop making them once a team leaves, supply will dry up.

In the meantime, just like the jersey of a player who gets traded, I'd expect most Coyotes stuff to go through a period of closeouts and markdowns (for the NWT retail items). Because the retail jerseys will be so cheap, it will invariably affect the secondary market of older Coyotes jersey.

Over time, there'll be less and less jerseys out there and the nostalgia will kick in, probably thanks to rap/pop star wearing a Coyotes jersey in a music video even though the kid was 4 when the team folded, and then the value will go up.

Right, I agree. I guess I was trying to say that in several years if the 'Yotes do in fact leave Phoenix, their jerseys might gain some value. The Nords, Jets, and Whalers have been gone for at least 15 years now and their authentics as well as game worns are pretty valuable. So IMO if you give the Coyotes jerseys that time (pending a franchise does not return to Phoenix), then I would say their jerseys would be valuable, particularly the Starter ones.

I was also trying to illustrate the point that if one wants a 'Yotes jersey, now for a little while is the best time to pick one up. Waiting 5 years might be a mistake.

Waiting 5 years might be a mistake.

Gotcha - I thought you were talking about a much shorter time frame.

Snoop is awesome, don't knock his contribution to the hockey jersey community.

Don't say that. I have a whole bag full of Starter Coyotes jerseys.

Don't say that. I have a whole bag full of Starter Coyotes jerseys.

Just hang on to them. They will be worth something someday if in fact Phoenix does leave. Refer to my post above. :thumbsup:

Just hang on to them. They will be worth something someday if in fact Phoenix does leave. Refer to my post above. :thumbsup:

They've been in the same place for 11 years now, and I don't foresee that changing anytime soon. I didn't buy them thinking that this situation might happen. Always loved that design and prices were right at the time and I had the money. I was a hoarder long before they had reality shows about that.

They've been in the same place for 11 years now, and I don't foresee that changing anytime soon. I didn't buy them thinking that this situation might happen. Always loved that design and prices were right at the time and I had the money. I was a hoarder long before they had reality shows about that.

I just heard last night the NHL is working with the Coyotes on "financial negotiations" to keep the team in Phoenix. Nothing is certain yet, but Phoenix might not leave after all.

• 2 weeks later...

So from what I understand about the Coyotes as of right now is, it depends on who buys the team. If the NHL sells the franchise to a buyer who is committed to keeping the team in Glendale, then that's likely what will happen. I'm not sure of who is in the running or the odds of this happening. However, I do know there is a buyer from Canada, obviously looking to move the team back to Winnipeg. If the NHL sells the Coyotes to this buyer, then the franchise is going to Winnipeg.

But if the team is not sold to them, then I understand the Canadian buyer will look to relocate ANOTHER franchise to Winnipeg. A lot of talk has it that it may be the Atlanta Thrashers.

Anyone else have any updates about Phoenix?

But if the team is not sold to them, then I understand the Canadian buyer will look to relocate ANOTHER franchise to Winnipeg. A lot of talk has it that it may be the Atlanta Thrashers.

If the Thrasher move to Winnipeg, that'll imbalance the Eastern and Western Conferences.

Personally I'd love it if that meant Columbus could move to the East. However, I think it'd be more likely that Nashville just move over and take Atlanta's spot in the SE division.

If the Thrasher move to Winnipeg, that'll imbalance the Eastern and Western Conferences.

Personally I'd love it if that meant Columbus could move to the East. However, I think it'd be more likely that Nashville just move over and take Atlanta's spot in the SE division.

You make a good point about this. Personally, if this were to happen, and Atlanta were to relocate to Winnipeg, then I think the NHL should do a MAJOR overhaul and realign the divisions. Get rid of "East" and "West" and go back to the old divisions - Adams, Patrick, Smythe, Norris along with the Wales and Campbell Conferences- and shuffle the teams, but keep it geographically reasonable. For instance, don't put Vancouver in a division with Tampa Bay and Boston.

But I highly doubt the NHL would do a major overhaul like this. To me, it makes more sense to move Phoenix than Atlanta because of the geography. Phoenix is in the West and so is Winnipeg. No problem there. If the league does move Atlanta, then people might complain if Nashville is in the East, when geographically, Columbus, Detroit are further "East" than Nashville. That would be a mess trying to fix those divisions.

Bottom line is moving the Coyotes is the most logical decision. Whether it actually happens is obviously to be determined.