Zig-zag sewing machine

Kaiser416

Just wondering if anyone here does their own customizations for fun or recommend a cheap but decent sewing machine for the job at home. I'm thinking of trying some kits on replicas as a hobby and also have family members that tailor as a profession but just don't have the machine for the zig-zag pattern. Any ideas?

I think it's because they are all sewn by hand.

Yer gonna need a tape measure and about 4 days per number. :lol::doh:

J/K but when you get good let me know, I have a few you can do for me.

I'm betting you could make a career out of it with all the guys on here wanting to add names / numbers.

I am interested to learn as well...it might be cheaper to buy the sewing machine and do it myself with the pile of kits and jerseys I have lol

Edit: Is this sewing machine decent for jerseys? http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/electronicsgames/sewingmachinesaccessories/sewingmachines/PRD~685059/Singer+2932+Sewing+Machine.jsp

Edited by NYIJM29

My mom has been sewing for 30 years and I've had her sew the leafs logo down on a premier jersey as a test. Turned out great, just need the zig-zag sewing machine. One great thing about doing it in-house is that there is no worry about turn-around time. You do it when you feel like.

I know with Kohls they have frequent sales...does Sears?

Is it really that hard to sew stuff? I will obviously try it out on easily replacable replica jerseys, but if I have nothing better to do over my summer vacation...do you think I can learn? I am relatively careful and can learn on the fly.

I've worked in a sail loft for a few years and do my own sweater stitch work too. You need to find a machine that has a fair amount of adjustability. The spacing provided by some kits especially layered and kiss cut numbers varies. Craigslist has a good amount but you need to check out their setting capability. Learn about your machine before stepping up to twill. Try some shirts and scraps for a while. On a final note backstitching is key to making a good hold and things look clean. Make sure your machine can go in reverse and practice going from full on forward to back as you need to do that at corners or you will have a gap. Any of you Feel free to PM me with any questions I'll be happy to help.

Try looking at thrift stores, garage sales, or craigslist and kijiji locally (think it's ebay classified if you're in the states) for a used sewing machine that zig-zags.

I've got an old singer that zig-zags at a local thrift stores and have used it many times for customizing jerseys - with tackle twill material (numbers, names, and sometimes making simpler logos). Have bought the tackle twill from a local seamstress who does customization for a few local hockey shops, and also have bought the twill online from twill usa and stahls.

If you ever have problems with stitches skipping, it's likely your machine's needle is just dull and you need a new one. Also, use a gauge of needle that is made for heavier material and not just a general use needle.

I borrow my mom's serger for enlarging jerseys (to make some around the same size as a goalie cut) or for shrinking them - a lot easier than a regular sewing machine for that part.

also have bought the twill online from twill usa and stahls.

How did you order from stahls? I thought you had to be in the industry.

That would be great.

On another note have any of you guys ever made your own kits? Either printing and cutting or own a plotter?

Any particular brand/model machines you guys recommend? for start up stitching and/or better quality stitchings?

My mom was a seamstress until arthritis ended that part time at home job, but she had 3 expensive machines made by bernina that would probably be overkill. I'm sure any midrange sewing machine would do the job. I think the most important thing would be practicing on some tshirts with cheap patches then moving on to jerseys.

How did you order from stahls? I thought you had to be in the industry.

That would be great.

On another note have any of you guys ever made your own kits? Either printing and cutting or own a plotter?

I think Stahls just asked for a business name (believe it was stahls.ca but .com may be the same) - I was still listed as a member (V.P. ?) of a business my dad still had registered (a training business) so I just used that business name and my home address with no problem.

Have made names and numbers for jerseys. Have just printed out letters/numbers and glued to thin cardboard and then traced around cardboard onto the back of the tackle twill. Sometimes have used a pic online and have blown up the pics and printed out the name or number then used a ruler to straighten out the fuzziness from blowing up the pic so large; other times just have 'eyeballed' a pic and tried to approximate it by hand. Also have made some logos (north stars, cincinatti stingers, original canucks, german eagle, etc.)